Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford Hemi Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tartar_sammich, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It was never finished and it actually needs a good amount of work. The body is the only thing on it he didn't cut up or modify, aside from the firewall and floor pans.

2. mickeyc

mickeyc

Get a copy of Ron Ceridonos (spelling?) Chrysler Hemi book
    I got one from Amazon for a fraction of the retail cost.
    It contains a wealth of hemi information, I think you
    may find helpful. I have 4 vintage hemis and a 40 Ford
    coupe I am preparing to receive a 392. My motor is also
    a former race motor with a roller and a 6x2 set up.
    I hope you keep this build posted I could use the
    example!

40FordDeluxe and tartar_sammich like this.
  3. Funny you mention the book, I asked dad about it a couple days ago. We've never done a Hemi, and we need any information we can find. Our projects are pretty similar which is really cool! Pics if you got em!

4. Some odd flywheel bolts... Anyone know what the heck these are? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457895706.871719.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  5. We got them out, there were nuts on the other side.

6. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

7. So please prove me wrong, pretty please.

You've taken a car that certainly looked nearly complete.
    An old build with time capsule storage bragging rights, the survivor hot rod. The holy grail of what this site is all about.
    With Bunches and bunches of cool old parts that we scrounge for.
    You completely blow the car apart.
    Cut the car to get the engine out.
    Plan on cutting off good stuff and installing a bunch of late model crap aftermarket junk.

But you don't think to look for nuts on the back crank shaft.

Again please prove me wrong for thinking this car is doomed.
    I want to feel horrible for doubting the out come of this car, but it's all up to you guys.
    They come apart quick, they go together slowly and pricy

Did you ever figure out what went wrong with your 390-401 FE engine rebuild?

8. First off, this car was NOWHERE near complete. If you had seen this car in person and thought for one second about driving it I'd call you a fool. The only thing we cut to get the engine out was the only piece of firewall that had not been cut by the man who originally built it. Something we will have to replace to fit the engine. The car still has an open diff for Gods sake, and you wonder why we thought to take it apart and check things out! This car would not have survived a single pass on the strip and would be downright dangerous to drive in its current state. The car looks good in pictures, but it needs a lot of work. You're right, we didn't check for nuts on the crankshaft because we didn't know that was something that was done. Don't feel bad for doubting us because in the end the car will get done and it'll be done to our specifications. Appreciate the concern, the 401 is fine.

9. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I guess I was trying to make the same point 31vicki was with my initial post, but trying not to come off sounding like a dick.......I guess the damage is done now - might as well put a SBC/700R4 in it.....The thread that comes to mind, that i hoped this would follow, was the "under the tin between the buicks cabrio" that car was never finished and far rougher but was put back together "in the spirit" of the original build.......a couple of observations based on some of the OPs posts......using the aftermarket suspension "because he has it"......this is NEVER a good idea - using somthing that doesnt "fit" a build just because you have it is foolish....sell it and get what you need! also, many drag cars ran open diffs "back in the day" Alright.....i'll say it (more direct this time) your fucking that car up! Its like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa....

10. Using it "because we have it" is not why we are using it. We're using it because we bought it to use on the car. They make new components for a reason. We are trying to preserve want we want/can but not while sacrificing safety or practicality. I posted this thread for enjoyment, not argument.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    B Bay Barn and AHotRod like this.
  11. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I dont want to argue either - Its yours to do as you wish - just keep in mind, this is a '64 and earlier website (model year and modifications), while things like the choice of transmission are routinely overlooked, IFS and other non period mods aren't generally well accepted......and most of us hate watching history destroyed (no matter how crude it was).....I'll go away now....

Moriarity likes this.
  12. Great project, like it a lot

13. I understand the sentiment. I really do. However I do not appreciate people coming on to the thread and telling me I am f***ing up the car. I hope you change your mind by the time we are done. Thanks.

TagMan likes this.
  14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

As long as you build it safe and dependable with traditional looks most of us will be happy while watching the build and enjoy results. Remember you can't please everybody......

kiwijeff and tartar_sammich like this.
  15. mickeyc

mickeyc

There are some pictures of the coupe and the 392 on my hamb. page albums.

tartar_sammich likes this.
  16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's your car..do it your way.....go fast....

17. Great looking car!

18. First look at the pistons!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458008401.280019.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458008412.199496.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    kiwijeff likes this.
  19. 73RR

73RR

Pistons look to be forgings in the 11:1 range, common back in the day. You will need to compute the actual c/r at some point so do a down-fill check while the pistons are still in the block.
    If you have plans to drive this on the street then send the cam off to someone with a CamDoctor (or similar) and find out what the profile is. Who knows, it might be usable.
    Yes, there has been port work and doesn't look too bad.
    The flywheel nuts/bolts are the factory issued parts for stock flywheels. The clipped head sat against a shoulder in the flywheel so that the bolt would not turn with the nut. There are multiple options for bolts.

You get some atta-boy points for disassembling the engine instead of just trying to fire it after all these years.
    You need to know what is in there so you can make an informed decision whether or not 'something' can be re-used or if the years have put some brown-death in a critical spot. Valve springs do not like to sit in one position for 40 years!

Gary

Inthemitten and tartar_sammich like this.
  20. You're correct about the pistons being 11:1. We'd have been sick if we tried to start this thing. Glad we didn't. We found a parts list he made back when he built it, thought y'all might find it interesting. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458000872.838503.jpg

40FordDeluxe and kiwijeff like this.
  21. Meant to post this earlier. Hildebrandt adapter for the Packard trans. Anyone know anything about it?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458007118.770383.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458007208.098150.jpg

22. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458072764.873757.jpg

I've never seen Hemi heads before. Really cool. The valves are stock size, something we may or may not change. We recently found out the motor was bored to 354, so it was originally a '55 331. The casting number on the heads is 155615-7.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This car is rad, rad, rad...

1927graham likes this.
  24. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Awesome car!

25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

26. KUDOS, on this project, you are doing this build exactly the way I would, tear this machine apart and find out what you have then do a fresh build using all the old parts that you can, the car deserves no less!! I'm following.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    tartar_sammich likes this.
  27. Bummer

WiredSpider likes this.
  28. Apache_58

Apache_58

Saying that you don't want to come off as a dick, doesn't negate the fact that you're being a dick... Its his build, with his money, and his time. I don't understand why everyone has to be so goddamn opinionated and close-minded on the Hamb.

29. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I acknowledged several times it was his to do as he pleases......As far a being close minded on the HAMB - get a frickin' clue - read up on what this site is about......if you dont like it give yellow bullet a try - Again, sorry to the OP - FWIW I really dig the car, I get you want to use it on the street, I guess I should have taken that into account before I initially posted...

kiwijeff and Atwater Mike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.