Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AA front end questions??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Krokodilen, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Krokodilen

Krokodilen
    from Sweden

Hi I`m collecting parts for my project. Got a nice deal on a AA-chassie and what are the differences between the A and the AA front axle? I see that the spring is a lot beefier and the brake drums seems to be beefier to. I`m planning on using this in my prewar bobtail project. Got to convert the brakes to juicy-brakes to get my projekt road-legal here in Sweden so I`ll probably won't use the drums anyway? Is there any other issues with the AA axle?

2. trad27

trad27

What year, I believe that early '28 had Same axle as A. And later had a heavier duty axle.

patmanta and 1928Fordman like this.
  3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

go to "ford AA truck center" then to 'forums' for lots of info. BE CAREFUL : these guys are "purists", & can be nasty if asked "non-purist" questions(like about 'modern' brake systems). I used '99-newer Ford 4-wheel disc brakes on mine ; Used rear rotors on both ends, fabbed front caliper brackets, minor machine work on rear axle(I used '34 axles on both ends for strength & used truck ring & pinion rear, NOT worm gear drive from '28) & used the modern backing plates on the rear to have the modern emergency brakes inside the rotors. I used one of the '34 hubs to 'match-drill' the rotors(the holes don't matter as they're mounted in 'shear' anyway) & am using the 'Budd' style wheel/hub from '31-newer. I know this sounds complicated, but the 'swap' was actually quite simple & rather inexpensive(mostly wrecking yard parts except for the 'plumbing'). Mine is a '28 AA - 1-1/2 ton Express-bed pick-up.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. Krokodilen

Krokodilen
    from Sweden

I was told that it was a -28, it`s got the worm gear rearend. I`ll post picks tomorrow when there`s some light out. The chassie was shortened and converted into a farmtracktor in the -40:ies so it might not be correct. I`ll probably use Volvo 544 drum brakes all round. They are cheep here and parts ar readily available. I remember something about the 544 spindle fits the A-axle.

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

If it is a '28 AA the frontend is the same as the A passenger unit, but check closely, as there was a change in late '28-early '29 to a larger spindle diameter(one year only), but the king-pin wasn't changed, so a '28 A spindle could be interchanged if yours is the 'odd-ball' spindle. If you're also using an early Ford V-8 type rear axle, the Volvo disc-brake swap was fairly common in the '70s, especially with Banger or Flathead motors that wouldn't destroy the early rearend, & allowed the use of early wheels, either by re-drilling or with adapters. Good luck with your build, & please keep us updated w/pictures!! The worm drive is fine for restorers or tractors, but, if for no other reason, it keeps the center of gravity too high for a serious race vehicle, such as a 'bob-tail', besides the limited choice of gear ratios.

6. Good luck with your project. I have one of those homemade farm tractors that I converted into a street legal ride. Pretty basic but a kick to chase around in. Mine started out as a '28 Chevy, first year for 4-wheel brakes. To my knowledge, the engine has not been opened up. Starts and runs like a clock. Also, has about the same power as a clock...

7. Krokodilen

Krokodilen
    from Sweden

Here`s some IMG_1064.JPG IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1070.JPG pics.

8. Krokodilen

Krokodilen
    from Sweden

I`m going to pickup a model A-rear end next weekend.

9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I saved all my '28 parts(I do have the wire wheels also) for an early "speedster"(think "Mercer" or "Stutz". LOL!!), but that project is a long way off, or at least until I finish my "A-A". If you are going to use an "A" reat & single cross spring, please post the "A-A" dual rear springs, rear-end, & associated parts on the "A-A" website as there will be someone looking for them(usually is, at least in the past.) Thanks, & good luck for your project!!

10. Krokodilen

Krokodilen
    from Sweden

The Swedish "EPA" (Car or Truck converted to Tractor) was not allowed to retain its rear springs. So I did not get them. I did get the wormgear rear end tho. But the wheels I`w got are 20" steel rims.
    But I don't think anybody wants to pay shipping from Sweden!