Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Howells sheet metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28av8, Mar 18, 2016.

1. 28av8

28av8

What is this companies deal? I made an order with them 3 weeks ago and they said my parts would be there in 4 days. They never showed up so I called a million times saying I want to cancel the order. Now I noticed they just charged my account. Maybe I'm over simplifying things, but this doesn't sound that difficult to me. You offer parts for sale, if you don't have them in stock, let the customer know when they make the order. Why are all of these parts places ok with having a bad reputation.

bobj49f2 likes this.
  2. Don't sweat it just call your credit card and deny the charge and be done with them.

slack likes this.
  3. 333tinman

333tinman
    from MASS.

I waited 10 months . check posts on here.

4. 117harv

117harv

^^^ There must be two dozen threads here about this subject, a scant few have had a problem free transaction.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016

5. flatford39

flatford39

Like beaner said...call your credit card company and file a dispute. I have done this with American Express and you get 100% credit if they don't ship. Just don't let it go to long without notifying them. American Express will do an investigation that takes a couple of weeks.

6. I don't use Amex but I don't have a card in my wallet that I can't get almost instant gratification.

7. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

I live close to them and I am not sure wha the deal is. The best luck I have had is dropping by when I am ready to get parts. then I carry out what I need I know this is not practical for everyone. I know they will be at Pate in May if that will help.Larry

8. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

ive encountered the same problem...horrible company

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Did you purchase through their website or ebay? If it was ebay, you'll probably have to open a claim with ebay/PayPal.

10. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Bought from them and never had a problem but think they need more help in the shop.

11. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I recently Received my order of 2 fenders and a gas tank cover, Ryan sent the wrong cover after a ton of phone calls trying to talk to him (they will not callback so you have you have to keep trying or use a different phone number to call from). I finally got hold of him and he apologized for his mistake and would send me the right one and I could send the old one back with the same return company. (LOL) That was 2 months ago and I am still waiting unable to get him on the phone. I have given up which I am sure was his goal. Too bad for me that I paid with a Money Order.

I WOULD NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM HOWELLS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. 28av8

28av8

I called my credit card company and contested the charges today.

1927graham likes this.
  13. Any chance that Paul Bradley and Howell's are one and the same? Just curious.:rolleyes:

14. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

They're shit heads, I had trouble with them as well.

15. 2935ford

2935ford

I guess things have changed there since I have ordered.
    Twice between long period of time and received the items faster than other "bigger" suppliers and I live in Canada.
    To bad because their sheet metal A parts are pretty good!

16. mickeyc

mickeyc

If you think about it, there is a tremendous business
    opportunity here. These people continue to sting
    guys needing these panels. They remain in business
    simply because guys will try them hoping they may be
    able to supply what is needed. Think of the customer base an
    outfit that could produce these items with a decent quality
    and conduct business in a timely and professional manner
    could generate. As business goes it is a small market. However
    customers are willing to pay a higher price for items that are
    unique and difficult if not impossible to get elsewhere. I know I
    have paid high and will do so again for these type items.
    Just a thought.

17. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Apparently the original owners retired and sold the business to a LONG time employee "Ryan" who does not give a Shit about Customer Service or Return Business. Too bad because it was a good product. It seems he sells quite a bit
    on E-bay with a good reputation only because the customer is protected by E-Bay.

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

It's been a few years since I used any thing from them. Once they actually sent a T touring rear panel up with a friend without being paid for it. I don't know what their parts are like today but they used to be incapable of making a compound curve, the 28-29 cowl lowers looked and fit like shit. Their reputation around here has been in the toilet so long, I can't believe anyone still trys to order from them.

19. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I had the same problem. I called and got this answer. Just bend it over the bench till it fits!!! Then poured salt on it by saying "Any kind of sheet metal guy could fix that"

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

With all these problems with Howell is a good reason to use the HAMB search function prior to ordering from anyone.

Gary

117harv likes this.
  21. theyoungrodder

theyoungrodder

Spoke with Paul Bradley last week, he's full of information he can get your ear. Sounds like a good company to me tho. Told me when he started the business he was excited to go to work every day but now 30 years later (if I remember right) it drags on for him. He perked up when I told him I was 17. Wanting his 37 floor pans. I'm ordering from them anyways it's a semi cheap venture I'm hoping to be a good turnout.

22. theyoungrodder

theyoungrodder

Called Howells sheet metal today and inquired about their 37 ford running boards guy said they are getting some in two weeks which now I don't believe. They have the cheapest 5" recessed firewall on the market hope there's some change soon. I need these cheap parts.

23. 28av8

28av8

image.jpeg I finally got my parts and was pretty happy with the quality. I still needed to pie cut the lower rear corners, but they were a much better start then the ones from Snyders. Honestly, I don't care if it's going to take a month to get the parts. Just don't tell me they will be here in 4 days. Tell me they will be here in a month. I didn't end up using the curved inner trunk panel I received from them, but it was also very nice quality and was coated in something to keep it from rusting. I'll probably order more parts from them in the future with the expectation of them taking forever to show up.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like socks on a chicken. I'd shove that part as far up his ass as it would go. Settling for that shit is why these suppliers continue to sell it. I'm doing an O/T hot rod and all the "new" parts that are so cutting edge? I can't possibly tell enough of these companies to go fuck themselves loud enough. Harsh? Not even close. I wouldn't last 90 days if this shit was my business model but people just keep buying it.

25. I agree.....^^^ that piece looks and fits like shit. Not even close. Whoever made/sold that piece doesn't care if it fits or not.

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Seriously you are doing yourself a disservice by using that panel and attempting to make it work, nothing flows. The pressings are way off and the repairs will stand out and be blatantly obvious even to the untrained eye. Way too much metal finishing is required to bring it up to a satisfactory standard IMHO.

27. 28av8

28av8

I've done more with less. You won't be able to see it when it's done.

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

There is a simple solution guys. Get your Howell parts from someone like Snyders. Snyders orders 100 at a time and has an excellent reputation for delivering quickly. They also offer returns with no problems. Personally I think I can make poorly fitting panels for free so I dont buy them.

29. 28av8

28av8

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462493136.299726.jpg

These are the ones from Snyders.

30. manyolcars

manyolcars

It is made by Howells too. :) I know David Howell and speak to him often. His 1933 Ford coupe was recently stolen. The thief used an ax to chop in the door of the building and take it. Fortunately the car was found and the thief identified. The car has only minor damage to the paint. David retired and sold the business to his nephew and he brings a massive amount of patch panels, floors and metal to Pate every year. Talk to him there about these problems.:)