Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing Pains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 23, 2016.

1. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

When I discovered this place years ago, I read the guidelines and then lurked for a year before signing up. I knew from the get go that this wasn't the place to discuss any of the off topic vehicles that grace or haunt my driveway. You would think that it is common sense to see what is kosher and what is not. But sadly, too many folks either don't read or just figure they will just barge in and be welcomed with open arms. And they usually get what is coming to them.

I am on a few other forums for OT stuff, but none of them have the vibe that the HAMB puts out. It feels like home here. So I hang out and bask in the traditional goodness and light that is the HAMB. That's how you get a HAMBer tan.

So Ryan, Thank you for keeping it as it was and as it is, true to your vision and passion.

2. ..................I'm assumin' that '69 RR is a Road Runner. Just messin' wid ya'.:D;)

Ron Funkhouser and bowie like this.
  3. metalshapes

metalshapes

The way I see it, it has to do a lot with respect.
    I don't understand how anybody can walk into a existing environment and start telling the people there how things should be done.

But its more than that.

Early hot Rodding was pretty weird, at times.
    They got their inspiration from everywhere ( thanks to the HAMB I got to ask one of the Hot Rod pioneers why the early LSR streamlines looked so much like pre war Silver Arrows, and as it tuned out, there was an actual link )
    There were cars that were dead ends (stylistically or otherwise ) , and when those cars show up some people ( with all their 20/20 hindsight expertise ) get snarky about them right away.
    ( specially if that cars safety features are lacking to today's standards )

I think that kind of disrespect is pretty telling too...

AHotRod, 63fdsnr, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  4. Ryan, all I can say is well written. What you wrote says it all. Thats why I am here reading everyday; never thought I would do that on any site. But this place is a perfect fit for so many of us.

5. haychrishay

haychrishay

Um..... Amen!!! All they have to do is read the instructions, and if that don't work I would refer them to 3WLarry's post.

6. williebill

williebill

Nothing to add ( that's never stopped me from posting anyway ), but as I'm reading the replies, it struck me that while I read/belong to other "car" forums, this is the only one I ever participate in with inane posts. I add nothing to any other forums. I only read the other forums when I've gotten my daily fix on the HAMB. I dig the relative purity of this place. My ex didn't understand my passion, my g/f doesn't really, either, but that's OK. They both knew I was signing on every day, no matter where I was. Met damn few of you in person, but feel the brotherhood. If it was easy to follow this path with these damn cars, I'm not sure I would find it appealing. Soldier on, Ryan, and try to not piss off 3W Larry. I hear he has the Guidos on speed-dial.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

8. HD Driver

HD Driver

Maybe 3W Larry can persuade the Guidos, to do background checks on everyone! Maybe keep the landscape stories to a

9. HD Driver

HD Driver

10. It's a good thing Ryan rights the rules and/or defines the style. If I did it, my own car may not work here!!!

11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lothiandon1940 : MEEP MEEP, get outta my way coyote!!

12. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rock on with your bad self Ryan !!!! Thank you for taking the time to spell this out again. The only "restoration " is my faith in the board !!!!!!

13. Baldies

Baldies

If the rules are too restrictive, why has it broadened my horizons extensively?

kiwijeff and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. Bader2

Bader2

Exactly Larry! Fuckem all with fucking no regrets!

15. 46stude

46stude

I rarely post much anymore- just lurk & read, usually. My automotive love spans many years, many different styles. But the HAMB is something unique, something really special. I enjoy the forced focus of the site.

This is the only site I "pay" anything to, with my Alliance membership. I'm proud to have that metal tag.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Ryan
    Still learning, appreciating and enjoying the almost virtual experience of the HAMB.
    Extraordinary knowledge base...
    You and your team have a great thing going. Thank you. I am grateful to be a part of it.
    The content and membership forever evolving with so many worldly twists.
    Great bunch of people here...and yes you face challenges and you and your team do a fine job of Takin care of business...Everyday...;)
    Regards,
    Stogy

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  17. So do you need a capable, often times rude, vulgar, unfeeling, semi professional dick to cruise the boards and tell these whiny guys to get fucked by a briar patch? I've been told a few times my way of saying things isn't the best way to communicate with other members on here. Sooo, why not unleash me on the troublemakers since I've been on good behavior lately? That way the heat is all on me, and I can troll them to my hearts content until they leave? You wouldn't even have to pay me, just put the problem children in my sight and off I go.

OHV DeLuxe likes this.
  18. Donald, is that you?

19. fatkoop

fatkoop

Build what you like, read what magazines you like, go to what shows/events you like, hang out with what-ever crowd you like. We all have different tastes, that's what makes it so interesting, and so fun to me. Just remember to treat everyone with respect, whether or not you agree with them.

i.rant and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. I build my stuff the way I want it...don't give even a tiny, microscopic rat's ass who doesn't like it. And people who would build a car (traditional or otherwise) in order to gain someone's approval are typically not people who I would be friends with (for reasons much bigger than old cars).

