Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hang my head in shame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upspirate, Mar 22, 2016.

1. upspirate

upspirate

I hate to ask,as I hate trailered cars and never owned one.

Due to a back injury and fusion surgery, I can't drive the distance to Billetproof this w/e in my channeled truck.

I was thinking of renting a trailer and towing up and wondered if they will let me park in back of the spectator lot with trailer and tow vehicle, unload the 32 and drive over to the entrance?

If not, anyone get towed doing this in the mall lot across I-75?

I e-mailed Billetproof and they never got back to me.

Hate to even think of trailering as I've driven rods from Key West up to Michigan as well as several trips to NSRA events

2. prpmmp

prpmmp

Don't be ashamed in something you can't control!! Being there is the important thing!! Enjoy!! ( wish I could help but I can't) Pete

3. Staying over night? How about the hotel parking lot?

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, hotel parking lots very rarely have any issues with trailers in their lots....especially with an event they are aware of.

5. Somethings you just can't control. Don't hang your head as long as you keep fighting for what you love your in good standing. Some people would give up and stop hotroding sell there stuff off. Hotel is probably the way to go.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

ya gotta do what ya gotta do

7. upspirate

upspirate

Hotel is a good idea, but I'm just coming up for the day. Thanks for the replies

8. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

I'm pretty sure I seen a couple of truck and trailers in the parking area. Last time I went

9. There will be plenty of guys trailering for lesser reasons.
    There will be plenty that won't even attempt to go for lesser reasons.
    There should be no shame in your game !

10. I'll bet if it is far enough to tow that you will need a room, maybe they'll let you leave the truck and trailer at the motel and you can bounce over from there?

S for the back I am supposed to do my Birthday in Berdoo this year, I am just about 7 weeks into a major shoulder repair and I may be cleared to ride my bike by my B day and may not it will be cutting it close. They guys offered to fly me out if I can't ride, I won't be ashamed about it but it will not be the same as riding out.

Tow it and enjoy the ride my friend, you got to live all of what you been given. ;)

Murphy32 and firstinsteele like this.
  11. Movinman

Movinman

There is room to park your trailer in the spectator parking lot.

12. upspirate

upspirate

Thanks for the replies and encouragement everyone!
    I had thought of switching the body for a roadster body, but this truck body is too nice, and the car just works well in my opinion.
    I've had fun with this one and it's time to move on.
    I'll probably just sell it and concentrate on building the coupe I've been collecting parts for 20 years

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There is no shame in trailering a car, especially on a long distance ride. Let's face it, it is one thing to jump in a 48 Ford and go 500 miles, and something totally different in an early hot rod with no roof or no creature comforts. I have driven my 27 to every Turkey Run except this past year, because we had an empty trailer going anyway, and I have to admit, the trip was pretty pleasant and I didn't miss a thing.

We trailered my Sons rpu to the same BP you are attending, and some guys sitting on lawn chairs had little comments like "I thought this was supposed to be a no trailer show." Until they start sending me a big check every month I will continue to do what I want, not what they think I should do.

Put it on a trailer and have fun, BP is great.

Don

wraymen likes this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang your head? Are you nuts? Go man, enjoy the show. I have a bad back too and just swapped an A pickup for a 39 Tudor. I've trailered to shows for decades and never once in shame. Sometimes a 1 day event means a trailer gets you there faster, and home faster too. Rock that shit the best you can. As said above, others would not even try so props to you. Get there early and park out back, and give a Singlefinger Salute to anyone who dares to judge your needs.

stimpy, wraymen and Texas Webb like this.
  15. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Dude, you have nothing to be sorry about, you are doing everything in your power to get to the show in spite of your surgery. The issues with trailers, are the healthy ones that don't drive their cars because they are afraid of a stone chip or don't want to get their engine dirty because they won't get some lousy $20 trophy. Good luck and I am sure you can find a place for the trailer.

stimpy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. Be sure to have some watchful eyes on your truck and trailer.Lots of theft going around.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. Never be ashamed or think you need to make excuses to anybody. This is a hobby, not an endurance test. The key is to have FUN. I know its more fun to drive, than trailer. But we need to do what we need to do. I have people ask me if there's something wrong with my coupe. As they don't see it as often anymore. I have to tell them, no the coupes OK, but the driver cant ride in it over an hour any more. ha. ha. So a model A coupe with a 6 inch chop is more FUN! But if I cant stand up once I get there, I really need to drive the Nomad. The older my RODs get the cooler they are, not so much with me. lol Ron...

wraymen likes this.
  18. wicarnut

wicarnut

Enjoy the Hobby as you have been, everybody agrees, NO shame in trailer,
    maybe you did not notice in past, lots of trailers around shows. As we age, "SHIT HAPPENS", adjust, adapt and Have Fun !

