Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 PONTIAC MILD CUSTOM

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ratrod40428, Dec 31, 2015.

1. johnc451

johnc451

This is such a cool project. Thanks for sharing your trial and re-vision process. If this is not "H.A.M.B worthy", I don't know what is.

2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Kool project, love the center console idea. Please keep us posted on the progress.

3. belair

belair

How did I miss this? Great job. You have really stayed focused. Love the 57 bumper and the use of the Silver Streak inside the car. Hope you get the trans figured out.

4. X2, great job. Love the straighteight.

5. Orn

Orn

Your Silver Streak center console is a brilliant idea. I wondered how it would look with the silver streak all over the roof so I made this photoshop of my 49 coupe to see how it turns out but I'm not sure if I like it or not... 12593703_244889222509297_7429421467937788179_o.jpg

6. I don't know about the whole roof what about a short piece recessed like a 58 chev?

7. loudbang

loudbang

8. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

I looked at every way I could think of to bring the trim "through" the car. The only way i could see it working was the center console idea. I was originally thinking about running it all the way through and running buckets in the backseat to.

9. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

I am trying to keep myself going on this thing, one piece at a time. I still have a long "to-do" list, and I'm having to jump around a little bit to avoid getting burnt out. Heres is a preview of things to come

I bought an extra gauge bezel of ebay for $20
    [​IMG]

Did some measuring and then spent a few $$ on a full set of Autometer gauges. 6 gauges; oil, temp, volt, fuel, speedo and tach.
    [​IMG]

Spent a little time measuring cutting, grinding, repeat.
    [​IMG]

Made a filler panel for the Speedo area out of some scrap aluminum
    [​IMG]

Test [​IMG]

loudbang and slo-dat like this.
  10. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

That took care of most of the gauges but I still wasn't sure where I was going to put the Tach. Then I figured it out. I had bought a 3 1/8" Tach, thinking it was gonna work. It was just to big, so I sent it back and got a 2 1/8" version.

[​IMG]

I removed the clock from the center of the speaker bezel and made a filler panel to hold the gauge. I then made a aluminum 3/4" spacer to push the gauge flush with the bezel and slapped it together.

loudbang likes this.
  11. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

Hopefully on my break at work tomorrow I can get the hole cut for the Speedo and finish mocking it all together. Then I gotta blow it all apart, start painting everything, pre-wire it and get it ready to go back in after I get the dash painted.

I decided that I'm going to paint all of the chrome bright silver with 80% clear(semi-gloss), it should look kinda like brushed aluminum and give a nice contrast against the green/white. That means all the dash chrome, center console, package tray chrome, hood chrome, trunk lid chrome and bumpers all need to get sanded and painted.

Between all that, painting the dash, jambing the parts, jambing the body, painting the roof, new wiring harness, new front springs, carpet kit/interior, etc etc etc... I have a lot to do before May 5th.

pics will continue as I make progress.

12. 51' Taildragger

51' Taildragger

13. CLM

CLM

Looking forward to seeing how the painted chrome turns out. I dropped off the hood ornament on Thursday at the powder coater. They had a sample of PPG Mirror Chrome (I think that was the name), with clear coat over it, that had a nice polished aluminum look to it. They have to wait for the powder to arrive but if I like how that turns out, then I will probably have them do the dash stuff as well. I just couldn't justify the $500 that the chrome shop wanted to do the hood ornament, powder coat should be about $100.

14. Fadi

Fadi

I really like the 'Silver Streak' through the interior. The hood trim on the package tray and console cuts a hell of a line; creative but right on the money with the feel of the car.

Also the color combo is almost exactly what I want to do with my '51 Olds. What is the green called? You said it's Sherwin Williams?

15. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

I thought about doing powder coat, I have a buddy that does it at home so I could have done it myself for just the cost of powder, but lot of my pieces are very pitted and have dents and dings. That, plus I do bodywork and paint for a living made painting everything just kinda make sense haha. I'll have all the dash/interior pieces painted this week. I'm excited to see the final product

16. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

Thanks for the compliments

That green is a 2014 Toyota color haha I don't remember what it's called, but the code is 6V4. I'm spraying PPG.

