Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

LOOKING GREATER all the time! Nice tool box in your picture:p Gary

els and racer-x like this.
  2. The fuel pump showed up today so i ran down to the chassis shop and got to work. I got the pump mounted first. Next was the timing for the mag. then put the wires together for the mag. i ran the wires inside the blower belt to keep them out of harms way should a belt break. 20160321_174838.jpg 20160321_174816.jpg

els, bostonhemi, 55chieftain and 6 others like this.
  3. els likes this.
  4. jerry

jerry

The front of that motor sure is busy, but it has a great look to it!

jerry

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  5. thanks guys. it will get a little busier. i still need to mount the alternator; moon tank; grille; fuel lines; two coolers; system one oil filter; two fire bottles and fuel shut off. I'm in the process now of making all new hoses. i couldn't see putting on the old stainless hoses with red and blue fittings. against the green and black i think it will look nasty. so I'm replacing everything with black hoses and fittings. I'm hoping they will just blend in and go away. the new hose is 1/3 less weight as a bonus.

6. This thing is all sorts of busy... and for what you're doing with it.... it'll get busier!

Dual purpose street/strip gas/fuel all fitting in that little coupe... Dayum!

Great to see it coming along and I hope everything works as planned and intended!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. That front drive distributor is crazy looking but business looking all the same.

8. the parts on the front are really just standard nitro parts. racers run the mag out front so the blower can be moved back on the manifold. otherwise the mag gets in the way. im just mixing my race and street experiences into a build I have thought about for a while. im very happy and proud to announce we have partnered with hilborn fuel injection. I have been working with them since the pri show. they like my idea of running the first car on drag week with nitro. they also like the idea of running a car combining efi and mechanical injection using their products. hilborn has offered full support from their technical and parts departments to make the project a success. we have had several in depth conversations regarding all of the technical hurdles that would need to be overcome. they think I have a solid plan in place. hilborn has been in the injection business since the 50s. their connections and access to the movers and shakers in the sport are endless. having their support behind me is huge.

els, Tim, D-man313 and 15 others like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

That is great news everybody knows them and their products.

els, racer-x and volvobrynk like this.
  10. Having Hilborn on board is indeed a HUGE deal. I think you will be making history at drag week, the adventure should be made into a movie.:D

els, loudbang, D-man313 and 1 other person like this.
  11. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep up the good work.

12. I hope the dual drive holds up on the street. Just looks like a lot of weight hanging out that's un-supported. Ever think of a craddle for under the mag to help support it ? Just wondering, also seeing I have a 2 port Hilborn set-up , I'll be watching to see how your travels go, good luck down the road.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    els likes this.
  13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I agree that I think I would like to see some support on all your front engine parts. Street driving and more so your wheel stands will be hard on all those parts. Your car is so great I can not do it justice on this key board! Have a great Easter, Gary

14. great observation guys. jim and i are very concerned about the weight. we have discussed this in detail and we do have a plan. i just have not mentioned it. we plan on having a collar on the mag. a shaft will connect to the idler pulley bracket. we will have heim joints with right and left hand threads so we can adjust the tension. it will all fit inside the blower pulley. it also needs enough adjustment when we disconnect it to drive on the street. when this car is done i sure hope to meet everyone who is following this build.

els, OahuEli, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  15. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

OK, THAT"S IT !! I HATE YOUR GUTS !!!
    I officially think I'm gonna drive my coupe into the river !! LOL !!
    awesome stuff Brian, keep it going !!
    there is no way you have any spare time, working at your job , building a car,and keeping us updated..soo.....you better buy your wife a Rose, and maybe a massage for putting up with you being in the shop,and gone so much and for being so understanding !!
    Although this build is quite different from anything I've ever done, you're working on it and coordinating other people to do stuff..All top notch people, the best workmanship ! good call. Even though I've always had to do everything myself.and sometimes with friends help (welding, fabrication, build A/C, suicide doors,built the injection system, machine work,etc.) it took me 12 years + to build my car with help from my friends, and it's a pile compared to yours. You'll still have countless hours in this thing. and it's gonna be awesome !! you're the man at juggling the chassis guy,the paint guy,the body guy,the polisher/ chrome guy.. I'm gonna be sure to park f-a-r away from your car, they will stand on my roof to get pictures of your car.. !!
    AWESOME JOB !

