Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects time to build a new car for the hills

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nutrocker, Sep 22, 2012.

1. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

very impressive build, and a true craftsman! not everyone has the balls to post the bad with the good. best of luck with your transmission and engine/valve timing.

2. I love this thread...and your energy!

3. nutrocker

nutrocker

Hi Dan, It just had a stock '39 axle and I just lost drive once the wheel came up.

Pumpman, over here the plates stay with the car.

Pete

4. nutrocker

nutrocker

So with the car all up and running it was time to make the run to Pendine. It ran great! 3.20:1 gears in the back made 70mph really easy and the motor never missed a beat.
    On the sand I didn't do as well as I'd hoped but given the troubles I'd had only a few days earlier I was happy with the 97 mph I ran.
    image.jpg
    Picture by Subsculptures

image.jpg image.jpg
    Pictures by unknown, but thanks whoever you are.

Again on the way home, in the pissing rain, it ran great, with the only problem being a water pump sprang a leak just as I got home, which although a bit of a shit, it couldn't have happened in a better place.

Water pumps are an easy fix, just more money.
    Next up was Gow. Hosted by the VHRA at Prescott. This is an amazing event. We get to play on the hill all day, as many runs as you want. No helmets or race gear, can take passengers too. I'd been up the hill many times so knew it reasonably well. I fitted 4.11:1 gears in the back and went for it. Bloody hell the car was fast up the twisty track. I recorded a unofficial time of 54 seconds with the stopwatch on my cell phone, some 3 seconds faster than my previous best. I was really happy with that. So on the second run I took my daughter for a ride, but had trouble finding second gear on the steep tight left hander which kind of spoilt the run. Then, on the third run its bugger, bugger, bugger again. More problems with third to second gear saw me stopped on the track not able to find any gear. I rolled the car off into and Marshall area so as not to stop others using the track, and with the engine off I found second gear, and trundled back to the pits.
    image.jpg
    Picture by unknown, but thanks whoever you are.

With the top off the gearbox it appears my heavy handed fast changes had broken the selector plate. Good news was I had a spare, until I broke that too! So that was that for the day so retired to the bar to watch the others having fun.
    Towed the car home and made a stronger selector plate, which so far has been fine.

Pete

5. hasty

hasty

Wow! What a pleasure to find this thread. Amazing work. Thanks for sharing it.

6. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

This thread really made the last couple of days for me. What an awesome skillfully done build and a fantastic story with ups and downs. Thanks for sharing

7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

8. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Great thread, You got awesome fab skills, best of luck with the car!

9. Beautiful work! How long is the course at Pendine?

10. nutrocker

nutrocker

I think it's a half mile run up and then timed through 100 yards.

Pete

11. 110 yards Pete.... 1/16" mile.

nutrocker likes this.
  12. nutrocker

nutrocker

Cheers Phil.

13. What a great car and a great story.
    Cap doffed!

14. cretin

cretin

I just saw this thread and went through the whole thing. Great work! Looks like a blast!

15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievable work here...I second the SU carbs. I used to run them on HD Panhead motors and besides the little ticking noises they perform beautifully. Very simple and very well made carbs....I love them

16. AmishMike

AmishMike

Gotta thank Ryan for posting this - AWESOME build... Another vote for HOLY SHIT..... great BUILD. Thanks for posting all the info & videos. & I love the fact that you use the car - drive it like you stole it.

17. AmishMike

AmishMike

forgot to ask - that MG red block paint - is it designed for blocks? Any primer used? How does it hold up? great post.

18. Rand Man

Rand Man

I like the bodywork. Gotta go back and read the whole thread.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

20. v8coupe

v8coupe
    from UK

Just found this thread and flicked through - i will go back and read it properly - Its not often that a thread really grabs me but this has. I saw this at pendine but am ashamed to say i didnt really appeciate it as i should as didnt know it was built in your garage. Quality...Look forward to seeing it this year.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright I'm finally up to speed! Quick question though, did you ever get around to putting a sway bar up front? Or anti roll bar I'm not sure no which you called it.

Either way interested :)

22. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I have SU carbs on my wife's MGB and never paid attention to the angle. Is there a reason for that?