Register now to get rid of these ads!

international truck cameo/sweptside style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Dec 26, 2006.

1. ok guys! came across a 1958? international truck 1/2 ton and the box sides were like a GM cameo or DODGE sweptside. after looking at it for some time and the owner telling me that it was a model built to compete with GM'S cameo. blew me away! had no idea these truck existed. i have been on IH sites and never ever come across one of these. when i first notice the box sides on the truck it reminded me the first time i laid eyes on a 58' dodge sweptside truck and though "who in the hell put station wagon sides on a pickup". anyone seen one of the or is this just a bigfoot sighting?:rolleyes:

2. 53burb

53burb

Post some pics so we can all see this IH that ya talk about. KNUX!

3. LowFat48

LowFat48

I believe those were made in `57 and called the golden jubilee (A-100) addition , they`re cool trucks , especially the gold and white ones

Attached Files:

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

1957 International Harvester "Golden Jubilee"

[​IMG]

Dodges and Chevrolets weren't the only "fleetside" trucks available in the '50s. Dodges sold in Canada were known as Fargos, and the Sweptside bed was available. Only five known of today, good records weren't kept back then. Even rarer was the DeSoto trucks, none known to exist now and only available in Oz and Africa.

Fargo
    [​IMG]

DeSoto
    [​IMG]

belair likes this.

5. Yep, they exist, though are not common. In the late '50s, in one of its sporadic attempts to seriously compete in the light truck market, or at least catch up.....they did this. They also offered deluxe (for the time) interiors, two-tone paint, wraparound windshields, Bonus-Load beds, OHV V-8s, & other trends of the time.

International was actually a leader in many light truck areas....factory integrated 4WD (as opposed to aftermarket conversions like the Coleman or Marmon-Herrington); a true crew cab and a super cab, years before anyone else; and nine foot pickup beds. How many times would a 9' bed come in handy when hauling building materials? I'd gladly pay for one. :) Unfortunately, their light truck marketing didn't quite advance as far as the engineering.

6. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I had a '57 in the 1980's that I used in my business as a garage door mechanic (build & install overhead garage doors) in and around San Luis Obispo, Ca.
    Mine had a Plymouth 318 with the push button trans mounted on the dash. I have pictures but I can't attach them...BUMMER!
    Wish I ha....oh never mind!

7. repoguy

repoguy

DeSoto
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Wow, that DeSoto truck rules!

I want one!

Any front end shots???

8. leadsled01

leadsled01

The guy from central Ohio came to haul my 50 plymouth parts away and used his early 60's IH with the coolest bed. I have never seen one before. Real cool truck with 302 mustang running gear, paint was sort of dark orange with cream two tone starting to bubble. He said he's gonna sell it at Kentucky Good Guys this summer for $9,000. He said it was IH version of the chevy cameo only 500 made that year.

9. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Actuallly this truck would have been made in Detroit in the same facility as the Dodge sweptside trucks were built.
    Africa and Australia would have been one of the last markets you would have seen this truck since they had production facilities of thier own to supply the local markets.
    This picture could have been taken in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamacia, Mexico, Central or South America or many other tropical export markets

Here is a picture of the front end of a Desoto truck taken in Mexico city. It has the same front end as the 57 Dodge sweptside except for the Desoto nameplate.
    [​IMG]
    The Desoto line of trucks were never sold in the states or Canada that had the Fargo line but Desoto trucks were made in Detroit.

I have contacted Chrysler historical and they have no more information or images of the Desoto Sweptside!

10. Terraizer

Terraizer

They where built in 1957 and 1958. In 1957 they where built for the 50 years of IH they where called Golden Jubilees and are gold and white in color, each dealer got one so they are pretty rare and very sought out by IH collectors. In 1958 they where called the Custom Models and could be had in any color still pretty rare. They are the same as the Cameo, a stock stepside box with added sides and tailgate cover but they are steel panels not glass. I know of about 6 of them and both owners won't part with them. The stainless parts are non exist if you need new ones and the bed side have a problem with rusting out at the top pretty bad.

11. I know it's a IH thread but I missed out (by having a friend check it out) a 57 Dodge Sweptside with a 354 under the hood and another Dodge 354 in the bed for $750 and that was just two years ago. there is a guy in portland that has a big shop and 4 Sweptsides sitting outside makes me wonder whats inside the shop? there are 2 others I know of locally. thats seven that I've found in 2 years without even looking. so much for being rare!

I think the proportions on most Mopars are wrong for chopped tops, but that rear window needs to line up with the bottom of the door glass and the roof dropped to match, even then the body is to thick as with most cars that chrysler corp built in the 50's .........Jim

12. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

VELLY INTARESTEEN. Great photos and info.

