Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Can you lower a 46 Buick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yetiskustoms, Mar 20, 2016.

1. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

The 46 Buick in question and belongs to a friend so I'm as ng the questions on his behalf.

The 46 Buick has the knee action suspension which is big and bulky, but works. The car is a bone stock convertible that is a nice cruiser.

He wants the car to sit just a little lower untill we do a front ifs conversion like an Mll or somthing like that.

My question is, can the front be lowered a little??

Thanks!

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If you're going to butcher it up with a Pinto front end later, then just torch all the springs ...

3. There is a ridiculous amount of awesome information with the link below. It's mentions some Rod and Custom posts specifically ... and expands with some other reasonable and correlated stuff diving into those. The final outcome is very HAMB friendly but does devil advocate in several other directions.

My boss has a 1948 Oldsmobile ... the big banger .... Olds 98. His is all stock. Shock towers added, different spindles, and disc brake stuff wasn't his bag. It's a great car. He left his alone. He agreed with me for once, and he's my boss. Go figure. One of us is an idiot maybe. Check please. :D

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...e#Key_shortcomings_of_the_original_suspension

What does your Buick look like ? His Oldsmobile looks like this .... almost exactly .... but NOT the same car. Interweb pic'. Cool cruisers for sure. I just posted to see a bone stock '46 Buick convertible. [​IMG]

4. 851__17996_1405608198_1280_1280.jpg
    If the spring pads are removable from the A arms, these work-
    You insert the blocks between the arm and the spring pad, leave your stock springs in, and it can all be unbolted later if you want to return to stock height.

yetiskustoms likes this.

5. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

Yes they can be lowered
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458531516.527917.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

You can cut the springs In the front if you just want it a little lower and in the rear a set of chevelle rear coil springs lowers it about 3 inches. That's what I had and worked out well because the rear coils are so tall in those buicks

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Old Chevys have the same type of suspension and guys have been lowering them since day 1.

8. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Tell him to pick up a heard of fat girls that will get it lower

9. Cut coils work. Fatman makes dropped spindles, much better because ride stays the same. Rear is coil springs and the bucket is perfect for airbags. if you want a certain stance, you don't even have to go the tank and compressor route, just air it up to the height you desire with schrader valves.