Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage FUNNIEST THING OVERHEARD AT CRUISE OR SHOW?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 49_Caddy

49_Caddy
    1. GMB

For some strange reason, at least half the people that talk to me about the Caddy ask if it has a straight-8 in it.

There's also a fascination with the trunk and how "huge" it is, but it's barely big enough for a spare tire and a small cooler.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Did you tell him you was talking to Willy later? LOL.

mad mikey likes this.
  3. On our way to a show (that is my '36 Ford Tudor flatback on the right) I stopped for a full service gas fill up. I unlocked the gas cap on the driver side rear tail light mount and the young gas jockey says to me, as he is ready to start pumping," is this your gas tank?" pointing to the tail light mount.
    I said yes, it holds a pint of gas, but these old cars get amazing mileage!
    IMG_20150307_0005_NEW.jpg

4. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

At the old Pate swap meet, a guy with a 57 nomad faded candy red paint /365 caddy with 3 duces , says it's all original. That back then you could order any motor you wanted from GM. My buddy tells him that after the war his Dad bought a new 46 Mercury convert with a Lincoln v 12. The guy shakes his head and says yeah those were the good ol days...

volvobrynk, bobg1951chevy and belair like this.
  5. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I had 2 cars at a show parked together a 1953 Imperial and a 1970 six cylinder Plymouth Satellite with an Offenhauser valve cover.
    Two youngens commented "way would someone put a Hemi something that big" but they approved of the Indy car motor in a Road Runner.

Robert J. Palmer and volvobrynk like this.
  6. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

Hey mister, your car would idle a lot smoother if you gave it a tune up!

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. I was at a show and shine last summer where my friends and I were parked next to a guy with a tubbed Model 40 three window. He would bolt out of his lawn chair every time someone came close to his priceless paintjob. Many times the spectators would quickly loose interest in it, after being told to watch his precious paint.

I couldn't have cared less about the car just because of his rudeness, but I asked him something about his 34 Ford and before I could finish my question he emphatically corrected me that it was a 33. The truth of the matter was that the Chevy V8 engine was probably the oldest part on the car and the rest was 1 800 repro. 33 Ford indeed.

I often wonder if he thought he was having a fun day.

volvobrynk, mad mikey and Jet96 like this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, my guess is the next President will be doing away with all that "due process" crap anyway...:p

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i've been asked if my de soto is a foreign car...

BradinNC, bobss396 and wojojo like this.
  10. My biggest fear is the jury foreman turns out to be some P.I.T.A. that I booted away from my car. LOL.

volvobrynk, bobss396 and falcongeorge like this.
  11. WordSmith

WordSmith

Back when I had my '61 Impala, I used to get, "Nice '57!" all the time.

My dad had a '61 Corvette (took it to my senior prom-class of '86). At one show a guy asked him how much he wanted for it. After the guy pushed for a while, my dad finally said he'd sell it for "twenty-five." Yes, you know where this is going... the guy counters with, "take two for it?" The guy seemed a bit surprised to learn my father meant $25K.

Then there were always the stories about how, "I used to have one just like it... except mine was blue... and a four-door... and a '63... and a Ford/Pontiac/Plymouth/etc"

Never should have sold that Impala... <sigh>

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As a general rule, I just make it a practice to park a block away, wear dark sunglasses, avoid eye contact, and I dont talk to anyone unless I already know them. Avoids ALL of these problems...

13. "How do you drive that thing?"

mad mikey likes this.
  14. Bottom line, cruise ins and car shows can be fun ......... until the "spectators" are allowed in.

Cincinnati Slim, mad mikey and Jet96 like this.
  15. Legendlives

Legendlives

Had a guy talking about my last rod who said he remembered the car with it's previous owner when it was red (it was black). I told him that I built it from a scrap (blue) car, and it had always been black since the rebuild.
    "oh no" he replies "It was definitely red. I remember the license plate".
    Just love it when other people know more about your cars than you do.... :rolleyes:

volvobrynk and mad mikey like this.
  16. How many miles to the gallon do you get?
    About 65-I put a Hyundai 1500 in it, it's a bit slow, but cheap to run!
    I usually let them in on the gag, unless they deserve it.

17. at a cruise night one guy says to his laughing buddy, as they walk past a sleeper, "Don't laugh... I've seen this car run at the track"

Bearcat_V8, Hitchhiker and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have owned a lot of cars in my life, and a dozen or so vettes (insert pun here). If I had a dollar for every time a car show "expert" said "I like the metal ones from back in the 50's" I would have dough to buy a 20 ounce Dutch Brothers Latte. I think I actually heard Zora roll over in his grave once.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. NOW THATS FUNNY! Bruce.

20. I have a 1948 Chevy 3100 pickup that was in primer for a couple years before it was painted. The interior was done in red and white, the dash was painted red, the inner doors and jambs were red, under the hood the engine, firewall and inner fenders were red. At least one person at every cruise night or run would ask what color I was going to paint it, here's your sign!

volvobrynk, Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. I was recently at a local speed shop and there was this very nice looking OT Mopar at the curb. I came out and he was getting in his car... I compliment it and he smiles... I asked, "what is that a Javelin".... his face falls.... I had to tell him I was just kidding.

arkiehotrods, belair, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  22. 66L-79

66L-79

This past weeken we were at the Run To The Sun show in Myrtle Beach and a friend had his 58 Delray there with a For Sale sign on it someone text him a pic. of what look to be a 1974 Buick Omega ( looks like a Chevy Nova ) and ask would he trade, he said if does not want it ( Buick ) what makes him think I want it.

dan31, volvobrynk and mad mikey like this.
  23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Had a guy literally open the door to my car at a cruise in and set down in the driver seat. Guy said sorry I thought this was like a dealership.

mad mikey likes this.
  24. Did you at least go to his wake?

25. Years ago went to a small car show that was part of an Air Show in Fort Worth. Came back to the cars after walking around checking out the Air Show to find 5 oriental gentlemen sitting in my buddies' Model A Four Door. Four of them would sit in the car waving and one would take a picture. They were taking turns. When we tried to explain "you need to ask before you do that" none of them spoke or understood English. :rolleyes:

26. mrfliboy

mrfliboy
    from IL

Young kids ask me how I got the motor in the back.

Attached Files:

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Judson supercharger?

28. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

About 24 years ago, a couple of friends and I were cruising down to Quincy, Il for the Tin Dusters Fall Color Run. I needed gas, so we pulled into this small Illinois town and found the only gas station. I got out and was putting gas in my 37 (This was when I was in my peach color phase!), when this old guy in bib overalls walks over to look at the car. I was checking the oil, and he says "What engine you got?" I tell him, "215 Oldsmobile V-8".

He says, "Son, that's about the ugliest f@cking car I've ever seen. I rather see my sister working in a whore house, than have her ride in that piece of Sh@t." Not much else left to say, after that. I thanked him for holding back and suggested that next time, to let his REAL feelings out.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. mrfliboy

mrfliboy
    from IL

Yes sir, 1776 motor, running marvel mystery oiler for the supercharger. Nice catch

30. I would have gave them an english lesson, first word they would have learned would have been BEATING! LOL. Just kidding, well maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.