Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods want to make a fortune?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JOECOOL, Mar 21, 2016.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I wish someone would make sockets and tools so us old guys could read the sizes. I know I'm getting old ,and my tri focals are new but I am having a heck of a time these days . The gauges on the welding gas bottles are shrinking too. I never knew it would get like this I would have taken up drinking instead of hot rods.

williebill likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

All my life I had 20-15 vision. Until I was 40. I got an aluminum chip in my left eye, rinsed (flooded!) it, thought I got it out. 2 or 3 days later, it was red, and all I could see were shapes out of it! Then the shapes faded, and it was like a gray screen.
    Eye doc took a good look, said there was something in the cornea...?
    Two docs came down from Stanford (to San Jose), and I was scheduled for some EYE INJECTIONS!
    I weighed that with the alternative: "Stick a Needle in my eye" vs. wearing a cool pirate patch...
    O.K. I sold my '40 Merc and my mild custom '53 Vic. Some other treasures, also...Regained most of my sight, (injections 'melted' scar tissue that had formed inside cornea, from the trauma of the aluminum)

Prescription glasses followed, and as I finally got used to them, I was accustomed to looking at bolts and automatically going for that size socket, or end wrench...
    Bad thing was the glasses made 1/2" bolts & nuts out of what were really 7/16", so when I got to the toolbox, grabbed the tool that looked to be what I had known and recognized since 1950!
    ...And I was WRONG!
    ...I haven't 'taken up' drinking, but I seem to have RESUMED it...:p

3. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

they make them with big numbers and even color code them . u must be out of touch .

4. gatz

gatz

Years past when working as a mechanic, I used to be able to just grab a socket, knowing what size it was; don't seem to be able to do that now...probably 'cause I don't work as a mechanic...yeah, that's it.

Craftsman made their sockets with such damn fine shallow print...hard to see even when new.
    At least now, there are some ID'd with laser and it's easy to read.

I'm going to get a set of something like these...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...socket+label.TRS0&_nkw=socket+labels&_sacat=0

The prices don't seem too bad.... heck of a lot less than new sockets.
    And, like dorf mentioned, they're color-coded

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some of my Snap Ons have very fine print, too. Real problem sometimes, didn't used to be!
    I have all my socket sets on runners in the top box. (SAE in far rows, metric in the closest)
    I don't 'live' in the toolbox like I did when I had the shop...(more fab stuff now, less customer repairs, etc.)
    Wife compliments me on my appearance. Shit. Wish I could see as good as she says I look!

6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

You can buy large print decals to mark all of your sockets, saw some at a swap meet. I bought mine on ebay just search socket size decals.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I normally have all my tools hung on pegboard on the wall, but I am building a new garage right now, so everything is dumped in boxes, takes foreveer to find anything. A couple days ago, I look at this bolt, and say to myself, " looks like 1/2, gotta find a socket", so I am digging through these boxes, keep finding 9/16" and tossing them aside. After about twenty minutes I finally find a 1/2" deep, go back to what I was doing, goddam socket is TOO SMALL!! #@$% bolt is 9/16"!!! Coulda kicked myself! Cripes, no wonder it takes me an hour to get anything done these days!

Paul likes this.
  8. Simple answer. Look at the bolt/nut. Decide if it's 1/2 are 9/16. Go to the tool box if it's 1/2 get 1/2 and 9/16. If it's 5/8 take a 5/8 and a 11/16.

9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have Craftsman sockets and they are hard to read and I can't grab from size like I used to be able to. Mine are on pegs in the tool box but still grab the wrong size way too often. Think I will look into the decals.

10. metalman

metalman

Yeah, I relate, kinda like trying to read a phone number in the phone book ( yes, I'm old, still use a phone book).
    Luckily I can still judge the size of the bolt except lately we've been having some metric stuff around, it's a real bitch to tell a 12 from a 13!
    Atwater Mike, I know what your saying, I wear contacts but if I wear my glasses I'm forever grabbing the wrong wrench, everything looks smaller with glasses.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pha! I bet you are one of those guys that reads the instructions too...:D:rolleyes:

slack likes this.
  12. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

It's the "Golden Years". Mine are the brass years. I hate it but there's nothing I can do about it so I just live with it. The only thing I really miss is being able to weld and cut. My hands shake too much, I can't see worth a damn and can't pee. I won't quit, though. The thought of sitting and rotting doesn't appeal to me ay all. Send me your paint and I'll shake it for you.

williebill and falcongeorge like this.
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Sometimes I just bring the whole metal storage thingy to the job; at least I do not have to do multiple trips.

falcongeorge likes this.
  14. Sporty45

Sporty45

I don't know about any wrench sets, but Craftsman makes these. I have a couple sets and they are very easy to read!
    [​IMG]

BHR301 likes this.
  15. I sometimes throw all my tools into my cleaner after a big job and then into the sink with some dish washing soap so I doubt the stick on labels would hold up to that. I'm going to try acetone cleaning and then filling in the engraved markings with some kind of epoxy based red or green paint.

16. Damn! I hope I never get as old as you old farts. (I'm only 70.) :)

17. slack

slack

These are the shiz-nit. Better get the 2 for 10.00 deal though or you'll run short.;)

18. include taps, dies, drill bits, reams,................

Hollywood-East likes this.
  19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I 1st noticed it with my impact sockets. I used my Dremel with a carbide bit to re-mark them with big numbers. Worked well on the black finish.

Gary

20. roundvalley

roundvalley

Old guys don't buy many new tools because they take such good care of the ones they have had forever!

21. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I usually take 3 sockets or wrenches with me on a trip from the tool box, the size I thought it should be, the next size smaller, and he next size bigger. That cuts down on the trips to the tool box. My issue now is the metric bolts thrown into the mix. When it comes to the metric, I take the whole socket set, and a fist full of wrenches.

I'm trying to do less wrench pulling these days, its a lot less frustrating. Gene

22. 48stude

48stude

When you get to be our age , you really understand the definition of perseverance. Bill

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well, yes..5 days ago I needed two 1/2 " combination wrenches to make an adjustment on I can't remember what...I only have one wrench, the other who knows where [tell me!]...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I wrapped a piece of electrical tape around every other socket in my rack, 5/16, 7/16, 9/16, 11/16, 13/16.

williebill likes this.