Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Intake manifold chalky after cleaning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdimpala64, Mar 28, 2016.

1. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

This weekend I cleaned an intake manifold with Eagle One etching mag clear and it
    looked great. This morning I noticed the inside of the intake looked a little white
    and chalky, just the inside. Will this chalky residue ruin an engine? How do I stop
    it from forming. Thanks for the help.

2. squirrel

squirrel

prevent it by not using acid to clean aluminum parts...

Jet96 and falcongeorge like this.
  3. Or wash the shit out of the inside like you do the outside.

I have used Eagle one for non-coated mags for intakes and I always do one of two things, I was the inside just like the outside or I tape it off so the inside doesn't get all mucked up. The chalky residue probably won't hurt the engine but it will not stop chalking until you clean it properly.

4. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

porknbeaner,
    What can I do to clean it properly? Only the inside is getting chalky not the outside.
    Do I use the cleaner again and rinse it better, or just use soap and water?

5. That 'chalk' is the cleaner eating the aluminum... Those types of cleaners have to be thoroughly rinsed off raw aluminum or this is the result. Scrub the snot out of it with hot soapy water, that probably won't remove all the oxidization but should prevent it from getting worse.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would mix a good quantity of baking soda in there as well.

turboroadster likes this.

7. ^^^ this is what I would do. If you have a pressure washer get it clean and soapy then power wash it.

8. Simple Green is another cleaner that you have to be careful with around aluminum. Same thing apples, make sure you get it all off before it dries. The FAA actually banned it from aircraft use after it was traced to a couple of plane crashes...

9. baking soda and water will neutralize the acid

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like falcongeorge says, you have to lower the ph and neutralize the activity or else...your intake could do a "Lot's wife" impersonation except rather than salt it will be a pillar of aluminum oxide.

11. town sedan

town sedan

Sounds like the intake is already on the engine. Time for some fresh gaskets after it's pulled and cleaned inside and out.
    -Dave

12. sdimpala64

sdimpala64
    from SD CA

Thanks to everybody for the advice.