Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A rebuild......In over my head.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Appletree, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Wow! Thank you Sir!

2. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Finished tacking up engine mounts. (I'am not a great welder, but can get the job done so bear with me.....)Also, made a "extension for my "Z" up on the rear. When I first made the zup I really didn't know what I was doing and made it a little too tall. I've since cut it off and lowered it but still taller then I wanted. So I welded some extra 3x3 sq tubing for my upper shock mounts to go on. I didn't want my coil overs to be super long. I'am sure everyone will put they're 2cents in ,but I don't care. It's going to be a rigid setup, don't worry. I also ordered a heim joint to see if I liked the look on my links. Using 5/8-18, figured that was big enough. I'am sure everyone will chime in for the "Ol heim vs bushing" debate. Well, I like the look , low maintenance and they make some pretty badass ones now. Plus, thats the only thing that goes on aircraft's. I'am sure those Aeronautical Engineers are on to something, IMHO of course. Got these from Ruff Stuff Specialties. They mainly supply 4x4's but the product is good.They have a wide selection of heims, spacers and misalignment inserts. Great prices and fast delivery. QA1 also has some great stuff too. Wider selection of it all, but double the price(for the heims). Both good companies though ! Sorry that I keep jumping around, but I kinda just work on whatever I have at the moment. So anyway.... Here are some pics. IMG_2219[1].JPG IMG_2220[1].JPG IMG_2218[1].JPG IMG_2216[1].JPG IMG_2217[1].JPG IMG_2205[1].JPG IMG_2206[1].JPG IMG_2208[1].JPG

3. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Not sure how big of a deal this is, but.... I just realized my build is more of a Custom Hot Rod . It's not going to be a period current "A".... I won't tell if you don't.

4. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

OK, so I've officially decided on using 5/8-18 Heim joints and they should be here today!! I didn't want something too big or too small so 5/8 seemed like the thing to do. Purchased my DOM, taps and drill and will be drilling and tapping all my suspension linkages. Got some (1.25 Dia) round stock to make my pilot bushing for tapping. Having a pilot bushing keeps your tapped holes straight. Of course you don't have to have one , but it makes things easier (IMHO). One end has a (1.0 Dia) hole for the DOM and the other end is (5/8 Dia) hole for the tap. They're is a little leeway with your dimensions ,but having them close as possibly will provide a better concentrically tapped hole. Went with (1.0) DOM with (.250) heavy wall. Using a 37/64 drill to bring the hole final size for the 5/8-18 tap. Cutting the DOM (20.50"),making the link 24", Center-line to Center-line of heim joint with half of thread engagement for +/- caster adjustments. Then just put your pilot bushing on and tap away. I won't go into tapping procedures, because if your reading this then you probably know how to tap a hole. At least I would hope so.....Oh and please someone correct me if they think something is not right with what I'am saying. I want to learn! 5_8-18 Heim Joint Bluprint.jpg
    -Heim joint blueprint- IMG_2225[1].JPG -1.250 round stock for pilot bushing_ IMG_2226[1].JPG - Machining of pilot bushing- IMG_2227[1].JPG IMG_2222[1].JPG IMG_2228[1].JPG IMG_2221[1].JPG
    DOM tubing (1.0OD , .500ID) IMG_2230[1].JPG
    -Using steady rest to drill DOM to final hole size for tap- IMG_2231[1].JPG -And of course tapping with pilot bushing- IMG_2232[1].JPG Looks ok, but I think I need to make them longer..... What do you think? Please