Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Good score today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56sedandelivery, Mar 18, 2016.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's taken a while, but today I finally took delivery of a 1957 Chevrolet 265 BLOCK. This is the ONLY 265 that has a starter motor pad on the block; the 55-56 265's did not, and required an aftermarket starter motor adapter ring in order to use a more modern automatic transmission, like a TH-350. Blame that fact on the optional Turboglide transmission that became available in 57; although it was not used with the 265, the blocks still have the pad. These 57 blocks used the same casting number, and could be bored to 265 or 283 specs. So, my Psuedo-Junior Stocker engine build is back, dual quad, 225 HP version, and I can use an aluminum Powerglide behind it, but probably with some form of mid-plate due to the block only having front mounting. Just great, another project. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

mad mikey likes this.
  2. frazzledsmythy

frazzledsmythy

I've got a brand new set of 265 rings and pistons for .030 bore if you want them you can have them. I've had the damn things for 20 years now. An early lesson in how to get suckered at the swap meet! Seriously you pay shipping and you can have them. Still in the box.

TagMan, kidcampbell71 and belair like this.
  3. belair

belair

Cool. And good for you, frazzledsmythy.

4. saltracer219

saltracer219

I know where there is another one of those blocks.......

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You're doing one of my free offers for stuff by having only to pay shipping. Thanks, but I already have a set of NOS, TRW, forged, flat top with 4 valve relief, pistons. I've also got the rings. Maybe someone else can use the parts from your offer. I could use a GOOD 265 crankshaft however, the one the guy gave me with the block (separately) is a bit rusty, and I'm not sure it will all come off in the molasses bath. I'll try that first, then have it checked out/machined. Thanks again. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You should snatch it up; they're not making them anymore. I think most guys just replaced their 265's with 283/327's when they wore out. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. saltracer219

saltracer219

The block belonged to me and at one time I was going to use it for a Bonneville 258 c.i. engine project but we ended up going another direction. A good buddy of mine has it now, I believe it would be available. I have a std.std early 283 crank core. It has some light rust etching in the rear seal area, if it is something you are interested in let me know, were not that far away, G........ P.M. me and Ill send my phone number.