Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Brakes - '39 to '48

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by von Dyck, Mar 29, 2016.

1. von Dyck

von Dyck

A few years ago I purchased a set of bonded lining brake shoes for '39 to '41 Ford. Two shoes have tan colored linings (full length) and two shoes have grey colored linings (full length). They have been 'arced' to fit the drums properly. What I need to know is, which color lining faces forward (primary) and which color faces rearward (secondary)?

2. I have been around early Fords for a long time but have never heard of color coding the shoes to tell their location. Maybe I have just lead a sheltered life or maybe it was something that was common in Canada. I would suggest posting the question on fordbarn.com.

Charlie Stephens

3. alchemy

alchemy

The way to tell which is front vs. back is by length of lining, not color. I forget which goes where, but I know it's opposite what modern brakes do.

I'd be worried that the two colors are from different types of lining, and shouldn't be used together.

4. The shoe with the longest lining goes to the front . This is the leading shoe the other with the shorter lining is the trailing shoe.

5. I sure you would have seen it, if it was present; but in the past sometimes "primary" or "secondary"printed on the side of the lining. Seen different colored linings too; but was able tell the location by the length. Kinda goofy they are the same length, thought that was a modern "repop" thing.

6. von Dyck

von Dyck

I understand thoroughly the Bendix duo-servo systems - rebuilt hundreds of them. They used two different lining materials as well as lining lengths. But, the '39 to '48 Ford system operates differently than the very common Bendix. Someone on here must know the answer. I can wait!

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The light shoe is the lead shoe. That's the way we were taught in '68, anyway. Relined shoes used to come light colored short shoe, dark long shoe ...

8. But the long lining goes to the front. ???

9. sdroadster

sdroadster

Lockeed brakes (39-48 Ford) require the long shoe in the front. That is opposite of modern Bendix style brakes

10. The different colour lining indicates a different coefficient of friction for each segment.
    On the early Ford Lockheed Brakes the forward is the primary shoe and uses a higher friction segment which is longer, as opposed to the Bendix style brakes that used the rear shoe as the primary shoe that is longer and use a higher friction segment.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    bct likes this.
  11. sdcoupe33

sdcoupe33

12. Bader2

Bader2

Lockheed long shoe to front,bendix short shoe to front.

13. von Dyck

von Dyck

Thanks everyone - good discussion. Thanks SDcoupe33 for the "flatheadv8" web site answered a lot of questions.
    Hemi deuce: you are correct in your observation that the color of the lining material is an indication of the coefficient of friction of the lining. Therefore, is the tan a softer material than the grey? Regardless of length?

14. Hemi deuce: you are correct in your observation that the color of the lining material is an indication of the coefficient of friction of the lining. Therefore, is the tan a softer material than the grey? Regardless of length?[/QUOTE]

The colours and materials could differ by manufacturer.

Asbestos based friction has different colours than Non Asbestos which is mostly the same colour.