Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Mercury Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by redoxide, Feb 26, 2016.

1. redoxide

redoxide

Always fancied having a go at something like the Austin, James D is pretty hot on the photo shop, That's a cool rendering.. But those old Austins are getting pricey and just about as rusty as the mercury LOL.. I think the Merc was cheeper. !! Did you go to view it? I watched it for days on ebay .. At the buy it now it was a cheep car.. just had to hit the button after days and days of deliberation... I do wonder what I have let myself in for.
    There is no physical progress on the car just now as I have a few other loose ends to tie up, then retired last month and the first thing the wife declared was that she wanted a new kitchen, so the stress has been channeled in that direction for the past few months ... Hoping to make a start in the summer, still doing some planning and research for this one...Managed to collect some of the parts the rest is down to fabrication. To make anything of it I have to focus and not get as side tracked with other folks stuff like I allowed myself to get over the past few years ... :( Focus Focus Focus ... :)

2. redoxide

redoxide

Yep were going to have to have a European merc reunion :)

3. redoxide

redoxide

Things wont be moving very fast to begin with so be patient :) Just sold a VW van and cleared out some other junk, the Merc should be in its garage space by the summer and hopefully work will start then.. I was doing stuff for other folk and trying to keep my interest in restoring a VW camper for myself, That one is nearly done so looking forward to having some days out in that and enjoying the mercury build, I'm not planning for anything fancy, Hope not to get hung up on shiny paint and lots of detail, just hoping to put together a tidy car ... :) and keep it going as a work in progress..

4. It's your ability to create something where there was nothing that interests me. Take as long as you need.. It's not a race

Wouldn't your wife accept a metal crafted kitchen, she'd never know the difference between a car panel and a kitchen cupboard if she caught you in the garage

5. redoxide

redoxide

nearly on target, got the chassis blasted and its now rolling with the 50 merc flatty installed. need to lengthennthe torque tube to suit the merc chassis, its got a 40 Ford rear end installed as I didnt get the merc rear when I bought the project. Plan to get it in the garage next week with the body dropped on to see whare were at and get a start point ..

James D likes this.