17. cmarcus

cmarcus

Looking awesome man. The console idea is incredible. Love the ingenuity

ratrod40428 likes this.
  18. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Really dig the console idea, thats going to look killer!

ratrod40428 likes this.
  19. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

It has been a VERY long few weeks, but it's finally time for an update. I've been busy busy busy. I'm going to try and lay this out in the right order, but we will see if that actually happens. 3 weekends in a row I was painting.

First off, 3 1/2 weeks ago I got the car torn the rest of the way apart; windshield out, doors off, etc.

[​IMG]

(weekend 1) I brought all of the interior parts and everything small that unbolts to work with me and tied up one of the paint booths all day painting pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(weekend 2) At that point, I had everything for the interior painted except the dashboard and steering column. So, the following week I got the dashboard sanded, prepped, masked and painted at my house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  20. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

(weekend 3) Im at the point now where I need to get the glass back in so I can start sealing the car up and getting it ready to drive again. This means that the roof and jambs all need to be painted.

I got the roof blocked out and wet sanded one night after work and all the jambs prepped the next day.

[​IMG]

Luckily I was able to talk my old boss into letting me use the paint booth at his shop for the roof and jambs, I didn't want to paint the roof at home in my little tent carport.

[​IMG]

even with no doors and interior that damn car is heavy haha my poor superduty was squatting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sealer on
    [​IMG]

Green on
    [​IMG]

Masked for white
    [​IMG]

White on
    [​IMG]

Cleared
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  21. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

I had to do the doors to
    [​IMG]

The car unmasked
    [​IMG]

I couldn't seem to get a picture of the green that did it any justice, this is the best I could do.
    [​IMG]

Squablow and HotRodRyan like this.
  22. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

Now comes the reassembly process. I haven't gotten very far in this step yet but i couldn't help but preview a few pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1952B3b23 and loudbang like this.
  23. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

That brings me just about current. I still have a lot of little pieces here and there to paint; door hinges, misc. covers and door parts, all the silver dash pieces, etc.

That will all be happening this weekend, all while I'm starting to put a new wiring harness in and doing some polishing and assembly on the doors/interior. Theres never enough hours in the weekend.

dogwalkin likes this.
  24. Rustomiser

Rustomiser

Definitely an out of the box thinker. Love the '57 chevy grille and the center console idea. Brilliant.

25. 50pontiacguy

50pontiacguy

Cars looking kick ass, I know everyone said it, but center console kicks ass. Keep up the great work poncho brotha!

26. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

On top of spending all my "free time" prepping and painting, I also bought/gathered a lot of goodies and parts. New wiring harness, headlight switch, ignition switch, shaved door handle kit, flame thrower kit(because I'm 12 at heart 0:)), fish tail harley tips for the exhaust, stereo, speakers, etc, etc, etc. plus a few gaskets and seals needed to put it all back together. After 2 years of looking I finally found a stock radio delete. Boxes just kept showing up, I'm pretty sure my GF wasn't planning on this part of the process haha

Yesterday I finally got a call from the upholstery shop that my seats were done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. Clean and simple without being boring, exactly what i was looking for.

loudbang likes this.
  27. CLM

CLM

Looking great!! Love the seats! Progress has slowed on mine, decided to push our paint date and spend a little family time resting. Happy wife, happy life! Lol

28. cmarcus

cmarcus

Holy moly brother, unreal!! SO SO SO close to the color I am painting on my car. I know of at least 2 other 4 door customs getting green (in addition to mine) over the next year. Must be the new black :)

Also, thanks for replying to paint thread. What color code is this? Might just need to copy exactly what you did... ;)

29. tazareno

tazareno

Cool poncho! That's some mighty fine work.

30. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Wow! Looks like you have been busy this month...PM sent sir...