Ron Funkhouser and wraymen like this.
  19. Sir, Your post is a perfect example of why it is a bad idea to judge other people. I also have never trailered a car to a show but we have all heard the trailer queen remarks directed at people that do. Maybe now people that read this will think a little before uttering stupid comments. If you get any slack F-um, enjoy the show. My hat is off to ya'.

Just a thought; there has got to be a Walmart close by and they seem to be tolerant to trailers if you find there is no place to park your rig.

wicarnut and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. I will say that i trailered my old Touring to the HAMB drags. One, because it was for sale and maybe not coming home with me and TWO because it was a two seater and i doubt CrazyD, Shortbull and I would fit in it for the 14 hour drive! Fact is, some folks just have a good reason to use a stretcher. Others? Not so much. Drag it up there and don't feel bad.

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

No need to hang your head in this case! People who trailers there cars everywhere, makes people with a good reason to trailer, fear people who drive there 08 mustang to a show and walk in.
    Please don't!

I dislike trailer queens a much as the next guy, but there is a big difference between a real hot rod on a trailer and a trailer queen!

Do you have a picture of the car.

wraymen likes this.
  22. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Hey, just come on up and join us. I seem to recall there is a trailer-friendly restaurant close by. Ask one of the crew working the show and we can find out from Alan. Don't let a few nay-sayers or a sore back keep you from having some fun.

volvobrynk and wraymen like this.
  23. There are many legitimate reasons to trailer your car to a show and like you I don't trailer my cars unless it's broke.

Health problems are a prime reason to haul your car but I'm not sure I would go through the trouble for just one day.HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. upspirate

upspirate

Hot Rod truck.jpg

Donald A. Smith and wraymen like this.
  25. deucemac

deucemac

I would not worry what [people say about trailering. I have two useless knees, a bad back and wear braces on both legs. I drive my roadster every chance I get and some times I am willing to make up an excuse to drive it! There are times when distance and weather are a factor. When that happens, I will load it on a trailer and go! The most important thing to remember is, if you really enjoy the car, find a way to enjoy it. If somebody makes a lousy remark about my car on a stretcher, the worse that can happen to them is a whack from my cane or run into them with my mobility scooter! I will fine a way to enjoy my roadster until the day I assume room temperature, horizontal attitude and stare at the root side of the grass. NEVER apologize for doing what it takes to have fun with your car. I built mine to drive and if it is only around the fairgrounds than so be it! It looks like you have fun car so make it fun and to hell with anyone that disagrees

Donald A. Smith and volvobrynk like this.
  26. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida

I attended last year & the hotel was pretty accommodating.

27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay fell free to trailer it, that ain'tno trail queen! That's a proper rod!
    If you ain't up to driving it, trailer it in and roll thru the gates and don't take people's BS, for anything then BS!

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm 78, and when on uneven surfaces use a cane, plus I bring a mobility scooter to events. Can't very well load that scooter in my '''''31"A" Hiboy, so it goes in the bac of my truck and the Hiboy goes on my trailer.
    If people can't appreciate that some of us can't get about like we did years ago, then that's their problem, not mine.

Donald A. Smith and volvobrynk like this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if there was a reason I couldn't drive an old car to a show I would just drive my regular car and park outside. I already know what my cars look like, I go to see others.

if I chose to trailer a car for whatever reason what other people thought of it would not even enter my mind.

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  30. Funny thing but if memory serves Billet Proof was started by a guy who got snubbed by the really cool guys at car shows because his car didn't measure up. Perhaps the spirit of the show has been lost in the snobbery of being not welcome to hang out with the really cool guys.

Just an observation here not pure judgment.