Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Portland swap meet is coming!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Mar 6, 2015.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They do have parts/wagon staging area(s) at bus stops, no room on bus for wagons(even empty). Will need to take bus back to car then bring car back to gate/pullout to load up.
    A bit of a pain, but that's the system, works pretty good.
    Remember to get a hand stamp.

2. Duke

Duke

Thank you! Really looking forward to this. On Thursday is it only open to 5, or do you need to be inside the gates by 5?

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I always go, even if I'm not building anything. Of course I have to take Thu. and Fri. off from retirement to go!

4. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Ill be there..been going about 25 years..Great swap meet...

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Going to try even if I don't need anything, haven't been for a few years

6. I'm building a new car in the garage right now. Got my motel room and will be there for sure. Cheers.

7. 30ARoadster

30ARoadster
    from Salem, OR

8. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

No spaces for us this year. Doing the track on Thursday and the Expo on Friday. If I can find a bell housing then I "might" try to swap engines in the Stude on Saturday before my buddy leaves on Sunday morning

Bring your rain gear.

9. rusty bill

rusty bill

Looks like a lot of us are in building "D". I will be in stalls #3208&#3209 on the end of the middle aisle as you pass through the hall. Stop by and BS.:)

10. I once saw a complete flathead on a wagon on the light rail....not mine of course but sure was heavy......

11. daddylama

daddylama

I always park down by interstate & Mississippi, take the light rail up. saves the headache of parking.

I've loaded a wagon up with way more than it's max safe capacity and hauled it back to my truck on the light rail. nobody seems to batt an eye. I had a mini bike, 4 slot mags, 2 A I beams and some little stuff all loaded up, along with two of my kids (2 and 6 years old at the time)... kids were helping push.

taking 2 or 3 of my kids to the expo on Sunday... low expectations, but hoping to find some early Ford stuff... maybe score a deal or two for some junk that nobody wants to haul home...

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well---
    Who scored what?

13. JimSibley

JimSibley

14. daddylama

daddylama

I'm not making it out there until tomorrow, likely once all of the good deals are snagged up and just the junk is left...

15. JimSibley

JimSibley

It was good. Bought an old Fenton 4 speed shifter for cheap

16. I went today, didn't find what I was looking for. I walked the PIR track and got there about 715 am a lot of things were still covered up. So maybe what I needed was under a tarp. I used the bus with no problems. and I had two good bloody marys at the bar in the expo center.

17. daddylama

daddylama

expo was a little thin today... but scored a SUPER clean '30 A grill shell for $30, '40 ford split bones for a few bones... and a '28-29 A front fender for nothin'

18. voodoo1

voodoo1

Did the '29 coupe that was posted above sell? Kinda looking for one. Mike

19. daddylama

daddylama

the one above was priced nice compared to the pile of cast-off parts that made up a '30 coupe body a dude wanted $3k for

20. JimSibley

JimSibley

I saw 3 model a coupe bodies for under 1000$. They were all rough but very reasonably priced.

21. Anybody wanna share some more good scores? I always leave there with lotsa stuff.

22. Duke

Duke

Picked up a new set of supremes, a pair of chrome reverse with nos firestone cheaters, 35 ford truck firewall for the 34, seat belts, single grove pulleys for the 327, and a nice original park light bezel for the 55. My feet are still sore- excellent swap!

23. 117harv

117harv

2016 swap is a few days away, who's going?

24. Duke

Duke

I am, looking forward to it.

25. Jettback50

Jettback50

26. got rust2

got rust2

I'll be there, walking the track Thur, expo, Friday, Sat,who knows.

27. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

When you catch a bus from the parking area, make sure to catch a "handicap/wheelchair bus", you should not have any trouble loading your wagon and 'goodies'. Last time I was there about 25/30% of the busses were handicap types..... Have fun and good luck shopping.....

Lynn W

28. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

We have spaces 2098-2100 this year (on the main drag not far from the catwalk) incase anyone needs to rest or get out of the rain.

29. I booked a hotel about a month ago. Just bought some new walking shoes to wear out.
    I usually don't find much of what I'm looking for but the truck comes back full just the same.

If you're traveling from Canada and have never gone before create a detailed list of the stuff you buy with prices and total to give to Customs at the boarder. It will likely save you a hassle. You'll sometimes get charged PST so keep that in mind.

30. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

A bump and reminder- it's coming up fast!

Weather outlook is promising, too!