Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FInally got the steelies and poverty caps on my easter egg colored 62 bel air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HB., Mar 27, 2016.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I never heard of "Pie Tins" but whoever coined the term "Poverty Caps" should be shot, hung, quartered, drawn, burned, boiled, and fed to the lions.

2. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Thanks for the info Fellas that will help a ton. Going to be putting one together for a Bud and I think he's leaning towards the steels and caps. I appreciate the help. Joe

3. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

4. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice ride! 235 and PG?

5. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i usually refer to them as 'hub caps' in constrast to 'wheel covers'.

Nailhead Brooklyn likes this.
  6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Also heard dog dishes called Police Caps.

Gary

7. HB.

HB.
    from East TN

235 and 3 speed manual. I put a Langdon mini HEI on it and I've put thousands of reliable miles on it getting surprisingly good gas mileage. Love this engine!

Thanks again everyone! Guess I should be careful who I say "poverty caps" in front of from now on :D

8. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Poverty Caps, Dog Dish, Police Caps, Little Caps, it's all the same. Usually when you say any of them people know just what your talking about! So to me personally it's all good! Joe

9. bigpokie

bigpokie

You said spindles and spring, but are you running disc up front or drums ? And what drop are the springs ?Either way, which brand did you end up running with ? I'm hopefully going to get mine back on the road this year.

10. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Its more about how it looks than what you call them.
    I'm putting steelies and " Dog Dish " caps on my 63 Belair. Came originally with 14" wheels and I picked up a set of Rally's and tires on the cheap just to get 15's on the car. Just now getting around to getting it back to the cool look of the steelies. Not done with what I'm doing to the car so no pics.
    She's got a 230 inline with a later model Saginaw 2016-04-02 10.13.52.jpg three speed in her. Split exhaust and dual carbs. It amazes me how much of a crowd pleaser the motor is...

11. HB.

HB.
    from East TN

Discs, which is why I had to run 15's. The spindles/disc swap is something I picked up off eBay..I know the spindles themselves are mcgaughy's. The front springs are CPP, the rear are stock that are cut and the panhard bar is POL. Spindles are 2.5" and springs are 2" drop. I cut 1.5 coils off of the rear. I have no idea what the shocks are, my dad bought the stock out of a local shop a long time ago and they're something we had on the shelf that fit.

Looks good!

12. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Ok.....I finished doing some mods on the 63 and got her back on the ground. 2016-04-05 10.23.41.jpg

13. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

You're bringin' back great memories! My first "antique" car was a near twin to yours, known around my high school as the Green Machine. Mine was an Impala, but there wasn't much difference outside besides a white top and full wheel covers. UNder the hood was a 283 and Powerglide.

The steelies and hubcaps look great! I'm building a 1962 Ford truck now, and playing with variations on that same wheel treatment.

14. dad-bud

dad-bud

Those early 60s cars from the Big 3 only need a killer stance with some tyre stuffed up in the guards to look great. Even the basic poverty pack grocery getters look fine. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-N9005 using H.A.M.B. mobile app