Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fenton 6 cyl intake and split exhaust find, need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 16grem72, Jul 21, 2013.

1. 16grem72

16grem72

Coming out of the shadows for some help. A few days ago, I was a pick all you can carry at a local junk yard. I found a few small things i needed for various projects, but then I came across an early 50's coronet with a dual single barrel carb set up. Thought it would be a cool garage piece if nothing else. Then I noticed it had a split cast exhaust header. I pulled both and called it day.

I normally deal with V8s and "muscle cars" and I am only 25 years old so I don't really know anything about this company or the rarity of these parts. I only found some small information about Fenton and not much about their chrysler parts. I only really found info on chevy parts. Here are some pictures I took of the intake and exhaust. Hopefully the photos work. Any info or help is appreciated.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. 16grem72

16grem72

Heres another picture of the breathers. Kind of a cool set up

[​IMG]

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Looks suspiciously like the one on my Plymouth Flathead 6. But you would need to measure the distances between ports to see if it is for a 23 1/2 Dodge or Plymouth or a 25 inch long Chrysler / Desoto block. I would be interested i the air cleaners.

4. 16grem72

16grem72

It was pulled of of a Coronet that looks to have sat a very long time. The spark plugs were rotted away, and the hoses crumbled with a touch. Do I measure the distance on center of the intake ports or the overall length?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Offenhauser still makes a dual carb intake for a Dodge 230 Flathead http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-2691/overview/ The mounting flanges look pretty close.

I'd hazzard a wild assed guess that two or three Mopar flathead guys will be sending you pm's in the next few hours with offers.

6. Fenton made cast iron headers, aluminum intake manifolds and heads for Ply/Dodge flat 6 motors. I have a Fenton head on the '55 Dodge flat 6 in my '39 Plymouth. I also have the Fenton-style cast iron headers that Tom langdon offers. They look exactly like the Fenton headers except they don't say Fenton on them.
    Anyway, congrats this is a great find!

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Well I suppose I could get up and measure mine, but overall length is a good enough indicator for most folks interested. The port spacing is different but OA length is the easiest way. What carbs are they? Usually Plymouth had carter and Dodge used a Stromberg.

8. 16grem72

16grem72

Ill measure the intake after work today. I know very little about single barrel identification. These don't have the stromberge 97 or 93 casting so I would assume they are Carter's.

Thanks to everyone so far with the help

9. 54rat210

54rat210

10. 16grem72

16grem72

I got home and took some measurements, then found the exhaust had some castings on the backside. Here's what i was able to collect
    Exhaust is cast:
    PLY-DODGE H200-Rear and H201-Front

Intake just has Fenton but anyways the center of the front to rear intake port measured 15". The carbs are cast BXVD-3 and have B-6 and B-7 stamped on the base of the carbs. These are made by Stromberg.

Thanks for everyones help.

11. jalopy45

jalopy45

The headers are re-popped now and available at Tom Langdons site www.stoveboltengineco.com , the Fenton intake was originally $29.95 in my 1966 Honest Charley catalog and used either Carter or Ball&BAll carbs, but single barrel Holleys can be used. A great find, go back and make sure the head wasn't aluminum or cast iron and had HIGH ALTITUDE cast into it.

12. 16grem72

16grem72

I'm hoping I can make a trip tomorrow. Definitely out of my realm on this one, not sure what kind of stuff too look for. Figured I'd at least grab what I can of the throttle linkage. There is some sort of pivot that bolts into the top of the head and solid linkage to the back of the head that I figured I'd grab. Not sure how far back I need to go in order to keep this set up functional. I haven't been able to find much on this intake and don't know enough about the stock set up.

Thanks again for the advice

danomad likes this.
  13. hkestes

hkestes

14. 61spit

61spit
    from Iowa

I bought this setup from 16grem72 and cleaned it up. Sandblasted and painted the headers and rebuilt two Plymouth carbs. I had the air cleaners rechromed and this is what it all looks like today installed on my rebuilt motor ready to install tomorrow evening. IMG_5027.JPG

michael knight and turboroadster like this.
  15. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

With all due respect to Jalopy45...I looked at that link he provided...and while I'm glad that someone is making new parts for niche motors...they are not reproducing the Fenton manifolds for that motor and those new headers don't look anything like the ones the OP posted..

61spit....LOOKS AWESOME!

16. the motor looks beautiful! Amazing save from scrap yard to re-use and live again!

17. 61spit

61spit
    from Iowa

Thanks! Got it put in the frame last night with the help of my son and Grandsons. IMG_5044.JPG

18. Texas Eli

Texas Eli

That's gorgeous! I bet it'll sound fantastic, and you won't easily find another at a meet.

Eli