That having been said, it just so happens that I like traditional hotrods and HAMB type stuff.

If I didn't however, I wouldn't expect the HAMB to change for me, I'd just go elsewhere like a big boy.

HD Driver likes this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Shit, man, I just love cool, well done Hot Rods. I'll never compromise.

22. ........................and we still love your avatar photo, Fred.:D;)

i.rant, 5window, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  23. Long live the HAMB and the Jalopy Journal. These shouldnt be ran in any other way.

24. Thanks Ryan and everyone! This is a great site. I have never had much use for the Internet before. I was told about this site by friends. Its the only site that I'm a member of. I never realized how many cool people there were with the same interest that I have. You are doing a great job. If I ever get off topic please hit the old delete button. I have done it to myself. sometimes late at night I start to ramble on. Like I'm doing now. ha. ha. Thanks again Ron...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  25. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Getting or participating on a thread that has been deleted is akin to getting a good ol spanking as a little kid from your caregiver. It prompts one to think ....... Ohh maybe I shouldn't do that again & ouch I'll remember that. Weither it's straying off into OT land or being simply straying off coarse due to strong wind...... err , I mean winded ones. Well said & I've caught myself putting in 2 cents worth occasionally like last night trying to help a guy get his 62 model OT vehicle to crank and fire up. No hard feelings taken, it's simply a lesson not to participate on OT inquisitions. I did get my fair share of spankings from K-12. :) "Everybody's normal till you get to know them" my best friend once said. There's no other place like this & hats off to Ryan & the Mod's for their efforts to keep it under control & on task. Listen, learn & apply. Flux

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Romancing this specific era .... is about gettin' in, getting on, and getting off. 1964 as its' watermark. What do you need to re-iterate ? The unwashed also can't read ???? Well .... f#ck them then. Good morning America !!!

tb33anda3rd and kiwijeff like this.
  27. At almost 50 years of age, I come from a place where men were men, and women were glad of it.
    I loved Hot Rods from around 11 years old, but the 80s style gave me the shits, so I drifted away, confused, lost, and wondered why my idea of this thing, had changed into something hideous.

Then I found the Hamb in 09. Wow, someone had found a solution to combat this move to plastic billet graphic painted, then skull web rust faked abominations.
    Who are these nutters, I'm thinking I need to be here, I knew I was going to be here, and like it or not, I was going to take part.
    I've had threads deleted, never bleated, jumped into OT foolishness, made mistakes, grown, and learned a shit ton.

My only bitch is the nice PC sensitive world we are now in, sometimes can't handle getting a kick up the ass.
    They want to be catered for, because after all, some dumb fuck teach, told em, the world evolves around em.
    Well guess what pussies, it don't, and this place is what it is, a mix of older people who were there in the day, some caught in the middle, like me, and new folks, who love this shit too.
    It's sad, that you can't just tell someone who doesn't agree to Fuck off anymore, without em getting bent outer shape.

Rant over, carry on Gentlemen.

28. .................................I think you just did, Jeff.;)

tb33anda3rd and kiwijeff like this.
  29. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

I am not what I would consider an "old school" hamber, I came around in 2004. I am I believe Member number 2017. I used to read this site numerous times daily. I loved what a lot of the OG guys had to say, it was a rough place to start. You asked the wrong question and you got HAMMMERED for it. And I liked that. I stood back, Added where I could and digested a TON of information that I could here. A few years ago, shortly after this last format change, I Quit reading here. A lot of the guys I liked to read quit posting too. It was being over run by the noobs, and I grew tired of the whining and posts about stupid shit that began proliferating the place. That email response you got is the Exact reason I quit reading here Ryan. People thinking that because they think this place is cool they have a right to post it here. If it dosent pertain top the rules, just don't post it, is it that effing hard? do these people feel the need to be included in everything? is the Politically Correct world trying to move in on this domain? If it is, I feel sorry for this community. I wish we could go back to the days of Hall Monitor and Germ absolutely BLASTING people for being the retards that they were. made this place a lot more enjoyable, and more on point. I have seen more cool shit on this forum than I have ever seen in any magazine. It bothers me a little to not read here all the time anymore, its just gotten really hard to sift through the junk posts.

kiwijeff, Petejoe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I was "one of them guys", that got a thread deleted when I first got on here. My feelings got hurt, I got mad, contacted a moderator, and they told me to " Go piss up a rope" that's not what this site is about. Yes I even read the rules first. Once I figured it out this is the main site I read. The knowledge on this site is second to none, and the people I have met are some of the best. I like that it is run by old skool rules, them I understand, put on you big boy pants and hang on its going to be a bumpy ride.
    Thanks for the site. Tony

wbrw32 and kiwijeff like this.