Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can't wipe the smile from my face!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackout78666, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Have you got a shot of the cross section of the stuff you made your gutters out of?

I can't quite make out if they are solid or a channel. Looks good either way, it's on my list of things to figure out myself

2. blackout78666

blackout78666

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458848306.510250.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458848319.159098.jpg
    Here ya go Tim. 20 gauge steel bent up in the brake. Was able to hand form it a little bit in the back but ended up having to do a little stretching. Then plug welded it from the inside and then finish off the little bit of bumps with a roloc disc.

Tim likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool thanks man! I guess going from the inside with the plugs would let you weld up all those slots in the body at the same time.

4. blackout78666

blackout78666

That was the plan! Focused the welds towards the bottom of the channel Worked like a charm. Again with the roloc disc I cleaned the shit out of the inside metal. That old thin sheetmetal loves to turn small holes into big ones if there is some rust in there.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I can see that, and I suppose welding the slots alows a gap for the very little rain that would run behind the channel instead of in to it

6. blackout78666

blackout78666

Well shit I couldn't stop there. Decided while the welder was outside to go ahead and stitch up the seams. A little shrinking and they layed right down in the channel
    image.jpeg
    I finished up the back and gutters and got a wild hair up my ass to finish it up. So fill, sand, prime, sand, fill, prime,paint, BAM!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    It's far from perfect but so am I. Add some more to my bug collection tomorow when I put down the clear. Onward!!!!

7. Sick!!! Nice man. Love the color to!

8. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

It even looks like it'd be fun as hell to drive. Well done!

9. blackout78666

blackout78666

Thanks guys. Are y'all related?? Ha! Got the paint finished up and cleared today. Fogged in some house of color root beer candy over the base coat and around the Windows and cowl. Totally forgot to paint the grille. Duh. Not too many bugs making their death wiggle through the clear.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

10. 41 C28

41 C28

Good for you that first ride is the best.

11. Looks really good!! I hope I can get my sedan looking that good with a home spun paint job. Love the color too.

12. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Very nice, really like the color!

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Very cool. Nice hotrod

14. blackout78666

blackout78666

Thanks for the kind words. Putting this together has been a lot of fun, frustration,learning,pure shit eating grinnedness. Finding time is the hardest part to get. Lots more to do ( now that all the welding in the back is done I can get rid of the patented moon tank and straps and hook up the fuel tank in the back. Going to buzz it around for a while then modify the rear for a Quickchange I have built for it. Have a 29 roadster that's up on deck next. 32 frame, Quickchange, Hemi, top loader, torque tube , old mor drop front axle. Been collecting parts for it for a bit. Drove up to Utah to pick it up this last winter. Running down the road with no windshield lit a fire to get the roadster started.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459083580.248620.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459083637.806310.jpg
    Here it is at arches state park in Utah and squirreled away in a corner of the shop. Drives me nuts looking at it everyday. Perhaps this time next year it will be on the road.

kidcampbell71 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Congrats on the build, looks great.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oh heck yeah! I'm loving this, glad I noticed the update that you painted it or if have been walking in circles trying to find ya in a few weeks haha.

That 32 headers really growing on me, if I ever wack our sedan that might have to happen as well! Keep grindin ;)

17. DRH

DRH

Blackout, I read this post at just the right time, because I just did a shakedown run in my 63 galaxie under similar conditions yesterday...no windshield, no glass, gutted interior except for dash. A couple small runs then i strapped on a motorcycle helmet and nailed it to the floor. Didn't have the balls to go above 70 but I had the same shit eating grin and the same rattling door linkages and tools laying around on the floorboard. No other feeling like it in the world and no drug can touch it. Awesome man.

Tim likes this.
  18. blackout78666

blackout78666

19. blackout78666

blackout78666

I'm gonna start a roadster club for coupes and sedans. Just take out the front windshield and rear glass and your in. Who's next?????

Tim likes this.
  20. Since your in Texas I'll join here in Va and start a nomad chapter!!!

blackout78666 likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Stopped by the car yesterday but they said you weren't around, looks great! Proportions feel really nice in person and seems like it'd be a ton of fun to throw sideways :) image.jpeg

22. blackout78666

blackout78666

Hahahaha. Yes it is. It was dirt road white and full of grass a few days ago. See y'all out there later today.

Tim likes this.
  23. Damn, I'd be smiling too! That is one fine ride!

24. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

25. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

I agree with Don I love that Buick Nail Head. Use to see a lot of them back in the Sixties. Not many any more. Super build

26. blackout78666

blackout78666

Thanks. Yesterday was a blur. So much cool shit. Aside from the surprise cloudburst it was a perfect day. Still lots more to do and I'm bummed I missed ya Tim! Headed out to the Sunday slow ride at Oasis Texas brewing co today out at the lake. Hope to see y'all there. Found this cool pic on Instagram of my car. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460293239.523530.jpg
    Credit to eastcoastmike
    Have a great Sunday!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Currently on our way back to Missouri sorry to have missed you. There was so much going on it was truly overwhelming.

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

And why is there no build thread on this bad bitch from when you first got it? I for one believe than sedans can be the coolest. Glad you have done updates since the gigglefest voyage though. Tons of us would have spotted the bolts in axle and sent you wedges before the close call. So glad you and the car are safe and here to post some more.

30. blackout78666

blackout78666

There are so many good build threads on here I was just hesitant to post. Until I had something worth posting I guess. Even now sometimes I'll type shit up and then delete it. I enjoy reading others posts more than my own and up until this year I came outta my shell. Been a longtime lurker I guess. But the positive feedback on the car is cool. I think it's cool. That some of y'all on here do too is humbling. Been trolling Instagram for pics from the roundup. So much cool shit!!! It's overwhelming. Have a safe trip Tim. We'll catch up next time. Didn't have the heart to kick this gal off my tire ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460409744.268335.jpg haha

Nailhead Jason likes this.