Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage FUNNIEST THING OVERHEARD AT CRUISE OR SHOW?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes, says it all...

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  2. Part of the problem is that the non-car-people public watch those 95% drama car shows on TV and believe what they see and hear. I hear dumb stuff... "Are you going to sell the car when you finish it?".

My response is "When your child turns 3 are you going to put him or her up for adoption?".

I watch few car shows on TV and the non-car crowd finds that hard to believe.

volvobrynk and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I had my shoebox at Paso Robles around 2000. This one:
    !Vic34Shade.JPG
    A guy came up to me, telling me how much he loved my car. He went on at length about the color, finish, all the details he admired. Then he said, "I just love Studebakers."

I had to tell him that I like them too, but that my car is a Ford.

4. Fedman

Fedman

I never get tired of seeing my favourite Ford Shoe Box.
    A stunning example of custom creativity with the perfect amount of restraint. :)

5. 46stude

46stude

I get questions like that about my T=Bird alot, too. I mention to Joe Public at the gas station that I'm going to the Roundup or some other car venue, & someone always says "Oh, how much do you think you'll get for it?".

6. Dang, that's purdy!!

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thank you!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No its not, its got that round thing in the grill!!;):p

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. [​IMG]

And in my honesty opinion the nicest Shoebox on on the hamb ! HRP

10. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I've told this one before. At a liqueur store a kid about ten asks me how much to buy my model a. I told him "- case of beer, fifty cheese burgers and a box of fireworks" he just said "wow" all drawn out like. I'm sure it may as well have been a million dollars for him.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

weps, Truck64, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  11. Yours is a true beauty !

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I restored an OT 66 Fairlane convertible many years ago and had someone come up to me and congratulate me on the wonderful job I'd done on cutting the roof off, lengthening the front doors and making a folding roof, it almost looks like a factory car!

I then proceed to tell him that it was a factory LHD car that I converted to RHD to which he replied that Ford never made a convertible Fairlane. I then politely had to correct him and point out the many subtle differences to local Ozzie cars by starting with the BBF (390FE) and C6 and if he looked closely enough he'll note the console and different dash. The list went on and he eventually started to believe me. It was a rare car then, wish I still had it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad and I are sitting behind his RPU last Spring at an every Friday night cruise in. I see this guy walking down the sidewalk in front of the McDonalds. I am wondering about him and sort of keep an eye on him as he makes his way from car to car towards Dad's rod. His hair is all matted and he is sort of limping. He is barefoot, wearing pajama bottoms and a hospital gown. He still has the hospital bracelet on his wrist. He has obviously recently checked HIMSELF out of an area hospital or simply wandered off etc. Anyway we watch him limp around Dad's car and I am thinking maybe I should call 911.

Finally he speaks up. "Is this your car?" Dad says yes. He says..."nice!" Dad says thanks. He asks '26 or '27. Dad says a bit of both. He says, "You know the main difference between them was the size of the door hinges." Dad says you are right. He walks to the front and says, "I haven't seen 283 power pack heads in a long time." Then looking down between the firewall and engine he says, "327 and a glide, nice." He gives a thumbs up and wanders to car beside us. Dad looks over and gives me the "I am impressed" facial expression and return it with the "Who Knew" shoulder shrug.

The "Outpatient" says to the guy next door, "I like those Hudson tail lights on there." They owner says no those are Mercury. The guy says, "I don't think so." The owner says well I should know. The guy just nods and heads off to the next car. The owner pulled out his phone and says I am calling the cops, I think that guy escaped from a looney bin! Dad says he might have, but he is sane enough to know Hudson lights when he sees them. I about fell out of my chair laughing.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    BradinNC, Saxman, weps and 15 others like this.
  14. Jealousy is an evil thing.

15. stimpy

stimpy

if it was a 50 Pontiac it would be the Radio speaker ...

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I have a Pontiac speaker in the garage (really)! Maybe I should put that in my Studebaker...uhh, Shoebox.

lothiandon1940 and falcongeorge like this.
  18. A little OT but not far,years ago I would go to local Cad dealership and buy older four door sedan devilles cut tops off have my friend cut and put snaps on piece of nagu and had a cheap fun convertable.Drive all summer and sell for$$ when done, one day at local drive in get one of them " I had one just like that" so I think will get this guy ask him where is the botton to put top up he gets in reaches down under radio looks around then looks at me says "YOU HAVE MOVED THE SWITCH" . Gets out slowly walks away

19. You have hit the nail on the head, Sam.

20. N-ova
    O-mega
    V-entura
    A-pollo

They all look like Novas and collectively spell-out "NOVA". Never have heard for sure whether GM did that on purpose or it is just coincidence.

T.L., falcongeorge, slammed and 2 others like this.
  21. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Summer 1987, just got plates on the A pickup and went to my first cruise night at a local AW, some local guy who had one of the latest hi-tech style cars of the time comes over blasting my truck saying those split wishbones shouldn't be on the road and those 40 brakes you'll never be able to stop fast and so forth. My brother and I told him what he could do, and he never came my way at another car show again.

22. When I take my '34 Dove Grey 5-window Ford Coupe to an event, I often get the question "what color are you going to paint it?" (the car is glossy and doesn't look like primer).
    Polishing the \'34.jpg Oct 17, 2014 pic 2.jpg Oct 17, 2014 pic 7.jpg
    Recently I had my OT '70 big-block Vette at a local Cruise-In when an "expert" told me that Chevy didn't put a 454 in the Corvette in 1970. I tried to explain to him that I bought the car new and that is the original engine, but he still wasn't convinced!

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My OT 72 Comet is most always called a Maverick..I get a you lie look when I mention I bought it new..Even worse look when I say the POS fuel pump disintegrated after 41 years..

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. This is one my friend Ed like to tell-

Just after he got his 56 Chev. wagon he and his wife Christina (who comes from a Ford family) went out for a cruise.
    Ed stopped for gas he asked Christina to fill it up, so he could use the restroom.
    When he came out Christina asked "Where is the filler? There's no gas door and I checked the under the license plate."
    Ed told her "Oh Shit, Someone put quarter panels on and forgot to put the gas door back in"
    Christina started to panic.
    Than Ed flipped the taillight down

Ed's Wagon & 235-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  26. I wonder what this car show season will hold for know it alls.LOL.Bruice.

27. slammed

slammed

So the basis for this very popular, fast moving thread is to make fun of ignorant non savvy car folk. Much like the parts house thread(s).

Dooley likes this.
  28. cretin

cretin

The thing I find funny is that even though some people don't have car knowledge, but show an interest in our cars, Some of these guys purposely feed these people a line of bullshit. Then they get mad when "somehow" these people have the wrong information. :rolleyes:

i.rant and bobg1951chevy like this.
  29. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

us shoebox guys all get the know-it-alls that think our "studebakers" are nice!

30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I don't mind people's ignorance. It's the self-proclaimed "experts" who already know everything and therefore can't be taught that irritate me. I'm the same age as my Nomad but I am still learning new stuff every day (or maybe I forgot and just think I've learned something new).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truck64, manicmachanic, T.L. and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.