Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods REVERSING WHEELS 49-54 CHEVY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Mar 21, 2016.

1. deto

deto

Guys,

I would like to reverse the stock wheels on my 49 chevy coupe. If my math works out correctly I am confident reversing them will put the wheel exactly where it needs to be, and the sidewall bulge that I am going for will clear the inner fender as well as the leaf springs.

Does anybody have any examples of these wheels reversed? I have done this before, but I have never done it to 49-54 chevy wheels, and I would like to see examples of how they look.

If anybody has any examples that would be great.

2. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I remember reversing the rear wheels on my 53 Pontiac back in the 60's. Drilled out the rivets, pounded the centers out, reversed the centers and drove them back in with a big hammer. I got all the rivet holes to line up with drifts and center punches and had the guy next door wel them up for me - ran nice and true.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

would like to see how you measured for this change - remember, valve stem will be on backside then

4. deto

deto

I will most likely weld and grind the old valve stem hole closed and put it on the outside.

5. deto

deto

6. ...I did this in the 60's with all my old Chevies,...worked and looked just rite... bikes 008.jpg bikes 009.jpg bikes 006.jpg

jcmarz likes this.
  7. deto

deto

8. ...it was all original 52 Chevy.

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Find the tech post by wheelkid a few years ago. It's THE reverse your own wheel step-by-step.

deto likes this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have my doubts about how much offset you will gain using the stock, relatively narrow wheel rims. Perhaps you will gain more offset than I am imagining, not having a Chevy wheel to measure. I think a quick indicator would be to look at a bare wheel (no tire) and see how much to one side the rivets are........in other words, are the rivets closer to one bead flange than the other and, if so, by how much. The greater that distance, I would think the greater the offset gain from reversing them.

Ray

metlmunchr likes this.
  11. deto

deto

Going out in the garage tonight to measure. I will report back.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

LS Gun did a good thread on this too.

13. deto

deto

I will check that out

14. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Not 49 - 54 wheels, but close........The front wheels on my 34 are reversed 55 Chevy wheels. The rears have 55 centers, but with new 7" rims. Not sure how well they would fit on a 49 Chevy, though.

4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

302GMC likes this.
  15. ...can't remember how much they set out, but it was noticeable over stock rims,(maybe a couple inches) any more wouldn't fit on the car in the rear,...looked just rite.

16. deto

deto

My rear axle is 2" narrower than stock, so the reverse wheels should be just right

17. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

From what you have done already, I'm sure you could weld the valve stem with know problems. But for me I would just add a stem. Reversing wheel also changes turning radius. I had forgotten about laying on the ground to check/add air when young.

18. gas pumper

gas pumper

I did this on My 54 It worked out great and the taper on the back side is a good look. Looking for pictures now.

19. gas pumper

gas pumper

20. deto

deto

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

pics visible here in posts #19 & #20

Ray

22. deto

deto

Running reverse wheels in the rear only. I'm going for a staggered look

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  23. slammed

slammed

24. deto

deto

What rear end is under your 54

25. gas pumper

gas pumper

It's a 10 bolt Nova. could be 76 or 79, I don't remember. The wheel wells are pretty wide, Years ago I had 15x8 wheels back there with wide tires and everything fit. With the reversed stock wheels I have probably 3/4 to 1 inch on the outside lip, the tires have not hit the fenders yet. I do have a rear sway bar. The body don't lean. Stock springs with lowering blocks.

I only remember that the Nova was very close to the stock width.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  26. I was going to reverse the wheels on my 54 and then found some 7" station wagon wheels. Looked reversed already and allowed me to run Hurst cheaters. I have reversed a couple sets. I prefer to use a press to get the centers out. Bullet point drillbits work well to get to the rivets. Another thing, there are two types of riveted wheels. Flat countersunk rivets (my preference, easier to drill out) OR domed rivets. I find on the domed rivets it is easier to hit the top of them with a grinder/mill etc to get a flat surface to drill.

27. deto

deto

Got any pics of the station wagon wheels on your car?

302GMC likes this.
  28. I do, but I will have to dig.

29. deto

deto

30. The only 'wagon wheels I knew of were 14". I recall them on '61 to '67 wagons, but may have been on other years.