Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A rebuild......In over my head.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Appletree, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Nice job so far, only thing I would change is a blown flatty instead of the mod motor but thas only me......

2. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Yeah, a blown flatty would be nice , but using what I got. Don't worry though , a Flathead will be in my next project. Always wanted to build one. Thanks

3. Just remember this and everything will be OK........
    936626_559532127555710_2420917440334476778_n.jpg

4. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Damn, that says it all! Thanks.

5. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Appletree
    I think it's a great engine choice. Those engines have really proven themselves.
    I have a 4.6 in my F-150. I don't really take good care of it and it's been trouble-free for over 255,000 miles.

6. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thank you Sir! Always had great luck with my Fords too and I took pretty good care of them. Nowadays all OEM parts are made overseas and maybe assembled here ....., if we're lucky. So , I would definitely have to say taking care of them is a big big part and maybe a little luck.

7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great build! Subscribed!

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

"Flathead Fever" got me a couple of years ago and I sunk some serious dough into a motor that wasn't very cooperative and maybe put out 110 HP. I'm cured of that . Looked real pretty, but...........
    I do have a 4 banger in my roadster, but a 302 in my coupe ( don't tell anyone). 70 mph all day long.
    Keep hammering away, and we need MORE pictures! We like pictures!

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Appletree.Looking good so far.As my Grand Father used to say"Slow and sure,beats the Hell quick and dead".Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. U-235

U-235

uhhhh...sir....your house is on fire.[​IMG]n fire.

Sporty45 likes this.
  11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D There`s an old saying,"When you`re up to your ass in alligators,it`s hard to remember that your primary objective was to drain the swamp".IF you are not to that point yet,you ain`t in over yer head.:rolleyes::p
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thanks for the support!!! I will definitely post more pics.

13. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Not sure if I mentioned this but , I ask my girlfriend of 3 years to marry me and she said , yes! My point is...... I want to drive away in this "A" when her and I make our grand exit. So I've dedicated every free hour that Iam not sleeping or working. I definitely know it's a obtainable goal and will succeed. I will try to post all my work and as much info as I can. Oh, we're getting married March 4th 2017

14. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Damn, that's funny. I never saw that:)

15. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thanks! I hope you get something good out of it.

16. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Hey that is great. Congratulations. Best thing i ever did. Great build. I'm a subscriber.

17. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Keep up the good work. I like the choice of engine because it's different. I kind of get tried of sbc in every other car. Remember all good things take time.

18. Sporty45

Sporty45

I saw that too. I kept thinking about the movie Firestarter!!! Even the look on the little girls face! :p

19. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

LMAO, right! They had Drew Berrymore play the little girl, right? It was cold that day , so we had the fire pit going.

Sporty45 likes this.
  20. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thanks! I'am definitely glad I'am doing it that way. A little more work but It will set it apart. I've actually only seen two 31's with 4.6 mod motors. One was a crazy blown DOHC that prob cost $100k to make and one that a father and son built. They had a good story. Worked on it every night for a year. It wasn't all chromed out (thank god)but screamed passion.

21. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yes indeed, it was Drew Barrymore!
    [​IMG]

22. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

23. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Not sure how I wrote that.....

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

comment : as soon as you strip , primer so not to rust . I used rubber blocks between frame / body . just don't go metal to metal .... lots of wear & squeaks .................... nice car

25. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Do you mean where the wooden blocks would go? I was thinking of adding some tubing where the bolts are and closing the subrails up with some .125 flat bar, then welding it. Then adding some rubber welt before putting in on the frame.

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i had access to rubber blocks ( 1/2" thick) & put 2 ea. in where the wood blocks go . seems to be fine . wood is a bitch to put in (MHO)

27. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Ok, so ran into a problem with my oil filter housing. The oil filter sticks out vertically on these motors, which is bad news when trying to replace it. Not enough room between the oil filter and the frame. Also , the coolant return is integrated into the housing. So I have an idea to reroute the oil filter and keep the coolant return in place. Going to do a little hack job and some fabbing. Here are some pics. IMG_2162[1].JPG IMG_2174[1].JPG IMG_2175[1].JPG IMG_2177[1].JPG IMG_2179[1].JPG IMG_2194[1].JPG
    So, basically once I've separated them. I'll tap oil supply and return holes on the housing and on the block for a AN
    fitting. Then just run some braided line. This will put the oil filter more towards the tranny and free up tons of room for exhaust and steering box. I'll post more when I get it installed.

Attached Files:

28. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Tacking engine motor mounts for dry fit. Cardboard is your friend if you do a lot of the fabbing for the mounts
    or when trying to find angles. IMG_2172[1].JPG IMG_2170[1].JPG IMG_2191[1].JPG IMG_2188[1].JPG IMG_2196[1].JPG

29. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thanks for the advice!

30. Appletree- I have a set of the model A coupe wood body supports and I won't be using them. I'll contribute them if you want to pay the shipping from 87571. might help move things along. PM me if you want them.