Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine knock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldsmobucket, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

Been trying to diagnose this knock in my 1955 324 Oldsmobile. I think it's in the valve train. But not sure. Took the valley pan off and took a little video. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Pull the valve covers, engine idling take a '006" feeler gauge and slip it under the rocker at the valve stems, one at a time. When you quiet the TAP, (knock is anomatopoeiac) you will have located the lifter/pushrod/rocker/valve guide that is causing the TAP.

3. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

Cool. I'm gonna go try that in a minute. So u think it's a valve train issue ?

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Sounds like it to me

5. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Wear some gloves and try carefully pulling one spark plug wire off at a time, if the sound goes away or changes then that will at least tell you what cylinder it's coming from. It sounds more like valvetrain to me as well than it does bottom end.

6. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

I tried using the feeler gauge at .006 there was no change. Tried every valve. Gonna try pulling plug wires to try and narrow it down

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

8. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

Might try and put a dial indicator on each rocker arm and see if there's any big difference between the valves. The crazy thing is most of the time it makes the noise in the video and sometimes it make a lower frequency knock. This thing drives me crazy hahaha

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Going by the sludge, it sounds about average for a '49-'56 Olds ... the whole valve train rattles, but doesn't ever seem to give trouble unless you decide to clean things up ...

10. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

Probably just put it back together and drive it until something lets go. And save up for a rebuild