Register now to get rid of these ads!

After some advice? 33 coupe freshen up/Hop up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fnjunk, Dec 27, 2014.

1. The good looking guy in the photos looks to be doing all the heavy lifting on this build, but I guess you have to look after the old timers...

2. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Haven't had time to do much lately but the mail man made me smile the other day ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457601276.509194.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457601303.962638.jpg hopefully will fit it up this weekend.

3. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457898870.277949.jpg
    Nothing is simple fitted up the Harman Collins on the weekend,as usual one step forward two steps back!
    Ran in to a problem the 33 fan I fitted up to the 39 genny is not going to work as the fan blades are going to hit the magneto.
    I have already spaced the fan about 1&1/2 forward but would need another 2" for it to clear the mag but with the radiator leaning back this is Not going to work !!!!
    Have to make a Decision weather to scrap the magneto idea or run a termo fan which I think is too modern for the car. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457899415.986875.jpg
    Any other suggestions guys?

4. Darren can you run a slightly smaller diameter fan, possibly six blade to compensate for the reduced diameter?.
    Al.

fnjunk likes this.
  5. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Not sure I will be able to find one Al as mine in only 15 & 1/2" in diameter so not liking my chances.

6. I have a 15&1/2" with a 2&1/2" hub if it helps. Maybe cut the diameter down a bit and relieve the other side for mag clearance. Cost you postage.

7. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Thanks heaps Duncan any chance you can send me a couple of pics of it?

8. Król

Król

fnjunk likes this.
  9. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Put a few hours in this weekend ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458463539.782202.jpg
    Messed around with fuel lines
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458463582.032125.jpg
    Not sure if I'm happy with them?
    This it the third attempt.

10. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Went around and gave Dirty fuel a hand with his gear box today hopefully this old girl will be back on the road next week end ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458463982.215817.jpg

ALCAN AV8, kidcampbell71 and waxhead like this.
  11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn this thing look so killer!!!! Interesting to see the HC Mag not fitting. We were going to install one in my '33 fitted to a race motor for TROG but I thought it might be a little tight. Did you get that from FRAMES here on the HAMB?

12. Thanks for the help on Saturday FNJUNK, hopefully we have sorted that gearbox out.

Now down to business ... are you going to run the beehive oil filter or what? I vote yes as I love seeing them on the firewall of a traditional hot rod! Make the call!

13. cool build!

fnjunk likes this.
  14. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great looking build! Are you going to run thermostats? I've heard both arguments for and against...

15. I LIKE THIS HOT ROD........VERY NICE WORK

fnjunk likes this.
  16. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

I was going to run with them.
    I didn't run them in my last flathead. They came with another engine I purchase so I thought if run with them on this as I am intending to drive her all year round.
    What are the arguments against?

17. Was thinking about this, and options. Originally I thought maybe if you removed the fan spacer, and potentially added one to the mag, you could run the fan just tucked in behind the body, but that would leave you really needing a fan shroud ring around the fan to allow the fan to effectively draw air through radiator. However, what if you made a spacer (and 45 degree offset coupling) for the mag, and potentially rotate the mag body 45 degree's? Providing you can maintain the effective relationship of the rotating elements, and sufficient clearance for the belt and lower radiator hose, would this not allow clearance for the fan?
    Short of those two, not sure where you could go other than to save the mag for another day sadly, as fitting a thermo would be a kick in the teeth considering the remainder of the build, and overpowering both the aesthetic and functional elements, after all, how much charge do you think the Gen will support?
    Regardless, enjoying your thread, great car, and a credit to you, and it's previous caretakers.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

18. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Sorry brother just like the windscreen wipers I have to disagree with you.
    I think the bee hive on the firewall is going to make it look too busy.
    Going to save that one for another build.
    Some day

19. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Thanks Drewfus for your suggestions but don't really want to run the mag on a angle at all that's one reason I didn't run lead plates.
    Yes a kick in the teeth is correct!
    If I go with a termo then yes I would have to go powergen also.
    So leaving it for another build may be the case.
    Going to try another couple of fan options first.
    There are some really great people on this forum for instance Duncan an Alliance member has sent me a fan to try out free of charge all the way from Canada!
    Thanks Duncan .
    I'm thinking as Big Al suggested might shorten the fins and see how that go's.
    If not a crab it will be.
    Will keep you posted once it lands and I make the mods.
    Cheers Fnjunk

Drewfus, 509garyd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. I still hate those windscreen wipers!!!

21. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Come on mate. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458718924.509175.jpg

22. You cant see the ugly connecting rod in your wiper photo! I still hate it, hated it from the moment we put it on! Probably the only thing on the car I don't like.

23. I think you could easily store them inside, only to see the light of day when necessary.....;-)

24. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Got a little done on Sunday
    Brakes bleed & adjusted.
    Pushed the old girl out front gave her a bath. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459726454.744832.jpg
    Dirty fuel took this pic I love it! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459726515.029184.jpg

25. Stunning....

fnjunk likes this.
  26. Very nice...

fnjunk likes this.
  27. gilby

gilby

keep it, and build it your way--enjoy it. i did. gilby

fnjunk and 509garyd like this.
  28. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

33 went today to have the exhaust made & mufflers fitted,took the advise of fellow Hambers went with Porters mufflers.
    Steve at Porters could not have been more helpful.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460018807.077859.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460018843.026914.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  29. Can't wait to hear what she sounds like with those porters!