Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Charging issue

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Seeholmez, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Seeholmez

Seeholmez
    from san diego

Hi Everyone,
    I have a 283 from a 57 corvette (2x4, 270hp) in my 31 coupe. Yesterday I got caught in a pretty heavy downpour (open hood) so lots of water getting on the engine, etc. I noticed as I was driving that the voltage was getting down to 10-11... I turned my headlights off and the voltage was running at about 12.

When I got home I proceeded to check the generator by disconnecting it and grounding the field terminal. (while measuring voltage on the armature.) When doing this test I get high voltage 25-30, while slightly revving) I didn't see how high, just revved for a quick second.
    Without the F terminal grounded it reads about 1.5V at the Arm. This seemed to be ok so I proceeded to pick up a replacement regulator at the local auto parts store. I swapped regulators and still the same issue. Its not unthinkable that I have a bod out of box regulator but just curious If I may be overlooking something simple. I had to cut the troubleshooting short as it got too late.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

When you change a component I usually re polarize it also. Gary

theshape likes this.
  3. I would look for a bad connection, also take a little time and an air hose and blow the generator out. Could be that a wet generator is your problem. Not a common problem but not entirely out of the question.

Did you by chance get a regulator that you can open up or is it a sealed one?

theshape likes this.
  4. Tim O'Kelley

Tim O'Kelley
    from texas

Repolarize and ground voltage regulator case.

theshape likes this.

5. Is the belt tight?

theshape likes this.
  6. On dunked boat engines, we used to rinse the electrics in fresh water, place them in an oven on warm for an hour or two. Worked every time.

theshape likes this.
  7. Good catch Rick. ^^^

theshape likes this.
  8. Seeholmez

Seeholmez
    from san diego

Thanks for all the replies guys. The belt is tight. I actually put a new one on recently so the tension is set and it runs smooth and straight. I didnt mention it but I did a quick polarization last night as well. I will go over the connections and check the ground when I get home this evening. I will also blow the case out, thats a great idea.
    porknbeaner, The old and new regulator are both the type you can open up. Thanks again guys this really helps.

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Worked in a power house for 30 years on numerous electric motors . Baking the windings is the answer if they have been wet

10. Seeholmez

Seeholmez
    from san diego

Hey fellas, got home and had another look and ended up being a sketchy ground. Cleaned it up snd tightened it and all good. Thanks for all the great suggestions! I definitely have a few more tools for future situations. Have a good night. Craig

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for reporting back on the solution.