Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 - 48 Ford guys ... a question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Terry

Terry

I was looking through my new EMS catalog last night and noticed they have 3 different firewalls for 46 - 48 Fords. Factory - SBC - BBC. My question is does the firewall need modified to fit a SBC in there?

I know in my 47 Merc I ran a 351 Cleveland and a 350 Chevy without cutting the frewall, but then Merc has a longer nose, so I was just wondering.

Thanks!

2. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

No, I've done 8 of them, and not cut any firewalls.

3. Kurt

Kurt

I used the Chassis Eng. trans mount to position everything and had plenty of room on my 48.

4. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

My car is a little off topic on this board, but I have a 46 that I'm putting a 93 LT1 SBC in to. On my car with the engine about as far back as we could get it I wouldn't have had room for a puller electric fan (no mechanical fan on LT1's). The LT1 is probably a little longer than a regular SBC due to the cam driven water pump so maybe this isn't an issue with a regular SBC but I thought it might help. I've also been told that it isn't necessary with a regular SBC but I wonder why Bitchin makes them if there's plenty of room. I think the SBC firewall is a 2" setback and the BBC is a 4" setback. Last time I looked I think EMS was just reselling the Bitchin stuff but that might not be true anymore and I might not remember right either :)

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Odd factoid: A mechanical fan setup actually exists for LT-1's. One of the magazines, probably Chevy HP, covered it with part numbers and such. I think it had a normal thermo fan on some kind of idler--don't remember details. It was for some HD police application where more serious capacity than the normal electric one was needed. Since this is a thoroughly obsolete specialized part, probably it would have to be found or replicated now.

6. Terry

Terry

Thanks guys.

BTW you mentioned Bitchn' products. A few years ago I called them on some parts I had a question about. That was by far the meanest, rudest, woman I ever spoke to!

7. My firewall is stock and my small chevy fits well.

8. bad gas

bad gas

where did you buy this? i looked at speedway and chassis eng. and had no luck:(

9. bad gas

bad gas

btt

10. sling392shot

sling392shot

Hey, You don't need no stinkin EMS firewall, use the stock one it looks on the money and it's the real deal. Perfect fit for a SBC. Nuff Said!!! :)

Ash

I have nothing against EMS, You just don't need it.

11. my 48 had a 354 Hemi installed in 1958 without a mark on the firewall. I'm in the process of moving the stock firewall back 14 inches for little change in the weight distribution. same Hemi though.;)

12. KATFISH

KATFISH

Well Yeah,

Thats why they're called "bitchin" products..

Seriously, though thats too bad, i've used everything i think they make for fat fords (46) and never had a problem .

Maybe just not her day...

13. 26 roadster

26 roadster

the reason is their design came from Batson's sheet metal, they copied it exactly. Ron Batson is now out of business

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Put a late model 350 in my 46 convertible. Did not have to touch the firewall. No room to use a mechanical fan. Used a Walker Radiator with dual electric fans, A/C and you could not get this car to overheat.

15. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

I'm runnin' a long pump SBC 350 in a '46 coupe with HEI and no firewall problems.