Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rusty Crusty 283 Build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old wolf, Feb 26, 2016.

1. I will I haven't did much to it in a couple of days.

2. slack

slack

I understand, I'm just requesting pics for the electrolysis set up and when you sand the deck, stuff like that when you get to it. Thanks Wolf.

3. My puter hasnt been working good enough to log on the past few days. I ve got all the pistons and the crank out of the block. I will probably go to the feed store and get some powdered molassis for the electrolisis vat sometime in the next week. Supposed to rain tomorrow so going to George Rays aint gonna happen. The wife will be at work. So Im going to boil the pistons & rods in soapy water. Put them in a coffee can with water and dish liquid on the kitchen stove. Hopefully that will free up the pressed in the wrist pins there stiff in the pistons. Of course she will find out. But its better to ask for forgivness than ask for permission.

kidcampbell71 and slack like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey wolf, you know what I do?
    If I know I've been bad, I'll clean the toilet and all is better.

slack and hipster like this.
  5. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I have my own Crock Pot for cooking small parts like that. Saves a lot of aggravation.

Gary

Johnboy34 likes this.
  6. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

So if you soak the piston in hot soapy water it may free up? never hear of that approach, will it usually work?

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I look at it this way. If I am going to do something she is not going to like, and I tell her beforehand, we have two fights, one when I tell her, and another one after I have done it. If I don't say anything and just go ahead and do it, then there is only one fight, after she finds out about whatever it is I have done. So I have just reduced marital strife by 50%! So, really, its in her best interest if I just dont tell her! I am so thoughtful and considerate...

lewk, BradinNC, Moriarity and 5 others like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You're such a giver George:D

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  9. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:)He just keeps on giving..

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  10. Yes boiling the pistons in hot soapy water so far has always worked to loosen up the tight wrist pins and it helps free up stuck piston rings also. My wife dont like the smell. I also have a toy steam engine. And when she is gone I sometimes get it out and fire it up on a big cookie sheet at the kitchen table. She dont approve of that also. like Falcon George stated one fight or two. Ive learned to not say anything. After about 15 miniutes of tounge lashing Debbie thinks she has won? She will state what,s the matter cat got your tongue? You dont have any answer. And Im setting there telling myself (DONT SAY IT) and then I usually state when you really havent any defense and aint exactly sure what to say I was always told not to speak a single word. That usually gets me that penis shriveling look & the silent treatment for a short respite. And I never said i was sorry or wont do it again !!! And after 44 years of marrage I am still happy with the deal.

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@slack

I did a big piece on here on how to set up an electrolysis bath, look that up as it gives you everything you need to set one up. The molasses part you will have to get from old wolf.

slack likes this.
  12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Old wolf @falcongeorge

I reckon you could get a pot and a hot plate at the thrift store, problem solved.

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You mean to say come up with a compromise to make the wife happy???:eek::confused:

Gimme some time to wrap my head around that...:D

El Caballo and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. Ive got a hot plate its a really old good one made back in the day.. However My wife works with three other women and they get catty. Then she has to run the register ,answer the phone and deal with customers. And she spends all day meeting dealing with and greeting idiots and assholes with a smile and she cant growl them out. So when Debbie comes home she finds something ive done or not done to vent about for a hour. It just as well be boiling car parts or washing a automatic transmission case in the bathtub as something else. My skin is very thick I can handle anything she can dish out. One time it was winter cold freezing rain. I didnt have a shop and the 10 speed transmission went out in my semi truck. I built a tent from plastic and two by fours. and pulled the transmission out, brought it home and laid plywood on the living room floor and rebuilt it. pulled a all nighter. installed it right after getting it back together. and backed under the reefer trailer and left to deliver the load. Covered in grease & dirt. No sleep for two days and drive another ten hours to deliver. Left Debbie and the sons to clean up the mess. And she was spitting venom when I returned home ten days later. After about a hour she brought me a beer. Stated get in the tub. The kids are going to stay overnight at their friends. Its all good.

Rex_A_Lott, slack and hipster like this.
  15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I like this thread, and I love this kind of thinking!
    And I for the most part agree with what's stated above but I always wondered why it ain't traditional to run a new motor?

Because there is no end to the story's about people in the late fifty going to the local Chevy dealer and buying a 327 factory crate or to get the newest running V8 from the local junkyard.
    And in the 60s I bet it was very rare to see a SBC standing under a tree, where it has been sitting for 10-15 years.

