Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can't wipe the smile from my face!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackout78666, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Great stuff, did ya hang the rear out on those dirt roads?

2. dad-bud

dad-bud

Looks great and really pleased you got it running.
    I thought it was a 32 when I first saw it - looks real good

3. blackout78666

blackout78666

Yes kiwi the car was " outta shape" a bit. It's like the dirt road was tempting me. Shit I do the same thing in my daily driver too. Thanks for the kind words on the car. It's by no means done. Onto all those devilish details and a good soaking in root beer. I always take a st. Chris with me. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458554651.339292.jpg
    Here's a pic from 8 months ago. God made dirt and dirt don't hurt. Real pisser having it outside all the time while putting together. Still have to finish up the dash and get the gauges all working and ditch the triple gauge setup ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458554913.141427.jpg
    But I woke up this morning wanting to ditch work and keep trucking on it so I can drive it up to the lone star round up. We'll be there with the Oasis Beer company folks and their slow ride merc we painted for them last year. We got the call 4 days before the show to repaint it!!! Y'all be sure to stop by and say hello ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458555133.055015.jpg . Onward!!!

4. The dash looks killer in that thing!! Nice work man!!

5. blackout78666

blackout78666

Thanks for the kind words. Check this shit out ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458601503.239565.jpg
    So during lunch today I started going over the car, checking for leaks, loose bolts, shakedown type stuff. Damn near shit my pants when I saw the drivers side kingpin! Another 1/8" out and I would have had a handful and most likely a wadded up parts car. I am very thorough and methodical about mechanical things, cars in particular and had made sure the bolts were in there and tight as well as everything else on the car. But after taking them out it was a 3/8 bolt and should have been a 1/2". Gonna have to throw away my britches as I shit myself slack jawed as I was sitting there realizing how lucky I am. So underwear less I fixed the problem and went out and romped on it again to get that smile back on my face!!!

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang! Close one

7. kwjsimpson

kwjsimpson

Dang!! Glad you caught it when you did. Be a shame for things to go South so soon. Loving what you've done so far!

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: That was definitely an"Oh Shit"moment.Please keep the updates coming.Nice looking build.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. Bader2

Bader2

Shouldn't be a bolt period! Use the proper wedge bolt!

10. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Exactly....

flatheadpete likes this.
  11. Part of the first shake-down run is double checking everything three times. Catching litle things before they get big ensures that you don't have to go commando in the hotrod anymore.

BradinNC and kiwijeff like this.
  12. Bader2

Bader2

This bolt. Also a positive stop for the steering so your not beating up on the internal stops of your steering box.[​IMG]

13. blackout78666

blackout78666

Thanks for the pic, was not familiar with this piece of hardware. 37 as I posted before this car was checked over front to back before its first time on the road. Many times. During the build, and leading up to its first outing. I like learning as much as doing and don't cut corners. I got the car as a roller and all of the workmanship looked very solid and competent. I posted this up as a cautionary example. Sure took me by surprise and maybe a few guys who have projects they are working on that have had others hands on em will take a second look here.

BradinNC, kiwijeff and Jet96 like this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have an extra pair if you need them.....

blackout78666 likes this.
  15. blackout78666

blackout78666

Pm sent. Thanks so much!

16. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

From Shit eatin Grin to Oh Shit in one week, got to love these old cars!

mad mikey likes this.
  17. Not trying to bust your balls. Glad you made it back in one piece. I've seen more than one maiden voyage end up being towed back to the shop after one piece didn't like the way it was attached to another piece, even though it was done right and checked out before hand. I've had things come undone that have been torqued, locktited or cotter pinned in place. I don't rest easy until I know that everything is going to play nice together. Even then, there are some problem children that I still check every so often.

Now get back out there and start grinning again!

18. blackout78666

blackout78666

I learned years ago on shakedown runs to never go farther than your willing to walk back. Had a generous offer from flathead Pete to send me the correct parts to hold the kingpin in and he wouldn't take a dime for them .Thanks Pete! Goal is to try and have it ready for the roundup. And even though I had to ditch those britches I'm still grinning. Onward!

Nailhead Jason and kiwijeff like this.
  19. I really like it when guys tell about when they fuck something up. We all do it and we all don't tell about that part of the build. Takes a man to do that...Way to go dude..

Tim, BradinNC, brad2v and 1 other person like this.
  20. clem

clem

Neat car, had me looking twice !
    But,
    None of that pic would be legal over here..
    Every bolt must have 2 threads extending past the nut.
    Others have mentioned the cotter pin (wedge bolt ? )
    I don't know what the bar type thing, perhaps you could elaborate.... Thanks

21. mike bowling

mike bowling

Great looking car- just in time for summer. Keep smiling, it's only the beginning!
    Have fun; be safe, and drive the wheels off that beauty!!

22. blackout78666

blackout78666

Thanks Duece and for the good words. Although I try to do everything right the first time , I have learned more by f'n things up or doing things the wrong way, in general. I had a carpenter tell me once " true craftsmanship isn't perfection the first time every time, but making it right before anyone sees it". I'm a fabricator by trade and sometimes what your working on just gets away from ya and you have to know when to say "uncle" Clem you brought up a good point. Again more stuff to look over as this car gets more roadworthy. "Bar type thing" is the steering arm. The car has cowl steering. Forget your hands at 10 and 2 , its 9 and 3. Tracks straight and steers like a go cart. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458734455.581267.jpg

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'll hit the post office in a few hours. I'm excited for you!!

blackout78666 likes this.
  24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Old School Kool ! Congrats !

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

See you in Austin!

26. blackout78666

blackout78666

Yes! Y'all make sure and swing by the Oasis beer trailer towards the back of the event grounds behind the cackle cars and say hello. We'll have the " slow ride" merc there as well as plenty of cold beer and shade. Got a wild hair and I think we're going to try and get some paint on it as well. Again appreciate the kind words and positive feedback. And the kindness of flathead Pete and nailhead Jason who both offered to send me the wedge bolts. Solid. And our shop is right down the road in San Marcos so if any of y'all get in a pinch or need something while your down here give me a holler and we will get you squared up best we can.

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

28. I had a car with a hole in the floor board once, it was perfect for dropping beer cans out while running down the highway. Of all the things that could be changed on the car I would not change that. ;)

Nice old sedan, get it worked out and grin like a possum for a very long time. :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats @#*&%$# priceless!!:p:p

30. blackout78666

blackout78666

image.jpeg Ok so the patented moon tank mounts did their job but all of the gas fell out. Hahah. My co pilot is calling one of the guys from the shop to bring us some more go juice. I've got an 80's suburban were gonna try to get all of the smog stuff off of and convert the engine over and try and get better gas mileage. ;)
    Blew off work this afternoon to make and install some rain gutters and fill in some of the back seams
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Not like the gutters are gonna help with no roof,Windows,or windshield. Haha

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    kidcampbell71, brad2v and Tim like this.