Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A V-8; F-1 crossmember with stock member

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cuzncletus, Mar 27, 2016.

1. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

I'm mocking up my engine/trans in my A frame. 59a with 39 trans, F-1 crossmember, pedals, and master cylinder. I want to leave the stock crossmember in place as these little frames are pretty spaghetti-ish plus I want to bolt the F-1 crossmember in so I can drop it out if needed. The master cylinder is going to interfere for sure; the hookup for the torque tube to trans looks pretty tight.

I posted this on the Barn and got one good answer, but that was he usually cut the stock X member out. Any other similar experiences? My thought right now is to cut down the stock X member, plate it for strength, then reconstruct some stock style flanges.

2. Drill/grind the rivets out & move it back to suit.Are you going to box the frame?

3. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

No on boxing the frame.

4. That would help with flexing,make it stronger especially in the front.

5. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Search under roadster build, I posted pictures of my frame. used all the stuff you have. It all fits The clam shell is a challange to bolt up,but it works

6. flatford39

flatford39

I have one in my mocked up 31 roadster frame. Only difference is I am using an 8BA. I bolted my F-1 cross member in 5 7/8" to the face of the F-1 cross member or 4.75" to face of the flange from the A cross member. I have some clearance issues with my radiator but I think I have got that figured out finally as well so I can run a single belt with mechanical fan. Going to be tight but it will work.

My master cylinder bolts right up to the F-1 cross member and I think I can make the clam shell work on the rear as well. It's all very tight but workable. The F-1 pedals also worked well with the steering column placement etc.

7. I made my F1 crossmember bolt in without removing the center crossmember. If you are using a 59a you should have no trouble getting enough room to getting it in there. I sat my engine back basically as close to the firewall as I possibly could. I did have to grind a small part off the lip on the stock model a center crossmember tho to give the master cylinder some room.

Here are some pics for you to see what I'm babbling about...

This one gives you a little bit of reference based on the 28-29 body mount.

[​IMG]
    Here is everything painted and installed.

[​IMG]

If you'd like any measurements or more pics let me know.

8. I forgot a pic of the engine and trans installed. Its a little tight but everything fits.

[​IMG]

9. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

I did exactly what you are attempting. I left the stock model a rear end in place which then located the later 32 up transmission /f1 crossmember. I partially boxed the frame in the f1 mount location. I modified the new crossmember by attaching a plate to both ends which then bolted to the boxing plates. This way it will drop out from below. You will have to notch/ cut into the stock crossmember for torque tube clearance unless you mount the f1 crossmember 1-1 1/2" below the top edge of the frame. Then you will not need to modify the original model a crossmember. This is what I have done.

Now be creative with master cylinder. You can move the master cylinder to a further back location. Many creative solutions on this site if you search F1 crossmember on an a/v8.

Good luck.

10. flatford39

flatford39

Yours looks just like mine. Real nice work.I have split bones and would really like to see how you did your wishbone as it is a better application. Sorry to hijack but I think it's pertinent to the thread.

11. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

Hey guys, thanks a ton. Ford Mike, you ended up pretty much exactly where I've been headed. Pictures truly are worth a thousand words. The firewall in my RPU has already been reversed so I can pick up an extra inch to the rear. This afternoon I started clearancing around the driveshaft, coupling, and master cylinder area. I'm going to double plate these areas to try to put some strength back in, then reconstruct a flange so at first glance it will look original.

12. Thanks, the wishbone is made up of the complete front wishbone from a 33 Ford 1 ton with the perch mounts of a model A grafted on the front. The wishbone ended up way longer than any stock Ford wishbone. It was way more work to do it this way, if I were to do it again I probably wouldn't because you cant drop the pan, but it worked out to be a pretty clean setup. I've grown very fond of the sweep in the rear of the bones where they mount.

[​IMG]

Everything clears, and there is plenty of room.

[​IMG]