Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions Encouraged On This T Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vegte44, Mar 24, 2016.

1. I've been working on this T for a couple of years in my spare time while fighting the burnout. I am throwing this thread out for some opinions. Maybe I can get hyped enough to finish this car. It is more "hot rod" than "traditional", a lot of the look has been towards my wife's direction of what she wants.

20160215_153329.jpg 20160113_192433.jpg 20151202_231345.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  2. Put a radiator in it and drive it.

3. Well the headers need a collector for starters if you really want to drive it unless you are shooting for that '60s show rod look. But that is just a mechanical thing.

As fot overall, it is not a bad T, if it were mine I would the rear tires back to an 8 wide max and thw row some volks wagon tires on the front. Some of us se 165/80/R15s if we are running radials.

Of course maybe a couple of coats or Hawaiian Bronze and maybe a fade into black or Root Beer. But that is a personal thing with me I love a T with a panel paintjob and Hawaiian Bronze and Root Beer are just color choices that I like. ;)

4. deto

deto

post some pics of T's you like and maybe we can help get you pointed in the right direction.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Looks pretty good to me...and I promise you don't know what you're missing by having it sit!
    Finish it off and drive it like you stole it.
    Whats burning you out anyway?
    That its not strictly "traditional" and someone here might rib you over it?
    If thats it, then I swear you're overthinking things and we really aren't worth the worry! ;)

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I just reread and noticed you said this.
    "A lot of the look has been towards my wifes direction of what she wants."
    Brings two things to mind...
    1) Why is your wife deciding what you supposedly want to build?
    2) Your wife has some pretty good ideas on how a T can look...other than a tall FAD style. Gotta give her some credit!
    But then again I go back to #1...because you're turning the wrenches on what I assume will be YOUR Hot Rod?

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

overall looks pretty good. have you sat in with a seat in it to see how many bugs will hit you in the forehead with that windshield? unless it is a must have for your better half ditch that roof

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why do some people think a T Bucket looks good with the fattest freaking tires they can find jammed on the rear? I never got that and probably never will. Ditch that top.

Squablow likes this.
  9. LongT

LongT

I have a T, avatar. To me it looks like the top is falling off. I would like a top but my windshield is chopped too much for that! Talking about getting hit by bugs my windshield tops at about my chin.

I put narrower tires on the rear than you see in the avatar. Partly because I like them and partly because the wide tires, M/T bias, could not be balanced, were out of round and were old. To replace them cost more than to get the narrower tires and Torq Thrusts.

Bill

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  10. A couple of details I see.... One, the body looks a bit low on the chassis and is running downhill to the rear; needs to come up and leveled. Two, the windshield posts need to be moved forward to eliminate the flat lip at the bottom of it on the cowl. The top? As-is, not right. I think it could be made to work if you chopped the windshield about 1.5" and raised the rear of the top. Small changes that will really affect the proportions...

11. Squablow

Squablow

These are not two different things. One is inclusive of the other, like every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square.

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

The car looks dog-gone-good !
    I've built a few T-Roadsters and they are a blast to drive.
    I will not tell you what to do, but I'll give you suggestions if you want.

Tell your lovely bride to kick you in the butt and take her to the shop with ya, and get the primer cans out and make the body and grill one color. Paint the engine, and get it running.

How about a good side picture of it sitting on the ground?

13. indyjps

indyjps

Get a radiator and go tie up anything needed to get it driving.

Wheel and tire will make a big difference, pick an era for the build and start working that direction with wheel choice. Swap to a skinnier rear wheel and the small front runners pork and Beaner suggested.
    Throw some color on the body, even of its tinted primer that you can block out later.

14. indyjps

indyjps

Heres a link to speedway tribute T. I'm only referring to it as an example of a build with skinnier rear wheels and nice looking tire. Changes the look.
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Info/Tribute-T-Photos

If you like this direction, consider dressing the sbc as a more traditional look, less chrome, more cast aluminum, easy to change over time.
    Get it on the road is #1.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  15. I thank you all for your support and good opinions! I have decided to go with the straight windshield posts, also body color will be a suede 'burnt copper'. I will be keeping my rear rims but they will be body color. This latest pic shows that the car is still in a mock up stage but it is getting closer to being done.
    20160411_144156.jpg