Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 4dr Fleetline budget build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Habitual, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Habitual

Habitual

Ok so after building the T-bucket in 09 and driving more than 80,000 miles on it we decided to have a full body car. Found this beauty for dirt cheap so here we go. Set a budget to match the T-bucket build at $5,500 max. Atleast this is a complete car. May leave some of the patina but will replace complete drive train and front suspension. Cleaning up I was able to see what needs replacing.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The original oil bath breather
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] after removing ugly door panels i did a little sanding and paint
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Floors appear good with minor repairs needed. After gutting out the trash and vacuuming up the dirt and stuff the old lady is starting to like it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Nice. Love the fleetlines. Nice start with floors that solid.

Habitual likes this.
  3. Habitual likes this.
  4. JimboSlice423

JimboSlice423
    from Ohio

Can't wait to see this!

Habitual likes this.

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Second the above regarding the front suspension. These cars are already IFS, and a pretty good one to boot if all the bushings and joints are in good shape.

I'll be watching regardless, been thinking about doing the same low-budget-build for the wife's desired cruiser.

Habitual likes this.
  6. Habitual

Habitual

After this build i will be blowing apart the bucket to lower a 46 truck cab to make her a truck. Its a "you build your car then build my truck" deal. Lol

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  7. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Good start, I will keep watching.

Habitual likes this.
  8. And since your on a tight budget, if you keep the stock front suspension, source a set of 51 to 54 front brakes. Easy to find and always cheap. Check. Out muscle car brakes
    http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/
    They offer complete drum rebuild kits starting with the 51drums. Very high quality with every piece inside the drum. heavy springs and the best shoes I have used. Stops as good disks. Used there kits on several cars and is cheaper than sourceing all the bits separate.

Habitual likes this.
  9. Oh and subscribed!!

Habitual likes this.
  10. I like it. Minimal body repairs, pretty complete. Just add ingredients, and stir! Errr, drive.

Habitual likes this.
  11. That, my friend, is a great score. Really solid looking, and the paint and bodywork is already done! The Fleetlines are one of my favorite cars. Being a Multi-Door doesn't diminish the Cool Factor at all on the Fleetlines.

Habitual likes this.
  12. Habitual

Habitual

I will be parting the items i will no longer need. I am going to try and keep as much of the cool factor as possible. I wanted a 4 door for the family and friends to ride.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  13. toml24

toml24

My mom had a 1949 2-door Fleetline Deluxe painted Monaco Blue.
    1949 chevy fleetline deluxe.jpg

slv63, MyCrustyVW and Habitual like this.
  14. Habitual

Habitual

My mom has a picture of my grandfather having a 4dr. I just love the body lines and the fast back.

15. Habitual

Habitual

I looked into just rebuilding the front end but after looking into cost and speaking to TJ who has a 50 Fleetline 4dr he advised as much as I drive I will be better off with new front end. He says his wanders on the roads. With that I will be considering the newer front end since we usually average minimum 10,000-15,000 miles a year at some highway speeds. Got to stay safe.

16. 'Mo

'Mo

You do know that Chevy used that same front end on Corvettes all the way through 1962, don't you?

Also, the Fleetline's sleek appearance was due in part to a shorter windshield than the Styline coupes/sedans. (Factory 'chop'.) This includes the four door.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Habitual likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

if they "wander" that is usually because of the center mounted idler arm. there used to be a rebuild kit for them with an adjustment bolt to tighten it up. keep in mind that if you go ahead and put a modern ifs in your car do not post about it here as that will be off topic for the forum....

Squablow, Habitual and Nailhead Jason like this.
  18. A 30 dollar rebuild kit from The Filling Station for the center idler arm and a quick adjustment of the steering box took all the wander out of mine.

Moriarity and Habitual like this.
  19. Habitual

Habitual

Ok so far the front end total rebuild or replace is up in the air. From just looking at rebuilding the front not including brakes will run a little more than $1,000. I may look at some local part stores to see what they may have for cross reference parts that will work. I set a budget for $5,500 and i rather the car be safe and handle good than look pretty.

20. manic

manic

Any updates? Are you going to use stock front end? I'm on the fence too.