Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. any loud noises yet?

tylercrawford likes this.
  2. Noises coming soon! Was setting the distributor position because of the mechanical tach cables it needs to be clocked a certain way.
    Its a new build so, why not emery cloth the copper posts in the mag? Did that and tried to find where #1 was sparking - what a mess - the #1 would fire 3 times per rev and some others would not fire at all :confused: Opened the cap back up - looks ok - not dirty really - flushed it out with electronic cleaner. Then wiped dielectric grease inside the cap on everything except the copper posts. Fixed! :) That would have been a tough one to find at the track.

Might fire this off today - going to be 83 degrees here!
    [​IMG]

3. Looking good man! Can't wait to hear that thing fire!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  4. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Looks great T-Dog!!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  5. exterminator

exterminator

Hemiiiiiiii:)

Dog_Patch likes this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Ya think maybe the copper dust from using emory cloth on cap posts was shorting stuff out?

30dodgeboy likes this.
  7. Can't wait to see this thing at Greer!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  8. That's my best guess DOM. It ran fin on my distributor tester and the only think I did after that was sand the posts.

Cabbage is coming over tonight to help with the test fire :)

9. captmullette

captmullette

looking good, gonna be fast........hope that's not a fram filter....

10. Yes sir its a FRAM - but not the crappy ones at the auto parts store - these are $14 bucks.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/frm-hp1
    I opened the mains on last year's engine and even the thrust bearing was fine - that poor engine was rode hard. o_O

11. FRAM backwards is MARF... Just sayin.

kiwijeff, sonic03bluegt and PBRmeASAP like this.
  12. Sorry, but all FRAM filters are crap. Even if it cost $100. Cut one open and then cut open a WIX of the same application. The WIX Racing version of that FRAM HP-1 is a 51515R. It will become obvious the difference in quality. I wouldn't put a FRAM on anything.

OahuEli, loudbang and 30dodgeboy like this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Fram's off the shelf regular filters are junk, but their racing filters are supposed to be better, but I've never seen one cut open, just the regular ones.
    So I just use either a Wix Gold or Amsoil.

OahuEli likes this.
  14. I started using the K&N filters about two years ago, also around 14 bucks.

loudbang likes this.
  15. captmullette

captmullette

didn't know about that one, saw a youtube on oil filters and they cut open several brands, the napa silver and gold, really wix, was as good as k&n and at half the price, ill check the fram out

16. Damn the rain - Paradise Drags was cancelled today so spent some time reading up on filters - FRAM is not loved anywhere o_O
    http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420509

Got the engine started the other day and planned to do more tuning at the track. Now I might just tow over to Joe's and try to bend up a proper trans tunnel :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

17. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

My Carquest guy says the Fram filter is about the worst out there. He said he would use there generic brand all day over the Fram.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  18. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Orange can of death , I'd leave it on for engine break in than throw it away. Change oil and put something else on. I use the Napa gold.

19. NAPA Gold are made by WIX. Same filter, just different packaging.

Sent from my SM-G900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

OahuEli and captmullette like this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have see all kinds of filters on all kinds of car with a ton of miles.
    If I was thinking a filter was going to save my ass I would be looking at something like a system one or orburg(spelling)

loudbang likes this.
  21. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Good to see Q-n-d is getting better all the time Tony
    Be good to see some video of the new engine running

Sent from my SM-T805 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dog_Patch likes this.
  22. Legendlives

Legendlives

I've just spent the afternoon reading this entire thread.
    Great work, great comments.
    Looking forward to seeing the new engine run!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  23. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Didn't see this until now, got to be at road atlanta until early afternoon today,

captmullette likes this.
  24. Ok I'll see you after the Sunday beer sales delay is over. Think that's right after church lets out :rolleyes:

loudbang and captmullette like this.
  25. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Sorry, Got tied up at the track and didn't get back until after 5

26. No worries Joe - found out the brake controller on the Sedan Delivery took a dump - made for a scary ride and bailed out on the trip. Messed with the magneto again, it needs re-clocked to get the tach cables to work, so the magneto is back out again. The injection is real rich for some reason - thought a bigger cubic inch would make it lean. Need to study up on the tuning - think that short rod that goes to the distribution block adjusts the fuel at idle.

loudbang likes this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You would set the barrel valve with a leak down tester for your baseline then it should only take one or two flats on that rod.
    I seem to remember 20% leak down

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  28. Let's try this again - Joe - are you going to be around on Friday? Maybe I can bend and chop a trans tunnel before the Saturday rain date event at Paradise.

paradice_26th.jpg

29. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Yep,,, should be here,

Dog_Patch likes this.
  30. The rod to the barrel valve does control your idle mixture. I would flow it with a leak down tester to see where it is at now and then adjust it from there. I usually only turn mine 1/2 of a flat at a time and I also have it marked so I know what side I started on. You don't have to turn it much to lean it out and make sure u clear it out and let it run for a little bit before u move it more. Quain can probably give u better advice on it he's our go to guy for injection tuning and problems.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.