Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ben's '32 Truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 9, 2016.

1. don daddyo

don daddyo

BE AU TI FUL...my kind a truck...

2. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Great truck! I have been following Ben's work for years. His stuff is always on point.

@HOTRODPRIMER they are 32 chevy

3. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Gotta love that RHD...

4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

5. mgermca

mgermca

For those who haven't seen it...from before he became a Texan...

6. jroberts

jroberts

If this truck is not the definition of a hot rod, it comes as close as you can get. I love it! Would like a few more details on running gear, etc.

7. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the nice comments on my truck and big thanks to Ryan for the sneaky feature!
    A few people asked for some details, so here's a quick run down...
    265" (3-3/4" crank x 3-5/16" bore) 99A merc block flathead, extensive port work, partial relief, Hogan (NZ) single plug heads, SU-1A grind cam, isky 185G springs, 1.6 proflow valves, handbuilt 3 into 1 SS headers to straight 2" SS system out the back. Edelbrock 4 carb Racing manifold w. 4 x big letter 97s on straight linkage. lightened flywheel and clutch, 39 top loader trans, torque tube and '32 banjo with hotrod works push in 9" axle conversion and 3.54 gears. Lincoln 12'' Bendix brakes all round, old chrome dropped 33-36 axle, 32 steering box, original frame with handmade rear X-legs and reworked front and rear crossmembers, front X is still 32, and 32 style front engine mounts used. I got the cab and bed about ten years ago, it was mainly an old BB dept. of agriculture truck from the west coast somewhere, and Ive added panels to it as Ive found them, the sheetmetal comes off sixteen different 32s! Needless to say panel fit is a little wonky here and there. I chopped it 4 1/8" only a few weeks back, and still have body stuff and side windows to do. It will remain unpainted until i get sick of the rat rod comments.. and then ill straighten it all out and paint it, but for now it will be my daily driver and parts getter. The engine is still loosening up, and the twenty mile drive out to Ryans is the longest trip so far, its running rich and I have a full set of jets coming (down to .39s) so the slow process of jetting and tuning four 97s is next! Im going to build a narrowed Columbia for the 9"axles next, so if anyone Knows of a good Columbia core, (any year) close to Texas , let me Know! cheers, Ben .

BradinNC, cfmvw, fnjunk and 4 others like this.
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow lowsquire just wow. Bad ass through and through. I love it unpainted. The flatly sounds killer.
    Four 97's flooding oh my. Give it up until you get it broke in. Have never seen that many carbs working properly on a street flathead. What a really bad Hotrod.

9. Thanks for the photos - feature Ryan and Ben it really has come up a treat, I'm betting you get some looks when driving it around over there for both how cool it looks and also being RHD

10. Nice work dude good to see it done and rollin !!

11. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Ol' Ben knows what he's doing. Great having another hotrod runnin the streets of Austin. Great addition to the mix here in ATX. We're gonna keep him.

12. I'm in love! That truck is perfect in just about every way. Those headlight lenses are so cool!

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

can't wait to get outta this hospital to start on my 32 pickemup...love the stance on ben's...even thinkin' about keeping the fenders :eek:

14. So killer, love the stance.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Very nice! With the mean chop and those blackwalls, I vote dark colored paint; Black, Dark Green or Washington Blue.

16. Rusty

Rusty

Great truck

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Love the truck. Don't paint it!

18. What about the hood sides,I don't recall seeing them in the past.

Are they a old aftermarket piece or something that was offered in Australia? HRP

'

sodbuster likes this.
  19. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

love that PATINA look looking good - had 34 pickup sold it guy n.y. he had it for 2yrs & sold it in SWEDEN - I put 150mi. on all new un/math & the things you do - Y -did I sell It ??? that was dom - GOOD - LUCK with it - :cool::cool:

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That truck should nearly fall together. Hint stake sides Hint.

3wLarry likes this.
  21. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

the hood sides are `32 Chevrolet, have a pair that i`m going to use on my `32 ford pre war car. Ben, just wondering how much trouble it was to alter them to use on your truck. Great lookin` truck, bye the way!
    tom

22. Very nice. Hope to see it at the roundup.

23. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

yes the hoodsides are 32 chevrolet, well the centre section anyway. I really like the little potmetal teardrop handles on them. I got them off an old hotrod 32 chev in australia, the sides were too short in all directions, so i cut the louvers out of a pair of ford sides (dont worry, they werent 25 louver!) and hammer welded these in. long and slow process. Then i did the only bit of fake patina work on the truck, painted with a very thinned out coat of green, and a bit of black, over bare metal, then threw them up on the roof of my house for three months weathering. worked alright. My good mate Gareth has picked me up a set of old chrome doors for it from the big 3 swap in S.D. cant wait to try them on!

cfmvw and Hitchhiker like this.
  24. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

thanx for the info about the hood sides alteration.
    tom

25. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Love the US Forest Service emblems on the doors! I've long wanted to build something in the forest service green.

26. BLAKE

BLAKE

It's worth pointing out that this pickup sounds just as tough as it looks... which is 'very'!

390cad likes this.
  27. GaryB1

GaryB1

I love this truck! I live here in Austin, too. It's a great place to live, if you can afford it.

28. martin

martin

Well done brother, I knew I should have put a dollar on that one ! Good work mate.

29. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

30. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Awesome post. It's weird. There isn't a real way to put this into perspective, but I can't call this a hobby. I don't know what to call it. But I know this has brought me good friends, as well as my best friend. It brought him his wife from OZ. It brought Ben together with his lovely Texas gal. Intermixed within all that are not even friends but Family literally from around the world that you can count on. Bob is in WI, Alex out in NorCal, Piero, Keith, Joe, Lucky in SoCal, JJ Bubblecakes in NC, Chris in freakin Spokane, yet I get to see everyone several times a year no matter what and it really is like a family reunion to me. It's weird. Can't call it a hobby. Also can't call it a lifestyle, it sounds shallow. I don't know what to call it but there's a lot of love there and that's special. Okay Gay rant over.