Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *oldsboy*_T-sedan build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Thanks for the ride the other night. I want to go again. Who do I see about that?

2. 56pickup

56pickup
    from Wisconsin

Fantastic Build! Just stumbled across it and had to read through it! I must have missed it but what are the specs on the flathead? Sounds Great

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  3. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thansk man! See below for the engine specs:

Block: 49-53 8BA - bored to 3-5/16"
    Crank: 4" Mercury
    Heads: Edelbrock Block Letter
    Intake: Navarro 2x2 with 97's
    Cam: Full Race Isky 400 JR. with adjustable lifters and zephyr springs
    Generator: 12 volt converted from 6 volt with early 50's armature used for conversion
    Ignition: SBC magneto turned down by Bubba's Hot Rod Shop for use with a flathead

4. oldsboy

oldsboy

I guess its time for an update and rather than starting another thread I figured I would keep it tidy and continue on with this one. Since the build is wrapping up I guess this is the beginning of part 2, driving a hot rod.

In lieu of the time gap here's a little catching up. I got the on the car on the road last fall just before winter rolled in and was able to get a few hundred miles on it be for the cold really set in, which was way more than I could ask for! I believe we wound up driving cars in Nebraska until the middle of December, which is crazy.

[​IMG]

I've been able to meet up with some great guys in Omaha with some great cars. A few you might be familiar with them being on the HAMB. Here's a few shots from late last year...

First cruise...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last time out in 2015 - Middle of December!!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Great photos, I'm looking forward to hearing about your drive time so far.

Seeing what it's actualy like to pilot this
    Monster you've been crafting in the shop so long, trouble shooting odd things and making changes as needed.

Glad to see you out enjoying it

6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Loved the build man, glad to see you are putting some miles on it. I am currently putting together a flatty with pretty much the exact same specs as yours, except for a set of offy heads. I think ive watched your two you tube videos of the engine running a couple hundred times. Sounds wicked!

7. Wow...what a cool shot! Gary's 36, Danny's 3 window, Jason's model A, Nick's {malcolm's] A roadster and your T sedan....and where is my 34? Still in the garage.
    Your car turned out great!

8. oldsboy

oldsboy

Thanks guys, its been a lot of getting it on the road.

Come winter I tore back into it. The little bit of shake down it got revealed a few things to attend to. The biggest issue was the spring hitting the tie rod due to a lack of clearance. I ended up swapping out the spindles in lieu of aftermarket ones with bolt on arms. This allowed the tie rod to come down another 3/4" which has since worked out great.

[​IMG]

Outside of a few minor engine tweaks, playing with different spur gears in the quick change and dialing in shocks the car has (knock on wood) been pretty great. I did find the 6 volt converted to 12 volt generator didn't want to keep the battery charged enough to run a distributor. However it does like to keep up with the headlights just fine. So the distributor came out and in went the magneto.

brEad and volvobrynk like this.
  9. oldsboy

oldsboy

Since I had a few months of winter left the roof was next on the list. Below are a few shots of the process on it. I didn't get all the steps "documented" but hopefully it will give you an idea of how it went together.

Before I get into this, like the rest of the build, I wanted to try and build it rather that buy a kit and have to rework it to fit. I had heard mixed reviews of the the wood kits available fitting the cars well enough and I'm sure they work great, but as much as this car has been reworked itself I figured a roof built specifically for the car might just be a better way to go.

Research came first by trying to figure out how Ford constructed the tops for these cars. The biggest surprise I found was the lack of chicken wire to support the cotton/denim insulation. They actually used strips of wood instead. Anyway, I'll get to that.

I started with the perimeter framing. This is where I don't have any photos because just about all of the exterior frame was made with my Grandfather over a few weekends a few years back. He is kind of the reason I even thought to take this on. He's a well seasoned woodworker and I had figured with him overseeing the work that it couldn't be that big of an undertaking. He helped me template the perimeter with cardboard then transferred the pattern to 2" thick slabs of solid ash. Then the cut out pieces have sat on the shelf for about 3 years.

Bolting down the raw perimeter frame. At this point I started documenting. I used Tee Nuts through the factory holes in the body where the original roof bolted down.
    [​IMG]

You know that lack of chicken wire I mentioned. Here's the slats. Looks like some sort of basket weave/ wicker furniture project. The interior slats are made from Iroko wood a friend gave me. It's a dense moisture resistant wood. Super hard and pretty difficult to drill but makes for a great frame.

[​IMG]

The following are some progress shots as the roof cross bows started to take shape. From the photos I could find of original tops, it looked as if they had an interior ledge that ran around the inside of the perimeter which allowed the bows to rest on. That's what you can see in the next shot. as well as the routed slots in the perimeter frame to lock the cross bows in place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because Model T's are super flat on top one thing I did want to try and add was a little curve to the top, but not too much to make it look out of place. A template was made that incorporated about 1/2" of difference from the interior (high spot) to the end of the bows. Then I used a flush router bit to cut the curve into the bows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was routing channels for the slats into the cross bows. This took a little time laying out the pattern and setting up. I wanted to get it so the frame could almost snap together to help stiffen up the top.