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

According to: http://www.sweptsides.com/main58.htm

Estimated total model year production and survival rates

1957 - 180 made - 75 or fewer survivors
    1958 - 975 made - 60 or fewer survivors
    1959 - 100 made - 30 or fewer survivors

So you know where about 20% of the surviving Sweptside trucks are at, that's pretty good!

14. Kendallsquires

Kendallsquires
    from Arizona

I have one of these. Purchased from original IH dealership owner. 58k miles all there. What's it worth??

15. Kendallsquires

Kendallsquires
    from Arizona

I have a 1957 golden jubilee. What's it worth??

16. sar21ca

sar21ca
    from Canada

Hey Everyone, was very excited to find this thread! My hubby and I currently have a 1957 International Golden Jubilee....she's a beauty! She was a barn find and is in great condition, we found the owner after much research and bought her; my husband even had her original motor running!
    Check out our blog we started to record everything we get done on her.
    http://our1957goldenjubileetruck.blogspot.ca/
    I am always looking for more information on these trucks and it is hard to find, it really excites me to find some, and to know that she is really rare. I would love to know how rare and the value she is worth...

Attached Files:

17. post some pictures!

18. is the speedometer in MPH or KPH? post some more pictures!

19. Saxxon

Saxxon

How can something be so ugly that it's really cool ?

I love IH truck in general. Someday I hope to stumble across my own barn find to play with. Of course it's in the same line-up as "hope to find" a surf wagon, old gasser, cool old super stocker, vintage FED or altered.... etc etc etc

20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

21. Terraizer

Terraizer

In 1957 they where on the A100-A110 and most where sold as the golden Jubilees to Celebrate 50Years of truck building by International. The jubilees where all Gold and white, but that bed was also used in 1957 and 1958 on the Customs and the could be what ever color you ordered. They are a step side bed with the stamped steel outer 1/4's bolt to them and the tailgates has a smooth cover over them.

22. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys asking what they're worth: they're worth whatever someone will pay for them.

They change hands so infrequently that the market price is reset every time one sells.

When painted right they are a beautiful truck. But this is one of those body styles that basically has to be two-tone in order to look its best.

23. smlapinski

smlapinski

The year they were bought is the year they were titled, so our title says 1959, but we are pretty sure it is a 1958 International Harvester 3/4 ton 4x4 A120 9' fleetside bonus load bed. It's a beauty! Just had a full-body frame off and painted orange right before we bought it. We are trying to find all the seals and gaskets to get the parts put back on. It has the original engine and transmission, and it runs!! Just wanted to share that there are a few of these still out there. We are struggling to hunt down a tailgate for this bed, as well as a front bumper. I'll share a pic. He's named Charlie. :) He has little to no rust and most original parts. We are currently working on getting the original bench seat stuffed and upholstered. It came with the original build sheet, which says it was a prototype.

1959 International.jpg

exterminator likes this.
  24. Terraizer

Terraizer

Smlapinski, your bed came out in 1959 and ran through 1968 in the C series, finding a tailgate won't be very hard, finding one not rusted out or beat to hell may be. Rubber gaskets are the same from 1957-1968 on the pickups/Travelalls and all the way to 1978 on the loadstars. Finding a front bumper will be hard since its 1957-1958 A series only, the B series is different. IH used Prototype alot on line set tickets, normally for the optioned out models, i have had a lot of Scouts with Prototype on the lineset ticket. And you are right on IH titleing them the year they sold. My 1957 Golden Jubilee is titled as a 1958

25. smlapinski

smlapinski

Thank you for the info! I've been struggling to find the gaskets for the front light housings, so I can put them back on. If you know of any good places to find that and other items, I would greatly appreciate any direction. Trying to make it street legal by Spring, so I can drive this beast...lol!

26. I used to have a neighbor who had a '58 or '59 IH pickup that had a 'styled' fleetside bed on it that was the only one I ever saw. Rather than the plain, straight sides usually seen, this one had a sculpted 'character' line that came off the same line on the cab and slowly 'dipped' as it went back with a 'V' in the line behind the rear wheel. Similar to (but not the same) the '61-70 Dodge fleetside bed. Had a chrome strip that followed the line and was painted in a two-tone (white upper body, pink lower/roof). Looked stone-stock, not homemade at all. Very striking styling, I tried to buy it from him but he wasn't selling.

27. Daniel Goldman

Daniel Goldman

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458525960.994194.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458526003.668499.jpg
    My 58 step side with 9' bed, and 67 travelette 4x4. Def different than most old stuff on the road.

28. jim galli

jim galli