Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Deuce firewall dilema

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deucedreamer, Jan 12, 2016.

?
  1. Cut up the Gennie Henry firewall to fit the engine

2. Purchase a Brookville repro firewall

3. Purchase a Brookville repro FLAT firewall

4. Locate and purchase another Henry firewall that isn't so nice and cut it to make it fit

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I am also using a Hurst motor mount. I'm just in the process of making the motor mounts and attaching them to the frame. What a coincidence!

2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Send me a pic of what u end up making for the frame mounts. I am going to make my own as well. Been scouting pics online of different guys designs on them. Would love to see other pics of your car and what you've done. Nice to know another BC boy working on the same stuff!

3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

It has a 69 Turbo 350, it used a Turbo 400 previous to my ownership. When I bought it off of a HAMBer, it was a rolling chassis w/o any drivetrain. I had the engine that did time in my 34 15 yrs. previous, bought a junkyard trans(since rebuilt), originally used a B radiator (see below) out of my BB Stake Truck with the tanks reversed,(since replaced with an aluminum aftermarket unit as it just cools way better). All fit well. The engine mounts and trans cross member are the key, this is where mock up comes in. If you have access to the parts that you're going to use do a test fit before the welds go on. P-Wood, PC3 and Jake all would do test fitting when doing a chassis.
    IMG_2517.JPG

[​IMG]
    The original steel firewall came from former Rod and Custom Magazine feature Editor Jim Aust.
    The radiator shell is a replacement steel unit and the insert is a original 32 part.The radiator spoke about above is a 1932 BB 1 & ½ ton truck unit that has had its lower tank and bracket reversed and its lower neck moved from the left to the right in order to be used with small block. I opted to make a set of our own Cyclone "Tight Tuck" Headers to use on it instead of the Sanderson shown above as I wanted to run a full hood and change the car if I wanted to different periods in hot rod time. IMG_1947.JPG IMG_5068.PNG
    Originally it looked like this: IMG_4827.PNG
    Since I have the chassis from Butch Carlton's original build, Mike Gamel who had it featured in Street Rodder back in Nov 93? still has the original Duvall W/S and tub body and it now looks like this: IMG_1858.JPG
    I hope this info helps, looks like its going to be a traditional build.
    CK

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    falcongeorge likes this.
  4. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Here is what I ended up doing for the firewall. Very small amount trimmed away from the centre and you can't really even tell from the engine side.
    [​IMG]
    The passenger side head is approximately 1/4" from the firewall. I could probably move it closer, but I didn't want it to hit with engine torque etc.
    [​IMG]
    This is how much fan clearance I have at the bottom. Kinda hard to see in this pic, but it's about 3/4" at the bottom, double that at the top
    [​IMG]
    And this is what it looks like from the engine side. You can't even really tell it's been trimmed.
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure how I would have done it without trimming the little bit away from the bottom, other than to lower the motor down more in the chassis. Which I didn't want to do since I wanted to keep the oil pan ground clearance as much as I could. I think this is a pretty good compromise considering the firewall is Henry.

Excuse the wood block, the engine is just sitting on the old mounts while I make new mounts for the Hurst saddle at the front.

Cyclone Kevin and falcongeorge like this.
  5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I think you have done it best you can. I agree with you on the oil pan clearance, I have been keeping the same thought in mind. With my A firewall I have to be a little more aware of location because of the dizzy clearance. I am going to trim basically the same spot you have to clear the tranny. Are you going to make your own motor mounts or order something?

6. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I'm going to make my own. I actually found a pair of hurst mounts for 28-32 frames for use with the hurst saddle mount on eBay that were new in the box from the '60's. But they were $100 which I thought was outrageous. I have one side all cut out from plate steel, working on the other side now and then just have to weld them all up and weld them to the frame.

7. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I'm going to make my own too. Have google imaged a few different designs so have a pretty good idea of what I want.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nice ending...the firewall on a Deuce is the first wall in a Barn Raising.
    Both my '32s started with the frame, front and rear suspension on 'mock up' wheels, and the firewall. Flathead fit easier than the SBC, but the Chevy had a bulky McBar adapter.

That was eons ago, when we used to replace 59As with 265s!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny stuff:D. Years ago, I went into a Lordco looking for David Vizards book. How to Build Horsepower Vol. 2 Carburators and Intake manifolds, he had mentioned in another book that it had his info on modifying the Team G in there. I figured "hey its a book, how can they fuck that up?" The pimply faced little shit behind the counter said " you dont need that book, I can tell you everything you need to know about small-block chevies". It was hard to keep a straight face while leaving...
    Then there was the time I tried to order Holley power valves plugs from the Maple Ridge branch. I go in there and tell them "I need two Holley #26-36"
    Mark: "What are those?" Me:" I just gave you the number, it doesnt matter what they are, you just call Dix, and tell them you need two holley #26-36, they'll put them on the next truck out" Mark: "I need to know what they are, in case you gave me the wrong number." Me: "its not the wrong number. They are Holley power valve plugs, just order the goddam number I just gave you!" Mark: "Ive never heard of them, theres no such thing." Me , losing it: "ORDER TWO OF THE NUMBER I JUST GAVE YOU! I'LL BE IN FOR THEM TOMORROW AFTERNOON!"
    Next morning about 11 AM I get a phone call, real quiet "Uh George? Your power valve plugs are here...":rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Deucedreamer likes this.
  10. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Yep...it's hard to find a good parts guy nowadays...now if you don't have a part number they can cross reference, they look at you like you're speaking a different language.

The maple ridge Lordco is probably the worst place. I think they start everyone there and then send them out to the other stores if they're good enough. And keep the ones who aren't.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

You did a great job with the firewall dilemma. It looks great! The trans, Is it a 700R4 or a 200R4? The TH-350 and the 200R4 share the same dimensions size wise. My mount on the OHV32 is part original K-Member on the top side and the lower part where the mount is a rectangular tube that goes rail to rail with a drop in the center. IDK who altered it, but it has been moved back for use with a TH-400 and perhaps other as this chassis had a Cad in it as well.

Its funny, thought about you lowering the engine just a smidge to clear the lower edge, but you solved it. Thanks for the pix.

Deucedreamer likes this.
  12. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

The tranny is a 700R4. It's all been rebuilt and is fresh. We also have a Corvette hi-stall converter for it too.
    Thanks the comments. :)

13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

You're welcome, I thought that it might be a 700R4., That's a great choice.

14. Looks like you made a great choice....

15. Is the firewall welded or bolted in?

16. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Bolted in the original locations