Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tri Power problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JWS, Apr 15, 2010.

1. rjones35

rjones35

I've still got the one end carb leaking. Its not really dripping or pouring out, its just wet around the center screw that holds the venturi booster cluster, or whatever, in. Ive lowered the float below spec, replaced the needle and seat, fuel pressure is 4, replaced the gasket under that center screw and the gasket under the cluster, readjusted the accelerator pump just in case....what am I missing?

2. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Do you have the check ball, spring, and the retaining "T" staked in the accelerator pump passage underneath the venturi cluster?

loudbang likes this.
  3. rjones35

rjones35

It does have the staked check ball. And the accelerator pump appears to squirt like the other carbs.

4. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Got me stumped. Do you have the gasket washer on the center bolt for the cluster? And the cluster gasket is ok?

5. rjones35

rjones35

I replaced both the one under the screw and the one under the cluster. The only difference between this end and the other end is the power piston vent valve thing. This one still has it, the other end doesn't. But I didn't think that really has any thing to do with anything, especially since the power valves are gone. Its not leaking a lot, I suppose I could just leave it alone and see what happens.

6. rjones35

rjones35

Okay so the one carb still leaks a little, but I think I figured out the other problems!! Evidently, I had the firing order backwards or messed up or something. Then I tried the 289/302 firing order, because I assumed thats what it was supposed to be. Ran bad. I tried the 302HO firing order. Fired right up and sounded better than it ever has! I can't believe that it ran at all before. Hopefully I'll take it for a spin tomorrow. I'm hopeful that it will do great. No popping or backfiring!!

63 running better!:

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  7. BigChief

BigChief

....well that'll do it! Congrats on t he find.....hopefully you have everything on the right track now.

rjones35 likes this.
  8. Nice! I like the say no to drugs sticker too!

rjones35 likes this.
  9. rjones35

rjones35

Thanks!!! What a relief!

10. rjones35

rjones35

Haha! Thanks!! Me too!

11. Dimadee

Dimadee

Any updates on how things turned out?

12. rjones35

rjones35

Hi! Turned out good. After a lot more messing around with the center carb mixture screws, then drilling out all six jets, resetting the floats a few different times, it runs and idles great!! No problems at all now.

Now I guess I should concentrate on the rest of the car, but I'm having fun driving it!!

loudbang likes this.
  13. Dimadee

Dimadee

Glad to hear it. My engine won't idle below 1000rpm and I suspect a lot of it is down to the carbs. I am just starting on my journey!

14. rjones35

rjones35

Changing the baseplates made a huge difference on mine. After that it was just tuning like normal, only on three carbs.

15. Dimadee

Dimadee

Good to know. I bought my carbs from Dicks hot Rod Carbs, but the bases are not new. First time I fuelled up the system the fuel lines leaked and the seals in the fuel filter went soft and leaked.....not a good start. I pulled off the 'custom' fuel filter and had to really tighten the fuel lines to stop them leaking. I hope to have a play with them once I have the new exhaust system on the car.

16. rjones35

rjones35

Sounds like you are off to a good start!! Leaks are no good. I replaced the factory carb inlet fittings so I can use AN fittings. So far so good with those, and I've had them all on and off a lot.