Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage FUNNIEST THING OVERHEARD AT CRUISE OR SHOW?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm at the big "back to the 50's" show in our area when a guy wanders over to look at the Scout... no big deal - except he was wearing a leopard print cocktail dress, fishnets and heals... After a couple of minutes of looking he wanders over to us and asks about the Scout... I give him a few minutes of my time and then offer him a chance to get in... His response... "Thanks man but I'm commando under this get-up and I wouldn't want to shock the old ladies" (??)

This guy had a lot of good questions and was building a hot rod late model Bronco with a stroked 460. He wandered around the show for a couple of hours in his best Saturday nite outfit... Got to give him credit for doing what he wants where he wants and without a F* given for what others thought...

2. gatz

gatz

took me a few seconds to get that....funny LOL

volvobrynk, falcongeorge and Montana1 like this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I would gladly accept all rude comments from any one to get rid of pole pounders...They scare me...

mad mikey and falcongeorge like this.
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I already related this to Rusty Rocket off forum. I have a friend who I am buying some metal shaping equipment from, he is 69 years old has quietly done the bodywork and fabbed panels for show winning hot rods and sports car restorations on the island and around here since the mid sixties, he drives a rusty 80ish lowered chevy shortbox shop truck with a 400 in it ( it will still whup plenty of hamb cars, hint, hint) its definately not show worthy.
    But I would much rather talk to him for a few hours about Gene Winfield, or Bill Hines, or how he re-shaped the rear side windows on the O/T small window VW he just chopped for some guy, than spend 5 minutes listening to some clown spout off who just bought a built car, even if it wins "Best of Show".
    You never know who that "spectator" is that just walked up, and you have no idea what he has built, what his skills are, or even what he might have at home. Keep in mind when you ask a guy if he has a car in the show, and he answers in the negative, and you climb up on your high horse, you might be smart-mouthing some guy that has a dust covered survivor 3 window at home, or some guy that has slung lead with Bill Hines. You just never know... Something to think about...

wraymen, Hitchhiker and Saxman like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That was just Klinger, he was looking for Colonel Potters Jeep.

6. afaulk

afaulk

From a swap meet lookie-loo " I've got a stock 240 Datsun that runs over 200 easy. It will outrun any Corvette". Me "wow you must have got that experimental model".

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I gotta admit, I like to put the wind up people, but I am a tad more conservative that that. I usually go for the basic Baskerville ensemble...;):D

mad mikey and volvobrynk like this.
  8. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I like to stand a bit away from the coupe or vette and eavesdrop on the spectators. The things you hear can be pretty amazing. Once a guy was obviously trying to impress his girl with his vast knowledge and said "that motor is wrong, they didn't have V-8s in 57 only straight 6s and that paint isn't an original color either." Go back to your import

mad mikey and big duece like this.
  9. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Father to son..."I had a Chevelle just like that in high school, but mine had the rare M22-T400 transmission" Me...I bet it would be hard to find another one! I could see he was trying to be the Cool dad. Couldn't call him on it in front of his son, just walked away....

mad mikey likes this.
  10. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

THAT IS AWESOME!!:D:)

11. trollst

trollst

Falcongeorge, that brings to mind a story happened six or so years ago. A friend of mine is this meticulous kind of guy, built a glass 23 cowl, 27 rear bodied car, independent suspension up front, all custom chassis, first car this airplane building guy ever tackled, white in colour, absolutely a work of art to look at. Accomplished his goal of building a nice roadster and sold it, went back to airplanes, I saw it later at a car show, gold chainer polishing away, asked him a few questions about the car, him being either too engrossed in what he was doing or, as I suspected, looking down at my caliber and deciding I wasn't in his league. Happens to me a lot, I'm not the snappiest dresser, kinda got my own style, but I tried to be polite, again, a chore for me, but he wasn't biting. Taking credit for the car pissed me off, so I kneeled down beside him, asked him if he knew my friend, he did, and I rose up and walked away. My friend gary, laughed and laughed, said it was one of the funniest moments he'd ever seen. In retrospect, I'd like to have watched the whole thing unfold too.
    On another note, those who are uninformed as to our hobby, need to be taken for a ride, something I do frequently, I bring children into my shop for education, fix bikes, or make them fix their bike, they get rides all the time, dirty hands are the norm.
    Imagine....the wife in the car next to you on the road staring over and understanding what it's like to ride in a hot rod, because.....she has. Some nice grizzled guy at a cruise night asked her if she'd like a ride, showed her what it was all about, poked the hot rod hard enough to give her a small orgasm, came back to her old man a little flushed, then I took him out too. All of us should try to give free rides every now and then, show off our skills and share the excitement that these cars bring, I guarantee it will cut down on the comments we laugh about. Try it it's fun.

12. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Hell, he had all the correct parts. Bull horns, skull, hand grenade, radials and of course the mail box. What could have possibly gone wrong? I'm sure there was a PBR in the mix too.

What a waste of an early Chevy.

13. What's a Plastic Bodied Roadster have to do with it?

1927graham and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. My dad and mom had a Mercury Bobcat wagon they were driving for daily use in about 92/93 (I was 9 or 10).

They park in the general parking of a show, a guy asked "Where did you find the custom nose for the Pinto?"
    My dad told him "No, I it's a Mercury Bobcat."
    He said "Oh it's a Canadian."

15. ..............Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.:D;)

16. That's just silly! How is the mailman supposed to deliver stuff if this guy's mailbox is always on the move? (Until it hit that pole).
    Personally I like to just install it near the front gate.

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Some of these stories are great. One thing to remember we have alot of builders and fabricaters on this site. Most of the general public and car owners are not and appreciate them nonetheless. My buddy had the best response when asked if he built his car at a show last summer. No, but I had it built exactly how I want it by this guy right here refering to me.

Montana1 likes this.
  18. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

While I understand the general public, for the most part, has no expanded knowledge beyond what they've seen in movies or a very occasional book, for them a car show is a visceral, tangible extension of that entertainment memory.

That being said, why is the amount of verbal stupidity inversely proportional to the complete lack of knowledge of that of which they know exact DICK about, i.e. the less they know the more they run their mouth?

Ok, I used up all my big words and I smell ham cooking in the kitchen. Happy Easter!

Hombre and mad mikey like this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Took me a minute to get this...:p

20. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Sort of talking about average joe. But really talking about the "EXPERTS"! Most real people will ask questions. Some that may seem stupid to you and me. But are real. Not stating fact that they know nothing about.

21. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Well this thread hit the skids fast, funny the majority of ridiculous crap I've ever heard comes out of the people who actually own hotrods...as for the general public, it doesn't matter if your showing cars or showing chickens, there's always someone who thinks they know everything...jackassery exists everywhere.

BradinNC, volvobrynk, wraymen and 5 others like this.
  22. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

"Own" is the magic word! Not BUILT!

mad mikey and Nailhead Brooklyn like this.
  23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I think you summarized it nicely. Considering the current political environment, your sage comment could easily be adapted there, too.

Nailhead Brooklyn likes this.
  24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Twelve pages and 351 posts; other than a few posts being/resembling statements at shows/cruse nights its holding up well IMO...You are right; funny that no matter what you do, where you go the stereotypes are out there, just the way it is..Blow holes, pompous asses, and those that are legends in there own minds [which I used to tell a guy at work that to his face and he thought it was a compliment!]..Nothing at shows riles me much [the girl that dumped her lemonade down the side of my car when she bent over to look in was almost funny]; on the road however is another story..

25. When going to a car show, a friends wife, who was truly car savvy, found it entertaining to "pick apart" the cars on display.
    I found this to be unacceptable, for many reasons.
    Whether I'm a spectator at a show or driving my car to the show, I find it interesting to see the creativity and / or restoration abilities found at car shows.
    I'll find the owner, praise him for what he's accomplished, then ask my questions, with a positive approach.
    If I see a P.O.S., as viewed in my book, I just move on, with no comments.
    I'm not there to belittle the work of others, but, as Nailhead Brooklyn stated, jackassery exists everywhere, from car shows to politics, and every nook and cranny in-between.

i.rant, Bubba1955, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  26. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I honestly cannot stand people like that. That's the same kind of person who will pick a part a person and what they are wearing instead of giving someone a compliment, I don't care how car savvy she is, she sounds like she needs to stop living her life with her nose in the air and eat a slice of humble pie...everyone will have an opinion on your ride. Some will like it, some will hate it. But it all boils down to respect, I don't have to like your car but I'm not going to tear it or you down...just replied to a thread here, guy wants to make his new carpet look old, well I wish I had carpet first off, secondly, I don't see the point, especially since it's to impress other people, and it's a waste of money but hey to each their own...not gonna knock the guy...always do you and screw what anyone else thinks.

27. Jackassery may be my new favorite word, its right up there with craptastic.

volvobrynk and Nailhead Brooklyn like this.
  28. I never have or will make a bad comment on any ones car. It shows shall we say NO CLASS. My coupe has been called a POS and other colorfull things many times, but the difference is, I dont care. To those people,,,, Have fun driving your caravan home. Have a nice day, I KNOW I will!:D

29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Riding with a bud in his 32 Woody . We pull beside "Kids" with a thumping stereo . Naturally , the kid is right next to me ! My bud yells out "Hell of a stereo , you got !" Kid says yea , "I got 2500.00 in it !" . My bud says "Hell that's 1/2 price for a radio the picks up Africa!" Kid looks me straight in the face and says " CD man " with a puzzled look on his face . Light changed and we exited the intersection leaving more smoke than an oil rig fire in Texas ! I'm thinkin I guess , I must have been educated in a different prison farm than these kids today .

30. Respect and Responsibility. Two words that have vanished from our vocabulary.
    Makes me want to tell the knot heads to go to Hell in such a way, that they look forward to the trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.