Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Santa Maria, Calif to get drag strip in 2016

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Mar 25, 2016.

1. no55mad

no55mad

There was news coverage on the radio today from Art Foster. There is a BBQ fund raiser tomorrow 3/26/16 in Oak Knolls shopping center. The track will again be on airport property, in the location it was the last go around in the 70's. They are looking for a concrete donor to lay down a new burn out box. Indications are that it may be ready for racing this fall.
    No mention was made of the Lompoc track - I heard that Lompoc neighbors went to meetings and said 'no way', sighting noise pollution.
    Hope the Santa Maria venture goes through - HAMB drags west coast:)

Russ B likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

anyone have more details?

3. no55mad

no55mad

Art mentioned this has been 9 years in the making and the current local politicians are for it.

4. 48 PLYMOUTH HEMI

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI
    from WV.

I hope the track gets going again. I lived in Lompoc in 1963 and would go to the Santa Maria Dragstrip whenever they had the races. As I recall, the return road was a county road that would be shut down during the races. Forgive me if I can't remember a lot about for it's been a few years.

5. aircap

aircap

Amazing. I thought they would never build any kind of racetrack in California every again.

6. 65COMET

65COMET

I hope it is a GO this time!It has been an On Again,Off Again type deal for A LOT of years!! ROY.

7. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

Good luck, we need more Drag strips in California ....

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I occasionally use GoogleMaps.Com when I look for an address, and then spend some time scouting the areas. In Cal., east of Holtville, in the desert, is the T.R.A.S.D. Launch Site; I'm guessing it's for model rocketeers. Obviously a former military installation with three runways, all "X'd" out (NO Landings/Takeoffs). Further to the east of that location is another single runway accessed only by a dedicated road. These places are out in the desert, nothing around, no one to complain. Seems perfect to me. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

I live about 150 miles from Santa Maria, not too bad. The elevation is only 217 ft, we should see some quick and fast runs up there for sure.

I used to drive less than 30 miles to the now-defunct LACR in Palmdale. I sure do miss having one that close but I won't miss the brutal summer temps, blowing wind/sand and 2700 ft elevation with air quality rarely below 4000 ft.

10. This is good news.

11. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

looks like there are 2 Ospreys parked there in this picture. someone must be using it

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...1s0x80d714dea9fc7bfb:0x65123c4fa06ba139?hl=en

12. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I will believe it when I see it... Too many retired people up there now that just want peace and quiet.. I would think further out in the farm areas would be a better bet, like Famoso, nobody to get bothered.

13. no55mad

no55mad

Went to the BBQ fundraiser today, good 'TriTip' sandwiches. The word there was that it is definitely going to happen. Asphalt has already been recently put down for the track. It will start out as a 330ft run and then go to 1/8 mile sometime in the future; there is not enough room for 1/4 mile. They are looking for property on the central coast to eventually build a new complex for 1/4 mile racing. The first runs are projected to happen this fall. There are 7 events planned for 2017. As mentioned above, this area is near sea level and another advantage is the cool coastal weather. If you've been to Famosa or Eagle Field, you know how hot it can get. They have the timing system, concrete K rails and a portable tower. The track will have to be set up and disassembled each race event. Gear heads are a determined bunch for sure! Looking forward to putting the 32 back on the track w/o having to drive several hundred miles to get there!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  14. no55mad

no55mad

Has anyone got an update? Test runs were supposed to happen this fall and open to the public early 2017. Lompoc's strip was also still a possibility; any info??

15. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Bump from ocean-level's Samoa Dragstrip track announcer...

Sent from my LG-US996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. no55mad

no55mad

Heard the first race is to be held in March 2018. Any more rumors out there? There are monthly meeting that have been ongoing about this venture; the racers that are pushing for this have not given up.

17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Boy Howdy!

18. no55mad

no55mad

Talked to one of the promoters today and they will test a 330' track at the airport in Santa Maria in March 2018. The test runs in March will not be open to the public. If all goes well, they will have the first open to the public race in October. They will have 2 races per year on the 330' track. A permanent 1/8th, possibly a 1/4 mile track, located near the landfill, will be built in the future (may take 3 years God willing). The locals are putting together a 410 gasser class - motor no larger than 410CI , 410 rear gears, must be street legal.