Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ALTERED thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 3, 2016.

1. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Looking through some old files I found some more. Joe

Attached Files:

EVL401, cruiserjohn76, loner2 and 7 others like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

How can we forget the Flexible flying "NANOOK" :eek:

Nanook T-bucket fuel altered AAFA 1.jpg

Another view looks like something broken by the right front wheel !!

Nanook T-bucket fuel altered AAFA 2.jpg

Nanook T-bucket fuel altered AAFA 3.jpg

3. Great pictures !

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

Fuel Altereds Forever....

5. Picture of my Dad I think this is at the San Fernando track. . If y'all could help me is there a website where I can go to and find out where vintage car races or modern Fuel Altered races are Tx especially central Tx .[​IMG]

EVL401, cruiserjohn76, loner2 and 9 others like this.
  6. Larry T

Larry T

7. Thank you . I know where they race NHRA here in Tx I'm going with my son at the end of April to Houston but have no idea where the other races are at . Thanks for the help and I know my Dad went to some races a couple times in San Antonio they only lived in Tx for 7 yrs before he passed so that must of been a Outlaw race

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

Guys I know we all love altereds of all types but we need to keep this to the era that the HAMB was made for please no photos of modern cars sorry.

9. loudbang

loudbang

Got a bunch more today been suffering from after action let down and have to keep my mind busy. Some of you Veterans will know what I mean. :confused:

The Pipins & Green AA/FA was the first fuel altered for a man who made his name in fuel altereds, Don Green. The little Ford T Bucket was driven by partner Butch Pipins in the very tough So-Cal wars of the late sixties. The team was one of the first altereds to run a front end spoiler, taking a different approach than Mousie Marcellus and Wild Willie Borschs application of a huge rear wing on their machine. In 1968, Pipins ran a known best of 8.29 at 189.86. This was before the advent of the slider clutch, which enabled times to drop into the sevens overnight and catapulted speeds over the 200 MPH barrier. The Pipins & Green AA/FA was reborn as The Trip in 1969 when Don Green built his first Rat Trap Bantam.

Pipin Greens.jpg

The Bad News fuel altered had a sporadic history in the So-Cal fuel altered wars in the sixties. This was the final edition of the famed Fiat Topolino, caught in 1968 at Irwindale. The car dates back to at least 1960, when a very short version of the car (under 90 inches of wheelbase) made its debut with Bob Sidebotham doing the driving. The steel bodied car raced off and on through out the sixties with various drivers such as Sidebotham, Troy Delmar, Lyle Webster, and Gary Southern all taking rides. Gary Southern ran the machines known best with a run of 8.17 at 178.92 in 1969.

Bad news.jpg

Bowers, Paris & Reeds "Mother-In-Law" might have been just one of the many fuel altereds that raced in the So-Cal area in the late sixties and early seventies, but it was one of the first to run 200 MPH. The little Bantam roadster was driven to success by team member Red Paris. According to drag racing historian Bill Duke, the basic car debuted in 1964 as a steel bodied, blown fuel altered Fiat. The chassis and motor were retained for years, with refinements being made year to year. A fiberglass Bantam body eventually replaced the heavy all steel Fiat body. The car ran competitive 7.60s at 200 MPH but got little recognition.

Bowers Paris reed.jpg

Gil Hayward's "Monkey Motion" AA/FA

Gil Hayward\'s Monkey Motion AA FA.jpg

"15 Oz" coupe from the vintage photo thread today

15 OZ.jpg

Bradford family fiat

Bradford family fiat.jpg

"Gretchko Bros" bantam

Gretchko Bros bantam.jpg

"Hillbilies" fiat

Hillbilies fiat.jpg

EVL401, cruiserjohn76, loner2 and 9 others like this.
  10. This is the LIONS track. The car is the former Ed Taylor Blown Olds Austin 7 roadster.
    [​IMG]

11. loudbang

loudbang

These things must have grown on trees back in the day I keep finding more and more photos.

"The Bandido" altered was not raced for very long but it was a beauty. The Bill Finnacle Bandido Bantam was originally the Beebe Bros and Sixt car.

The Bandido.jpg

The "Burkholder Bros" Fuel Fiat blazes the hides.

