Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T Bird Hood Scoop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by brassspike, Mar 27, 2016.

1. brassspike

brassspike

I'm looking for an early T Bird hood scoop for my project. Are there any reproductions or similar aftermarket scoops out there?
    Thanks!

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. can we narrow down the year a little ?

4. There are reproductions available. Google search T-bird hood scoop.

5. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. brassspike

brassspike

I'm looking for something along the lines of the '55-57. I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount if the quality is there. 10-4 on the "Buyer Beware"!!! Trying to avoid that too!

7. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

I've purchased a couple of different hood scoops from this place...... http://www.up22.com
    Not sure if it's exactly what your looking for, but they have 2 different variations of the '57 T-bird scoop....one with an interior flange (#SC-110-3) and one with an exterior (#SC-110).
    Scroll down to the index on the left and click on Scoop Page 3...they're at the top of that page.

8. always did like the look of the 64/65 hood scoop as well....

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

72 Comet GT...Pretty close, bolt on type..

Attached Files:

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. brassspike

brassspike

Thanks to everyone that has responded!!
    So far the ebay scoop seems to be the best reproduction. Not sure about the quality though. The one from up22 looks to be the best quality, but I called and theirs is not a realistic reproduction and will not take the stock front insert. For now I'm still looking.

11. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Fiberglass is tacky.IMHO.

12. Looks like someone washed a Torino in hot water and it shrunk. :D

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Uhhhh..... no. That scoop's in a whole 'nuther atmosphere. I'm thinking Darth Vaders neighborhood.

14. Squablow

Squablow

You can buy those inserts pretty cheap, used ones are really cheap. When I was doing the welding on my '65 Tempest, I wanted a GTO style hood but didn't want to spend the money on a whole hood, I cut the rounded corners off of the rear part of the roof of a donor car and welded them into the hood with a flange in front to mount the die cast piece, it worked out really well and didn't cost me anything except a few hours time and $50 for a used scoop insert. Might be worth it.

IMG_20140718_104758.jpg IMG_20140718_104806.jpg

elgringo71 and Hollywood-East like this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You mean Montego..Torino gets you a Maverick..

Peanut 1959 and falcongeorge like this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, everyone knows the cool rod-abillies never woulda used that stuff back in the day, like on gassers or anything...:rolleyes:

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Untill it sets up, or you mixed it wrong then tacky forever..BTDT

blowby likes this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Winner!!!:p

19. Squablow

Squablow

Interesting side note, there must have been aftermarket steel scoops produced to look like the T bird ones, my high school shop teacher had this quirky sectioned shoebox which he said was built around 1962, you can see the scoop it has, the insert resembled a T-bird one but it was clearly different, I think it was stamped aluminum instead of chromed die cast, and the scoop was welded into the hood, not just grafted on top of it. The blister was longer and taller than a T-bird scoop as well.

fish0002.jpg
    fish0005.jpg

20. town sedan

town sedan

^^^^ HA! Probably from JC Whitney!

21. UH yea. Somehow I didn't catch Comet, my eye looked I read and my brain said maverick.

But good schooling it never occurred to me that the Montego was the mercury version of the Torino. So I know I have taken this dude off the rails 9 as usual) butt that brings the question at least to me, is the Mercury Cyclone (say '70-'73 and it is one of my favorite cars of the era) a Montego on Steroids?

@Squablow I remember clear up into the late '60s being able to buy steel or glass hood scoops. For me personally the glass one's were the ones that you wanted because glass was "high performance".

An observation that I have made on the subject of glass v steel is this; it was not until the newstalgia craze that glass became bad. Granted we would all like to work with steel bodies and preferable original steel bodies (*gawd knows I do) not repop bodies, but glass has been a performance oriented alternative to steel all my short life.

*my preference for steel comes from it being a medium that I am comfortable with and cost, I can usually find a steel original in bad shape way cheaper then I can find a glass substitute.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""Mercury Cyclone (say '70-'73 and it is one of my favorite cars of the era) a Montego on Steroids?""

Pretty much, actually the rear rims I have on the Comet are from a 70' Merc Cyclone, 14x7" wide steel..

23. You got mail. I don't want to take this one any farther down the rabbit hole than I already have. ;)

24. Squablow

Squablow

Not sure if this does anything for you, but I have this scoop cut out of a '61 hood, bigger than an early Bird scoop but still has an early look and has the insert with the chrome grille in it, would sell it complete for $100 plus the ride if it helps.

IMG_3499.JPG

25. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

........ 000_0020.JPG or make one.

26. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I like my old Ford "dump truck" scoop.
    010.JPG

Gary