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  16. i have been burning the candle at both ends lately and it has now caught up to me. i have been sick in bed for days. the first time i built the car myself it took seven years. this time I'm trying to do it in one year or less. steve seeing your car was inspiration for me. it certainly raised the bar in my opinion. while I'm riding around all sweaty you will be nice and cool in your ac. we might have to get together next winter so i can have ac in my car. don't drive yours into the river drive it right into my shop i would be proud to drive it.

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  17. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

hahahaha . you're too funny, hey, the car is gonna be easily the most awesome thing on the planet.
    you're knocking this one out of the park, for sure.
    hey man, if their is anything i can do to help, let me know, i can make little parts, or gather weird stuff.
    You're the REAL DEAL.
    thanks again for the kind words..
    get well, soon, so you can get going !!!
    chat with ya later ..
    I think I'll try and set you up with a red neck A/C : )

els, kidcampbell71 and mad mikey like this.
  18. Brian, hope you are feeling better. I must say, the car is just the greatest, and you must really be wearing yourself out with the pace you are at. You and steve have what I consider the most fantastic coupes on the planet! I hope to some day have mine in this rank. But sometimes I feel my ambition far exceeds my talent, LOL! Still hard at it anyway.:D

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Until he beats @squirrel of his throne at Drag Week, the best we can give him is benefit of the doubt, and the respect for the work he has done so far.
    Lol

And a "get well soon" from half way around the world. :D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    els and loudbang like this.
  20. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

hey man, thanks for the kind words, really appreciate it !

els and mad mikey like this.
  21. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

HAHAHA .. yeah, Squirrel is THE REAL DEAL> he drove his car from arizona,to St. louis and back, plus dragweek., (That's like a BILLION MILES !!) he and his son Steve are top notch guys.. they are the berries.. plus Jim (Squirrel) did it with 60's technology. points and all. Great guy for sure, Brian (racer -x) is the real deal too. all super guys for real.. I had the pleasure of meeting them last year @ dragweek. ..

22. 20160329_142406.jpg 20160329_142356.jpg Im feeling a liitle better today. Thanks for every ones well wishes. I had to get out of the house. I was getting stiff from not moving. I went to see the car and do some small things that wouldnt wipe me out. The pics today dont show anything big happening but if you look close there are several small things. i made all of the water lines today. The black fittings and hose look much better. The mags cap was turned 180 so the coil wire points to the left now for a much cleaner look. The coil will be on the left frame rail. The mag was timed and is ready to run. some of the pump lines are now in place. I'm waiting on a few more fittings. The front drive parts were not designed to work the way i have them set up. It took several hours modifying each part so it would work when i switch back and forth from gas to nitro. The blower received two more 1/8" pipe holes for a total of four nozzles. The car will idle off these. after all of that work today i was able to get to my local speed shop to get some wire separators to clean up that mess. With the chassis inspection this saturday all the effort by the shop has gone into getting it prepared to pass. Mike dont sell yourself short. Your car looks great and runs tens. Thats far more than most can say. Steve i thought about a generator on the roof with a window unit fabbed into the passenger window.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  23. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

HA_HA.. looks like a dadgum rocket ship man.. does NASA know about this ??

els and mad mikey like this.
  24. 20160401_192558.jpg Everything went smooth picking up the car today. My time for inspection is 8:15 sat. It should be a lot of fun. S.e. wisc. Forcast is calling fot
    Temp a balmy 38
    Wind sustained 20160401_161759.jpg 20160401_174234.jpg 35. Gusting to 50 mph
    1 inch or less of snow
    the rear end is all done now. The anti rollbar is removed in this pic. The drive train is all in. I just need to get the driveshaft shortened.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    els, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  25. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have high hopes for your inspection! ( what could go wrong? ) Good luck, Gary

26. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always impressed with this post.

27. boston hemi are you with the mr boston top fuel car?

els likes this.
  28. 20160402_085443.jpg 20160402_085426.jpg 20160402_085810.jpg 20160402_095405.jpg 20160402_095419.jpg Well that was fun. Almost white out conditions at times with the blowing snow. I was the first car through the inspection. Mission accomplished. I went for a pro tag. Thats 7.49-6.50 with a red sticker. They measure the outside diameter of each bar then sonic check it. The welds are checked to make sure they go all the way around. They use the chassis drawings to make sure all the bars are there and in the right places.

els, Dog_Patch, BigDrag and 11 others like this.
  29. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Congratulations! That has to feel god having that inspection behind you! It has been fun watching your project come together this winter.

30. Thanks. It feels great to put that behind me. Jim was with me in case there were any issues. We went through with out any b.s.

loudbang, tomkelly88 and volvobrynk like this.