Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Removing paint & undercoat (FWIW)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Noller, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

I'm one of those guys who has to remove all the layers and start from metal as bare as I can get it. Have been using that Airplane Paint Remover since it's been effective on everything I've used it for down thru the years. Was in Home Depot today and decided to try Kleen Strip Premium "Strongest" for my project Kaiser's inside floor. I found this stuff (at around $21.95 for a gallon) to be just as good as the Airplane I probably paid twice that much for.
    When they built these Kaisers they sprayed on a think layer of undercoating inside and painted over it. What a mess. There are rust patches under some of it, so I decided to scrape it all off.

2. town sedan

town sedan

Interesting, here's a bump
    -Dave

3. fordor41

fordor41

We stripped all the factory paint from our '41. Used Kleen-strip semi-paste. Coated a panel, waited about 20 min and with a razor blade all paint & primer peeled off in one swipe. Had a slight am't of primer left and was gone with one more thin coat of stripper. Probably took 2 days to completely strip a Fordor to bare metal. A gallon went a long way.

4. Mengestwinspeedshop

Mengestwinspeedshop
    from Santa Rosa

Media blasting would be the easiest but probably not the cheapest!

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

On the plus side, all that undercoating kept that metal clean, so be thankful that the Kasier did that.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Tom, Does the Kleen Strip smell as good as the Airplane stuff? I just got three free cans and my front fenders look much better now. Bob

7. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Bob - Not that I raised the can I'm poring the stuff into to my nose, but no, I don't detect the toxic aroma we've been used to, from the Kleen Strip. And yes, JC, I agree; Kaiser did us a favor 60 years ago by coating the floors!

8. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

That should be 'pouring'. duh...

9. I'll try it on the bottom of my floors. I got a lot of it off towards the front of the car with a power washer, Krud Kutter and a lot of effort.