[​IMG]
    These were actually hand chiseled in due to the characteristics of the Iroko wood. It's soo dense that because the way the grain was running it would splinter out with the router. SO hand cuts and chiseling was required.
    [​IMG]

Some shots of the fit after laying them in the channels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back required a little different attention due to the heavy radius of the C pillar. Individual supports were cut to support the back of the slats. This could have been done better, I'll admit after have going through this now, its the one thing that I would change. But no one will really see it once the top is covered.

[​IMG]

All together.
    [​IMG]

The last part was to seal the wood. I debated this as it will have the rubber top put on like it would have had which would keep water off but I figured it needed something.

Off came the top and on went a Varathane product they sell for boats and outdoor clear coat applications. 3 coats later with sanding in between it came out great! Way WAY better than I could have anticipated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll upload a series of shots later when I get the membrane for the top on. That's for another day.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The top sure is turning out nice! You definitely have a way with the wood.

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks for this post! The roof fab has been one of my favorite reads of the year. I've wanted to build a similar wood top in my future for a long time, I keep getting into more wood revival the older I get. I'm glad to be leaving the just slap a van or wagon top phase on it behind me.

12. Your (and Grandpa's) work on the top is quite nice. It's almost a shame to cover it up. Inletting the slats into the cross pieces is a nice touch. Ford didn't have time for that kind of work when the car was built the first time around. ;) BTW, I like that deep Burgundy color on the body.

13. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

That wood is beautiful! Top notch job. After building a sorta similar roof for my T last year I know time and skill put into that.

Sent from my SM-G928V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. That came out beautiful! Please tell me you're not going to run a headliner in the interior to cover up all that beautiful wood work!

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Damn, that top looks fantastic! Almost a shame to cover it up in the end :(

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That top is killer. My plan for my T sedan is strips of bamboo cut and glued together to show some 'grain' and then a stain to contrast the body color.
    How much does that assembly weigh?

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That top is a work of art! Simply amazing. I haven't seen a good post like that on here in quite a while.. Thank you for sharing!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. oldsboy

oldsboy

HA! ......

Thanks Runnin'! I have to say working with wood compared to steel was a nice change of pace but it requires a lot more patience but is can be more rewarding.

Yeah I'm sure Henry just slammed these together to get them out the door. The "inletting" actually helps stiffen up the top quite a bit. I wanted to keep a thing profile and this definitely helped do that and reinforce itself at the same time.

For sure not running a headliner. I've debated putting the top material on it but I would like to keep out of the sun and all.

Yeah, Thanks man! It will receive a top, in due time.

Sounds you've got a plan. The top is actually pretty light. I can move it myself, though its fairly awkward. I'd say less than 30 lbs if I were to estimate....

Thanks man, much appreciated! Your roadster is looking killer as well by the way; keep on it! I was hoping to make it to the Round Up with the car this year but work didn't allow it. Hopefully next year.

Malcolm likes this.
  19. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Here's a Trick we used as we also wanted to show off the wood.
    [​IMG]
    (The big white square in the middle got cut out for a sliding rag top)

I used marine grade canvas on the top over the white batting. But I also use Black canvas under the batting. So when you look up you see Black and Wood. The batting is what gives the material on the outside of the roof it's smooth shape.
    I sorta went through the whole process in more detail in my build thread here.

Hope it's food for thought.
    CBB

Tim, Felipe Toltecatl and gregg289 like this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

As the inquisitive fellow asked twice: "What is the wheelbase?"
    Stock 'A' is 103-1/2". Stock '32 is 106". You mentioned an estimate of 110" earlier, but it was a guess, as the rear 'Z' was being 'adjusted'.
    I guess the wheelbase to be... 108"! (still possible it's 106"...Please, be a 'good Olds Boy', and tell us?)

LOVELY project, wish your Dad could have seen it. Thank the Lord for Gramps. Thanks for all the coverage.
    My '27's a tub.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ryan had a baby girl recently so he may not see this for a while ;)

Check out the latest issue of hop up for photos of the car finished and cruising and I'll ask him what the wheel base is ;)

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. 51box

51box
    from MA

Just read through this build again over the last few days, you really did a great job on the car.

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Just when I think of selling my T Sedan project this pops back up. Dang.

24. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I have gotta say this is such a great build thread. I hope to hit the road with you guys more this year

25. gus gustafson

gus gustafson

Unless I missed it could you elaborate

26. gus gustafson

gus gustafson

Unless I missed it ,could you elaborate on your procedure to cut and rework the shortened inner drive shaft which has the keyways ?
    I know there has been past posts on this procedure but more knowledge dosen't hurt .. Thank you very much for any time and knowledge on this topic, thk/u. gus..

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wheel base is 104"

28. MoparBucket

MoparBucket

29. MoparBucket

MoparBucket

Hello, how tall is the steering loop on your T?

30. What's the top look like finished ?