Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does this look normal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beecher, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Beecher

Beecher

Or have I completely lost my mind?

Shes got a aluminium 32 oil pan, will have a matching ORD breather stand, an angle drive with custom ignition (the zephyr actually belongs on the 40 coupe), and a winfield cam. She will be going in a 28 rumble seat roadster (some ford steel, some brookville). With a chassis built the way the recent tech article was done. Ill post pics as They come in, hope you all enjoy!

Beech

Attached Files:

Stogy, kiwijeff and Squablow like this.
  2. Looks good. Probably will need something inside too.

3. scrubba

scrubba

How bout sharing some information with us like the unusual carburetors , the no too common intake etc ?

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Looks like overkill,definitely not normal,,but extremely cool! :D HRP

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

What are you using for air clearers?

6. Beecher

Beecher

Its ORD heads and intake, with Siamese Winfield SR AA with B choke horns. Each pair is sequential serial numbers, and have been together as a set of 4 since new. No aircleaners going on this one. 21a block with merc bore. hope to use an aluminium flywheel as well. Itll be a full fendered prewar style roadster. Juice brakes. Keeping it prewar. ca 1939.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  7. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

8. Wowcars

Wowcars

I like where this is going! Cool story on the carbs.

9. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I'd like it better if it was going in MY '32, but it's gorgeous and sounds like it'll make the little roadster scoot!

10. MrModelT

MrModelT

I will be watching this one, love anything Pre-War....especially unique Pre-War.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Nope, all wrong. Better send it to me so I can get it out of your way! LOL

12. olskool34

olskool34

Where in the hell did you find an original 32 aluminum oil pan? Nice looking falttie you got there.

13. Amazing! Love seeing the Winfield stuff!!

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

after 6 months, is that all we get?...tease

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  15. Beecher

Beecher

sorry, there really hasnt been much change between then and now. Did some work to the cowl, tank and doors, stripped and primed them, frame too actually. Its too cold to work in the shop now (its not heated). Most of what Ive been doing threw the winter was tying up lose ends on my 40, painting its dash, and rebuilding (term used loosly) the shift cover.

The oil pans are out there, but thought to find, in the same box came a holley 92. I think the pan was easier to find to be honest.

me and technology dont exactly see eye to eye, I dont even have any other pictures of the roadster or the motor to offer. That one was a quick phone job so I could upload it at McDonalds lol.

Ill try to keep it updated a bit more often, :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Be sure to remember that the '32 pan doesn't have a crankcase breather vent.

Charlie Stephens

17. Beecher

Beecher

Yeah, Im not quite sure what to do about that. Not a big fan of PVC valves. Even less of a fan of cutting a hole in it for a breather, even tho I have seen some that are works of art. What are the implications of less than optimal crank case ventilation? More oil changes? Thanks!

fourspd340 likes this.
  18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Show a pic of the breather area...I'm assuming you just have a flat space and a hole there. You could cover that with a plate and a fitting to run a hose as road draft breather tube or snake it around into a secret PCV, better...
    Look at the Technical History of the Racing Flathead article...I think that'e the one that shows an unventilated early racing flathead with its steel type pan actually bulged from high RPM blowby! That's not the real problem, though...you will get rapid sludging and acid formation in there. The breather will adequately vent normal pressures but cannot provide moving air to get all the water (and other stuff0 the engine produces outtathere.

19. Beecher

Beecher

[​IMG]

Just to show the project is still moving along, although much slower than I would like, but at least its moving!

hrm2k likes this.
  20. Beecher

Beecher

Still moving along, slowly but moving. Pistons would have been in, if I remembered to borrow my frinds ring compressor!

[​IMG]

21. Beecher

Beecher

22. School me. What's the hole behind the distributor for? Tim

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Vacuum timing retard cylinder?

jerry123 likes this.
  24. Beecher

Beecher

basically yes, its for manifold vacuum brake of the mechanical advance

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Love those Winfields, never should have sold the pair of twins I had. Bob

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Subscribed, should be interesting, very nicely detailed flattie. When rest of car is detailed to the same as engine it'll be sweet.

27. Beecher

Beecher

Stock 221 coming out, custom made Merc Bore 1/8th stroke high domes going in

[​IMG]
    All eight in!

[​IMG]

I have no idea how many countless hours of time went into this frame, but its not done yet, still need a wish bone pick up and steering box mount

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Hotrodmyk likes this.
  28. Beecher

Beecher

I know, I know, its been a long time, I had been planning on posting some pics, but my computer decided to delete all my pics last week, but here is a pic of a new toy, Ive not quite finished the cosmetic restoration of them, and barely scratched the surface on the mechanical end, but at least they look pretty now. Not sure why the above pics have been lost???

My water pumps are back from skip, and a few other things have been done, but really not too much to report. Maybe after the long weekend, some work will get done!

Attached Files:

MrModelT likes this.
  29. MrModelT

MrModelT

Nice fuel pumps Beecher and nice job cleaning them up! :)

30. Beecher

Beecher

Thanks, theres probably 10 hours into that pair of pumps!