Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tri-Power Up and Running

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JrodSchultz, Mar 26, 2016.

1. JrodSchultz

JrodSchultz

So I have been reading quite a lot on the forums here getting information on Rochester Tri-Power tuning. I scored one on eBay for a song and dance one Sunday morning for $650, shipped... Wasn't sure what I was getting into for such a cheap price. The description and picture were bad but the seller had a good rating and had a good history, so I went for it...

It arrived 4 days later and it looked like it had the Vintage Speed/Speedway carb base kit which I couldn't believe. The Edelbrock intake was painted so I sandblasted it and took apart the carbs to take a look inside. The jets were 58 and 59's and I knew right from the start that it was going to be too rich to run in Denver Colorado.

I put it all back together and got it started and holy cow was it running rich. Ordered new jets; 52, 53, 55, and 56 so I could see what would be best. It really likes the 53 in the center and 52's in the dumpers. I did what was recommended and got it running only on the center carb, had to bend the arm for the accelerator pump to lessen the shot of fuel it was getting. For the idle mixture 1 1/2 turns was perfect, at that point took it for a ride and it ran great.

Once I got back from my ride hooked up the linkage for the outer carbs and took it for a spin. Everything is working great!
    TriPower Scoop5.jpg TriPower Scoop5.jpg

Attached Files:

ebfabman likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool you got her running. That scoop isn't my cup of tea for that set up, but it's not my ride. Congrats.

3. JrodSchultz

JrodSchultz

Thanks tfeverfred... I wanted something different for induction compared to the "same'o same'o" small air cleaners or "frog mouth" scoops. Was going after the "Hilborn Injection" look and something unique for a tri-power setup...

Attached Files:

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Tri- Power is really a good look on open engine car. Your coupe looks Real fine!

6. Looks good, and welcome to the HAMB from Southern Minnesota!

7. JrodSchultz

JrodSchultz

8. shop teacher

shop teacher

Motor sounds great!

9. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Looks good. I fiddled with my tri-power on my yblock for months trying to get it to run right. Once I bought the Vintage Speed base plates for the outer carbs it ran great. Now I'm working on a 3x2 set up for a FE. Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

10. JrodSchultz

JrodSchultz

When it first warms up it sounds like I have a pretty radical cam in it... Once it warms up it gets pretty tame with the lobe. I will say that the tri-power made it a lot louder... Trust me, not complaining about that part :0)