The Burkholder Bros Fuel Fiat blazes the hides.jpg

The "DiMatteo Brothers" had the best looking Fuel Altered. And it had enough power to do the twist LOL.

The DiMatteo Brothers had the best looking Fuel Altered..jpg

The Scrounger was another great So-Cal altered. Run by Stan Lucas and Tom Koulan, the cars name was derived from Lucas having to scrounge parts just to run the Bantam altered. The low buck racers ran the altered with moderate success despite having little money. Stan later drove the Beaver Hunter for Nolan Pritchard and teamed with Rod Lucas to help the class survive the early eighties with an AA/FA run under many names. Tom Koulan moved to Missouri in '74 and teamed with Steve Picou on the Koulan & Picou '23 T pickup AA/FA followed by the Gateway Shaker Mustang II BB/FC, the Koulan & Picou AA/DA and the National Parts Peddler-sponsored TF car.

The Scrounger.jpg

"WARLORD" going for the sky

WARLORD....jpg

Walker and Hurst bantam with "T" bucket push car. At Mickey Thompson's fontana

Walker and hurst ... push car.jpg

Unknown coupe C/A LOL looks like a hippie invasion.

Unknown coupe c A.jpg

12. loudbang

loudbang

Two of the more famous altereds.

First up "Mondello & Matsubara" Fiat

Mondello Matsubara 1jpg.jpg

Mondello Matsubara.jpg

different paint
    Mondello\'s Fiat Topolino AAFA.jpg

Next up the man who needs no intro yet more of "Wild Willie" in the "Winged Express

In this one it looks like his arm is still there.

Wild willie winged express has arm.jpg

Winged express.jpg

I forgot to add I'm no expert and if anyone feels any captions are incorrect please feel free to jump in with what you think is correct or can identify any of the unknowns. The power of the HAMB it's MEMBERS.

13. loudbang

loudbang

Well look who we get in our altereds page today. Can you believe it's The NASCAR king himself Richard Petty.

NASCAR’s loss became drag racing’s gain when Chrysler pulled its banned Hemi cars from the premier Grand National circuit. At Bristol’s inaugural Springnationals, Richard Petty’s “Outlawed” Barracuda topped B/Altered trophy at 10.62/131, then went two more rounds in Competition Eliminator.

B A.jpg

14. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Sad ending to that story Loudbang. Nice shot that I do not think I have ever seen before.

Danny Brown and loudbang like this.
  16. Bowers on the Mother In Law car . I wonder If that is Larry Bowers from Bowers Blowers he was a good friend of my Dads for many years I use to go to his house a lot until my parents moved to Northern California The monkey car do you know if that is Gil in the picture driving the car ? Why I ask because my Dad always wore a purple helmet with a Yogi Bear on it all the time I don't know how popular purple helmets were back then .

Deuces, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  18. This so great to see all the cars in color a lot of the photo's I have of my Dad are black and white . Do you know who is driving the Mondello car ?

loudbang likes this.
  19. Thank you very much Dean for the information

20. loudbang

loudbang

Yea for sure, there was a newspaper account of the crash but I figured everybody knew the story and left it out.

21. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry it didn't say who the driver was.

22. 12745780_835828049860611_594779192897663250_n.jpg
    [​IMG]

@AHotRod
    These look like they may be the same car, am I guessing right?

Doesn't matter how popular purple helmets were back then you absolutely could not miss the Yogi Bear helmet either in the pits or staging. ;)

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

modern day photo, not Willie....Mike Boyd at the wheel
    -1.jpg

EVL401, cruiserjohn76, loner2 and 6 others like this.
  24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

San Gabriel Valley Drag Strip, aka "San Gabe" -2.jpg

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This car crashed and rolled at Irwindale in 1966.
    The lettering font was different and in gold leaf.
    -3.jpg

EVL401, loner2, Stebo27 and 6 others like this.
  26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Sush Matsubara

27. Larry T

Larry T

One that passed through my hands many years ago, supposedly a class winner at OKC Nationals. It was a center steer car.

A Altered.jpg

EVL401, Stebo27, Pufff and 3 others like this.
  28. The 15oz coupe and this one have always been my favorite altereds.

[​IMG]

I have never seen a pic of the crate staging but I did get to sit in it once at a car show. :D

EVL401, cruiserjohn76, loner2 and 7 others like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Fixed it :rolleyes: