Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. loudbang

loudbang

"Airoso Bros." Willys Owned by Airoso Bros.

Airoso Bros. Willys Owned by Airoso Bros..jpg

"Hot Rod Paradise" willys

Hot Rod Paradise willys.jpg

Unknown

unk willys gasser.jpg

Unknown Willys from vintage photo thread by SWI66

willys from vintage shots thread SWI66.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Did anyone here go to the Willys gasser event at Denver in 94? I'm trying to find pics of a 41 Willys coupe that ran in the B/Gas class there. It was kind of a dark blueish-gray primer, dark Halibrand mags, 11 or 12" M&H Racemaster slicks on the rear, and the back fenders and the panel under the decklid was cut and bobbed a little. I think it ran an injected small block. Seems like the guy's name might have been Mike Anderson. There's a few brief clips of it in the old It's A Gas 2 Video from Denver.

3. loudbang

loudbang

The "Hairy Hauler" willys

Hairy Hauler willys.jpg

Lamar, " Bunky bobo" Hemi Hurricane willys

Lamar Bunky bobo  Hemi Hurricane willys.jpg

cruiserjohn76, loner2, EVL401 and 2 others like this.
  4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

The 1st pic is from bowling green at the Hot Rod Reunion

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  5. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

Not much found it another website sorry

6. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Here's one of our latest builds at a show in Cleveland Ohio last weekend BERESFORD WILLYS.jpg

7. rfraze

rfraze

IMG_0002.jpg IMG.jpg IMGP8246.JPG
    Mark, I'll check the records and get back to you. Think I know the car you asked about. Did it die right off the line (after it spit the pump belt off)?
    If that is the car, it WAS owned by a guy from Springfield, OR. I will take a look at entry forms (Yes, I still have them after all these years).
    I also still have Original, still folded, Event Posters, T shirts (XL only), and some other collectibles.
    Rob Frazier

EVL401, Stebo27, 1947knuck and 4 others like this.
  8. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Rob, yeah I think that's the car. He was having problems keeping it running in the Denver air. It would launch, then sputter, the come back up again. He raced a yellow late 50s model Anglia in the finals and had his best run of the day, but the tires broke loose and it got a little out of shape. You interview him briefly in It's A Gas 2, before the races start. He says he had just gotten the car running like 3 months before. I haven't seen it since. I'd appreciate it you could post anything you might have.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Question for the Willys experts out there, where does the questionable production figures come from on the super rare cars like Woodie Wagons, Toledo built Roadsters and the not as rare two door sedans? Why would Willys tool up dies just to make 4 or 6 cars? I've been in contact lately with owners of very rare cars and they keep throwing out crazy low production numbers, I would love to know where these numbers come from.

10. elgringo71

elgringo71

I am not a Willys Expert but from what I have heard and read, the Todelo built roadsters were made at the factory by cutting the roof off of a coupe and if that is true based on the pictures of the Rosevelt car they would probably be more of a cabriolet because of the fixed windshield posts. On the Woodies I believe that the wooden bodies were made by 2 different coach builders on a body or partial body supplied by Willys. If this is true then Willys wouldn't have had to tool up for either one. Hopefully one of the experts will clarify this for us.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

12. Johnny99

Johnny99

Another of the yellow car. I know I have one with the front down too, lost somewhere in the nether world of my computer, can't find it. I have been led to believe that the lighter color car in this blurry flyer for the Arlington Drag Strip is the same car.
    100_1877.JPG arl4.png

13. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Yeah, I love that yellow coupe that used to be owned by Hank Johnson, but every picture I have is with the hood up as well. I'd like to find a couple of nice shots with the nose down.

loudbang likes this.
  14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

[​IMG]

Holy crap, my eyes just had an orgasm! I so dig that style of paint job.

1947knuck, enloe and loudbang like this.
  15. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

This was the roller we built before it left our shop . 41 booty.jpg

16. rfraze

rfraze

Mark, Thanks again for starting this thread.
    Mike Hanson owned the Hilborn-injected, 4 speed coupe you inquired about. Picture some mag Halibrands on the primered car above and you are close... He brought it to Denver from Springfield, Oregon and sold it some years later. Maybe we can figure out who bought it.
    Corrected altitude on Sunday was 9900', so he wasn't the only one w/ tuning problems. Charlie Manthei from Colo Springs owned the Anglia you mentioned and ran well all weekend. Most of the competitors had never run heads-up, including B/Gas winner Ron Parness in his Willys Pickup.
    Does anyone have pictures of Hanson's bitchin coupe or know where it went?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Rob
    You know of a red model 77 Coupe from the Springfield area owned by a guy named Dennis Murray? Very cool car.

18. rfraze

rfraze

Yes I do. Beautiful car that is For Sale. Don't think I have seen it over on 33-36 Willys thread. Same guy that was Ron Nunes partner on Nunes and Murray gasser. Super fabricator.

loudbang likes this.
  19. thunderplex

thunderplex

One of the ugliest Willys I have ever seen. Obviously only a show car. But, that is just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Willys gasser

Willys gasser
    from PA.

Unknown Willys from vintage photo thread by SWI66

View attachment 3170964 [/QUOTE]
    The Willys coming off the line is one of my Most liked photos.

EVL401, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  21. Johnny99

Johnny99

Morning,
    This old girl has been owned by the same fellow for a long time. I usually see it once a year at the Arlington WA. Drag Strip Reunion.

Have a nice Easter.

John

100_1922.JPG 100_1924.JPG

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

The Willys coming off the line is one of my Most liked photos.[/QUOTE]
    yup, one of the best willys shots out there. i for one will never get tired of that one.

EVL401 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  23. dmorago

dmorago

Us at Lions around 1967 +/- a year or so.
    upload_2016-3-27_19-47-7.jpeg

caseyajones, EVL401, Stebo27 and 5 others like this.
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

25. loudbang

loudbang

Ollie Olsen’s A/ G Willys at speed. Note very clean profile, narrowed rear axle kept rear slicks tucked in and out of the wind. Olsen and driver Bob Dwyer won A /G class at the ’61 NHRA Nationals.

Ollie Olsen’s A G Willys at speed. Note very clean profile.jpg

Hand formed aluminum front-end allowed more weight on rear wheels. Twin scoops fed Hilborn injected, 352 CID small-block Chevy. This is Valkaria Dragway, near Melbourne, Florida.

Hand formed aluminum front-end allowed more weight.jpg

Ollie’s ’60 Chevy El-Camino was push car, painted like the Willys, in black-copper-black lacquer. After custom built aluminum front-end was installed it was painted and 60’s popular racing stripes added.

Ollie’s ’60 Chevy El-Camino was push car, painted like the Willys, in black-copper.jpg

Still running in A/Gas, the now 426 Hemi powered Will-A-Meaner leaves hard at Miami Dragway, 1966. A FX style injection velocity stacks protrude from hood area.

Still running in AGas, the now 426 Hemi powered.jpg

26. Now some for April 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

27. 33HEMI

33HEMI

image.jpeg
    Rob I have the video from Denver just had it transferred to Dvd looked like a great meeting.

Stebo27 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. rfraze

rfraze

It was. Wish you could have been with us. Thanks again to everyone who participated and for all the magazine coverage it got.
    I believe there were 4 videos released. Bob Brazell from Crested Butte, CO did the "official" vid (which may still be available), but we didn't care. Thanks for recording history. IMG_0004.jpg We had actual heads-up, weight-to-cubic-inch gasser racing and created a new class designation (AA/S) for those cars that chose to run methanol. (See aasupercharged.net) I forgot to mention that one of those classes was a 5lb. per inch supercharged Gasoline (only) class for the FIRST time in about 25 years. The yellow coupe and Gary Hart was the last man standing in that one.
    Maybe you can figure out how to get a pic of Mike Hanson's B/G coupe off the video to post here for Mark Ott.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  29. 33HEMI

33HEMI

I'll give it a go Rob and let you konw?