Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rust Ranch!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_DropOut, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

2. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Thanks 55 Dude!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

It's been a while since my last update on this thread.
    Here are some photos of the new set of all chrome wheels I picked up at the Portland Swapmeet.

Also I purchased a Top Loader which is actually a 3 speed w/ overdrive.

Once I put this pretty paint on my Ranch and got chrome wheels I realized that my aluminum trim was looking pretty bad. I tried to polish it, but found that I was not able to polish anything.

I soon learned that my aluminum was anodized. So once I learned how to remove anodizing I proceeded to de-anodize all my aluminum trim.

First I tried oven cleaner. But anyplace there was an air bubble the cleaner did not remove the anodizing. So dipping the a mix of Caustic Soda (3 table spoons / gallon of COLD water. WEAR HEAVY RUBBER GLOVES, AND EYE PROTECTION. This stuff is no joke!!! )

Once the solution starts going, very fine bubbles will begin to roll off the metal.

It took about 1/2 hour for my headlight bezel and taillight buckets. My grill took about 2 hours in all.

Once pulled from the solution the aluminum looked dull.

A good way to discover if you have actually removed the anodizing is to take some very fine wet sand paper. Rub it in an place that wont be obvious. If you rub and rub and nothing happens, then the anodizing is STILL on your metal. However, if you rub and soon get dark black sanding you'll know you are sanding aluminum.

Each of my de-anodized parts I wet sanded with very fine grit paper. Then I polished. I polished the aluminum with a cotton pad on my bench grinder. I used Mag wheel cleaner. I found that putting it on wet and buffing it off while it was wet, produced the best results. So I would only put on a dab, polish and then repeat. It is a long process, but I got some near mirror finish results.

I also had to repaint all the back on my grill and in my taillight buckets. I used John Deere Blitz Black. That paint kicks A$$.

Final update, I painted my cars Talisman on the fenders and tailgate. I designed this Tiki dude many years ago, and my car has always been known as Tiki. The reason it is known as Tiki, is because I've always known it as The Cursed Tiki.

So the following images were taken while I hand painted my tiki's on my Ranch.

Soon I'll be pinstriping my scallops.

Wide white tires are on their way.

Once I get my wheels I'll take the Ranch out for a drive and get some quality photos of my car with some interesting back drops.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Jet96 likes this.
  4. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

5. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I forgot to add that the motor is running like a top!!!

6. Wow, the wheels and tires really bring your paint work to life.
    Very cool.

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That truck turned out really nice! You should be proud!

8. Congrats! Looking nice!!

9. von zipper

von zipper

10. Simply gorgeous......

11. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve

I know this tread is a couple of years old now. Is there a gallery somewhere with all the photos of this build? Alot of the images are no longer linked, or 3rd party Photobucket blocked.