Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shear update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by akoutlaw, Mar 18, 2016.

1. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Last year I inquired looking for any information regarding a shear that I had acquired. Over the last 9 or so months I have been rebuilding it in my spare time & just wanted to share some pics of the finished unit. The main frame is painted, but everything else is powder coated. I cold blued the cross shafts & all the hardware & table top. I tried to find a close color match to one of original color options that was originally used back in 1941 when this was made. IMG_2627.JPG IMG_2628.JPG IMG_2629.JPG IMG_2630.JPG IMG_2631.JPG I'm quite proud of it & almost don't want to use it, but it works perfectly. I also put it on casters so it could be moved around as it weighs around 1200#. Bill

2. 32viper

32viper

That is absolutely beautiful. I love restored antique machinery. Good job.

Hnstray and akoutlaw like this.
  3. oj

oj

Nice machines need to be used and that'd be a good one to use. I really like the depth of the front 'table', I often do the measuring etc on the panel to shear right there on the front and that machine gives you plenty of space to work.

hipster and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Impressive! HRP

hipster and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. blackout78666

blackout78666

Beautiful. Now work the shit out of it! Those are useful as you can " slit" the sheet metal. Had one but had to let it go. Damn they built metalworking machinery well back in the day. Pexto, niagara,Beverly, hossfeld, who else am I forgetting. You got yourself a gem.

hipster likes this.
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Where is the cnc pendant? :D Nice job...

7. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Thank you for the replies. Most people thought I was nuts for doing this. I love old machinery, and it feels good that this came out so well. :) Bill

hipster and Hnstray like this.
  8. cretin

cretin

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nice piece made nicer.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. El Gabacho

El Gabacho

I never realized how much I used my vintage Pexto until I literally gave it away when I had to move into a much smaller shop. Beautiful rehab, and I imagine you will enjoy using the heck out of it.

hipster likes this.
  11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's a gem. Great save and I'm sure it will work better and outlast any of the off shore shears that are so commonly seen today.

12. How cool, great job!

13. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Everyone, Thank you for the responses. It's hard to believe that this was headed to the dump when I got ahold of it!

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very nice, the wheels look like a great update, moving that around and out of the way when not needed is a nice feature. Bob

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That is so much nicer than the stuff today.... Peck, Stowe, Wilcox... Pexto