Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs stromberg 97 carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frankie50ford, Mar 17, 2016.

1. frankie50ford

frankie50ford

i have a 1950 ford flathead and i want to know which jets do i use on a 3x2 setup,it has an isky 88 cam bored .40 over msd ign. and its relieved.

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of what I read said to use 0.45 main jets, and #65 power valve on the middle carb, and 0.43 main jets with #69 power valves on the two end carbs. Big discussions as to if you remove the choke plates on the two end carbs or not. Some of what I read said they actually run better with the plates in. I am building mine with a 4 inch crank, 1/8" over bore, mild cam, Offy heads, a Bubbas distributor, and 3 97's on an Offy intake, and I will probably have to spend some time tuning this setup to get it to work correctly with what I have. Oh, and make sure you are not running more than 3 1/2 lbs pressure to the carbs. Seems they don't like more than that and leak.

3. Frankie,
    Also very important to check the end carb bases for shaft wear and the air butterflies for TIGHT fitments!!!!!! Any air leakage there will drive you crazy!!!!! It is easy to ream the bases for new brass bushings and new shafts. I have a connection for those new parts for the carbs. He even makes the new bases already done and ready to bolt on. Also he makes the linkages. He handles NICE heavy scooped and plated air horn (air cleaners). The small scoops use to seeing on the old magazines. He is not cheap but he is not high either!!!!! Your jet sizes will depend on your elevation where you drive and gearing. Check your plugs after you get driving at speed. It is a process of elimination (working out the bugs). I know you do not want to have to do that.... BUT.... it always happens. Air cleaners will also depend upon your area where you drive your car. Scoops are great looking but do not stop sand damage. Even with the screen inserts.
    Good luck!!

4. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep it simple... Use straight linkage.
    It requires a little dancing around with the mixture and idle screws, but once set, you'll love it.
    Most rascally flatheads are happy with .043's with a 67 pv in the middle and 69 pv's in the two outboards.
    You will pick up 2 or 3 horsepower leaving the chokeplates in, like God intended.
    Scoops should face rear. Strombergs like to gather air from a non-turbulent source.