Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford Hemi Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tartar_sammich, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seatex

seatex

What a beauty!

2. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

previous 37 owner and looks great.

3. 73RR

73RR

IMHO, Since you are actually planning to drive the car the IFS is a good move. Yes, plenty of folks like their buggy springs but technology has given us some worthy upgrades...;)

Inthemitten and 40FordDeluxe like this.
  4. Very well said, some of these old hot rods need to be rebuilt (traditionally), maintained and driven. If you find/buy an old hot rod that speaks of a bygone era and don't want to bring new life to it, or touch it, put it in a museum so people can look at!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    40FordDeluxe and tartar_sammich like this.
  5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not going to comment on your choices for some of the main items that create the foundation. Also, just because something "was" back in the day doesn't mean it's the law, the ONLY WAY because it was found. A high zoot Hemi in a hot rod isn't something to take lightly so you have to do what feels right for you. Keep this going. I only noticed it because our founder put it up on the blog and I'm glad he did. I'd be all over this thing with 1 5/8" tubing, minimal seat, stripped interior, blow proof bell housing, an alky fuel system...

Glad you're building instead of me. You're saving me a fortune, and possibly a marriage!! :eek: :eek:

6. My dad could probably relate to that last part!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit, those freaking rods could be used in a diesel !!!

8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That body is just about the slickest-looking '37 I have seen. Good luck no matter what frontend you choose, Bud.

tartar_sammich likes this.
  9. We've got the original owner to thank for that. When we got it it hadn't been out of the garage in decades. It was good that we got it when we did though, that shed looked like it was about to come down!

10. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Awesome 37 with a bad azz engine! I have a 40 I'm putting a 354 in. No one likes it's ifs either on here. Oh well, it's what it had, and had it since the 80's. I look forward to your build. You'll more than likely make more progress on yours than I will on mine in the next month or so. Keep at it!

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Disc brakes and rack and pinion steering?

12. Yes to both. Already have Wilwood rotors and calipers but no steering yet.

13. ... And modern EFI (for reliability) ... and Cruise Control and A/C (for comfort) and Front & Side Air Bags (for safety) ... etc.., etc. :D

While I have absolutely no issue with installing MII IFS in a fat fendered Hot Rod ... IMHO, they don't belong on any pre-1941 Hot Rod (with or without fenders) ... A straight axle with split wishbones (or even a 4-bar or Moal torsion bar setup) is ever bit as safe and street-able as a MII setup.

@tartar_sammich -

Please reconsider the MII IFS ... I think you'll be much happier with YOUR car with a more "traditional" front suspension.

Heck, even @Ryan saw the "error of his ways" and had Keith Tardel rip the MII out of his '36 Coupe in favor of a more traditional front suspension.

Other than that, I really dig YOUR build ... Long live the early HEMI !!!!

14. Hahaha nope it's a Holley and open windows for us! Among other reasons, we're using the IFS for its power steering (God y'all probably hate that too )capabilities as well as the adjustability. If this was a different car without fenders, I'd use a straight axle because they look great on those types of cars. At least people don't hate Hemis!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  15. Apache_58

Apache_58

Exactly. You could call me new-school, but what do you expect from a 17 year old... The way I see it is, hot-rodders in the 50's used whatever they had to go as fast as they could as cheap as possible, at the time, a Flathead was the fastest, cheapest thing out there, but times change. When the technology is there, why wouldn't you use it? If an LS Swap, IFS, Rack and Pinion and Radials allow you to comfortably drive the wheels off of your vehicle, then do it. Any resto-mod that is actually driven is better than a traditional car that gets driven 500 miles a year. Just my .02c

Sorry for ranting on your thread @tartar_sammich Good luck with the build. Its gonna be sick!

16. Traditional build only, not all that other stuff!!

Cyclone_racer likes this.
  17. I love this car.

18. Cit. from Guidelines: The Traditional Hot Rod Forum
    "The Traditional Hot Rod forum is reserved for threads and posts pertaining to period correct hot rods only."

19. No one's making you look at it.

73RR likes this.
  20. I'm with Highlander. Build it and keep us updated. I find this place can be long on commentary and short on action at times (no offense intended toward anyone) I also find that the hobby needs to be safe so it can continue to be enjoyed. I look at it this way, the best way to know if you're building something cool is for it to be contoversial on public forum. Rock on, dude! I love this coupe!

21. Apache_58

Apache_58

Whatever you say old man :)

1927graham likes this.
  22. 73RR

73RR

I'm going to suggest that we all get back to the basics of the original post and enjoy the rebuild. For those that don't like the direction the youngster is going you should delete your existing posts so that you don't get an alert and then go about your business.

...Ryan didn't seem to have an issue...

23. Almost as much as you miss old suspensions? I miss my build thread, can I please have it back?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  24. Sounds like this thread has gone from a build thread to a pissing contest!!!

25. I get that but this mess has been going on for far too long. There's probably two full pages of argument in this thread and that needs to stop. From now on if anyone has a problem, keep it to yourself or PM me and we'll settle it, but not here.

Inthemitten and Petejoe like this.
  26. Unfortunately

27. racer_dave

racer_dave

I'm subscribing- cool car. Build it your way, have fun, post what you like and be happy.

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes since the inception of the strictly traditional forum. This type of banter has become a real negative to anyone who wants to post a traditionally inspired build. Historical or not I feel if the thread is posted in the general category then the traditional arguments should be kept at bay. It will kill this forum if this banter goes on. I was against the new forum organization for this reason. No one will post builds anymore. Sorry tartar I just hope this post will stop the negativity. Time to police ourselves as we always have when needed.

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas... opinions are fine... this is a forum and as such, opinions should be expected. Mine?

From the pictures, blowing the car apart was not something I would have done.... and disc brakes? Ouch. IFS? That's just a mistake...

But you know what? You gotta be able to give an opinion without bagging on someone else's... ya know?

In any case, let the build play out!

Stu D Baker, Petejoe and 1927graham like this.
  30. I respect your opinion, but it differs from mine so it must be wrong

missmuriel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.