But I applaud the depression and post WW2 era thinking towards fixing broken and only junk minimum!!

Keep to it, sir. And you make it very clear(to me) why I spend so much time here!

steinauge, leadfootloon and hipster like this.
  16. heres a few pictures. the old hotplate is a monkey ward gem. one of the pistons out of the 283 is crroded on the top. so i found another in my hoard. its been knurled you can tell by the marks on the skirts. boiling pistons 123.JPG boiling pistons 124.JPG boiling pistons 125.JPG boiling pistons 126.JPG boiling pistons 128.JPG

17. At least you used an old can instead of her mashed potatoes pot lmao.

hipster, Old wolf and falcongeorge like this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Long shot, does anyone lurking this thread have 3 decent TRW +030 L2165F forged flat-tops for a 327? I know they are available new, but they are machined in India now and have quality control issues (some with sloppy ring grooves, or pin bores not square), I prefer used ones with decent looking skirts. PM me if you do.

19. There coming along pretty good the boiling has loosened to pins up and made some of the stuck rings come free. got a couple more to boil. Gotta hurry Debbie get,s home at five thirty. She will come in and say whats that smell?!!

slack and falcongeorge like this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If we dont hear from you after 5:30, should we call for help? maybe send the cops around??:D;)

Hot Rod Nut and hipster like this.
  21. Get a lemon, cut it in half.
    Take her mashed potato pot and boil 1/2 lemon and one piston.
    Take your can and boil 1/2 lemon and one piston.
    You'll get your Pistons done 2x as fast, they will clean better and make the house smell like lemons probably with enough time to wash her pot out too.

When she asks how your day was and what's that smell tell her you saw a cooking show that explained some kinda lemon potpistonpori that you boil on the stove.

22. Thanks learn something new every day. Ive got 7 of the pistons boiled and freed up. used the wifes sewing machine oil on them afterward. the last piston is boiling. This morninf when Debbie left for work She promised to cook pork chops when she got home. I might have shit in my own hat?

El Caballo, hipster and falcongeorge like this.
  23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Loving this thread.Keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. Mamma made me some awesome pork chops last night!
    Man oh man were they good :)

One time I borrowed her hot plate out into the shop.
    She thanked me for doing that, she said she hated that thing and was glad it was gone and went on to find its replacement, A Bigger better faster unit. I said wait a min, it's just out back- I'll go get it for you. By the time I got back with it (less than 90 seconds) She had found the replacement on amazon with free shipping so I didn't have to stop what I was doing and get go it for her and saved me a few bucks too. She's awesome but plays the game well.

leadfootloon likes this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Don't ya hate it when that happens!

Wolf
    My wife is a floral designer in a SMALL shop, Mothers Day and Valentines day are absolute HELL. She has had many multiple 12 hr work days during these events, l say events because they don't get celebrated in our household (no kids).
    We are both 60 plus, so we pretty much know each others parameters. I just take an extra precaution during these holidays.
    I have my lips stitched together.

hipster likes this.
  26. Debbie is a bit late today. Likely had a customer right at 5 and had to work over to do the close out. Ive cleaned the stove and table. Took the pistons back to the shop. And opened the windows. Its 71 with a south breeze. And she will still know LOL! Debbie is a seasonal desk clerk at a state park. She works two or three days per week for 8 months of the year.

slack and hipster like this.
  27. hipster

hipster

Am really enjoying this, one of THE best posts for overall enjoyment! Please continue to update us on your progress- looking forward to the molasses adventure & results.

Sent from my SM-G900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Yep I guessed it she had a mob of customers right at closing time. Was a hour late. I had went outside and set on the porch. Fortified myself drinking a beer. And with daylight savings time she lost a hours sleep. and only griped about customers 15 minutes. Debbie is in the kitchen cooking pork chops and potatoes & black eye peas. So I didnt get caught for the moment!

29. Ive used molassis before. I just keep adding until I draw about 7 amps on the battery charger. I install a dead battery in the system for a buffer.

slack likes this.
  30. Well I got caught. I knew I would. After eating and washing the dishes. Debbie got on the puter. I laid on the couch and fell asleep. Seen where I down loaded the boiling piston,s in the pictures files. Then she read this thread. She did wake me up. The tongue lashing wasnt to severe. Got called little kid a few times. She works today also. I got to examining the pistons and several have problems. Ive got a full set of the Knurled ones. So I will boil the rest of them later today. They dont have the better rods but thats not a big priority.

falcongeorge likes this.